Antioch vs Centennial

bud

Living here in Nashville (300 miles from Dobyns Bennett) I have decided to go see these two teams that I have not seen before. I think it will be a good matchup. I also want to see Coker for Antioch. I really believe it will be one of the better 5A 1st round matchups.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is probably one of the more interesting matchups of 1 versus 4. Centennial comes from a tougher region, but Antioch is one of the most athletic teams that you will see at any classification. Two south suburban Nashville teams going at it. Centennial has kind of become the trendy 5A upset pick in the first round and that kind of scares me. I believe Antioch CAN blow them off the field, but I also believe that if Centennial can just stay in Antioch's hip pocket into the third quarter, they will have a great chance at winning. The thing about Centennial that I don't like in this game is that they play a similar style of play as Antioch, but Antioch does it with much better athletes. If the scheme is similar, give me the better athletes. A team like Franklin or Brentwood from Region 6 would have a lot better matchup against Antioch than Centennial, or even Dickson County for that matter, because Brentwood and Franklin can nullify Antioch's team speed and swarming D by spreading the ball around the field and making them play on their heels. I'm going with Antioch in this on 27-14, just because I don't believe Centennial is multiple enough on offense to beat them.

So, as fast as I've heard Antioch is this year, it can be contained. No offense to Gallatin, because they're pretty awesome, but they do it with outstanding coaching and exectution and strength before they do it with speed. They beat Antioch. Centennial will have just as much speed as Gallatin, so it can be done. Also, I think when they're on, Centennial can run on anybody. Saying that, if CHS holds them without the big, long gains, then we're good. If it can be a matchup of long, sustained drives, that is Centennial's best bet. We can't win if we have to match 60 yard runs with them. We'll get some with Curtis Steele, but not enough to bank on.

I'm convinced that if Antioch has just one player to stop, Centennial can do it... if their whole offense runs through Coker, then the Cougars have a pretty good chance... the games they've lost this year have been because two or three people have beaten them... if Antioch is as one-dimensional as I've heard, Centennial could have an easy time here... I think this is the year the Cougars get over another hump and win a playoff game... it's all about baby steps for them...

Antioch has sophomore Preston Brown, who in the last few weeks, has been carrying a lot of the load off of Coker. He has 4 100 yard games here in the season's second half. And against Hunters Lane, they used that big fullback a lot late and he's a load. So, don't key too much on Coker, he's only averaging 17 carries per game. True enough, their passing game is limited because they lost their QB in the first game to a knee injury. But they run the ball in a lot of different ways, and that my friends, can cause you a lot of problems. As I stated earlier in this thread, I think Centennial is a battle tested bunch that will cause Antioch some problems, but Centennial tries to play the same way Antioch does, without Antioch's personnel. When the styles are similar, you have to pick the team with the better athletes. AHS 27-14, but it will be a closer game than the score.