McMinn County V.S. Dobyns Bennet

MCHSGoTribe

McMinn Co. fans, be prepared. J. Fred Johnson Stadium on Friday night is as good as it gets anywhere in the state. I have traveled there for many games over the years. My son, a Senior this year went to games with me there when he was playing football with the other kids behind the visitors bleachers in Center and Right fields of the converted baseball field. He told me before we went there last year for the playoffs, that he was thrilled to go play in that atmosphere. He remembered from earlier years when he used to show up in the bleachers at halftime to say "Are we going to lose again?" He was bound and determined now to beat these guys on their field. The Indians at their stadium is like playing Notre Dame in South Bend or The Yankees in Yankee Stadium. There is a certain mystique. If you come out of there with a win, it will have been the game of their young lives. I am not saying they cannot be beat, we almost got them this year, but I have sure had many long rides home.

Anyway, best of luck to both teams. I am not going to pick a winner. We will play whoever wins, if we get past Jeff. Co. this Friday.

As much as it would be easy to say we would prefer getting McMinn back at our place next week, we would love to go to Kingsport and play the Indians for the ever elusive win at J. Fred Jonson Stadium. We have to take care of business with Jeff Co. or we won't have to wonder if we could have won at D-B or beat McMinn Co. twice in one season.

Roll Wildcats Roll!

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

McMinn Co. fans, be prepared. J. Fred Johnson Stadium on Friday night is as good as it gets anywhere in the state. I have traveled there for many games over the years. My son, a Senior this year went to games with me there when he was playing football with the other kids behind the visitors bleachers in Center and Right fields of the converted baseball field. He told me before we went there last year for the playoffs, that he was thrilled to go play in that atmosphere. He remembered from earlier years when he used to show up in the bleachers at halftime to say "Are we going to lose again?" He was bound and determined now to beat these guys on their field. The Indians at their stadium is like playing Notre Dame in South Bend or The Yankees in Yankee Stadium. There is a certain mystique. If you come out of there with a win, it will have been the game of their young lives. I am not saying they cannot be beat, we almost got them this year, but I have sure had many long rides home.

Anyway, best of luck to both teams. I am not going to pick a winner. We will play whoever wins, if we get past Jeff. Co. this Friday.

As much as it would be easy to say we would prefer getting McMinn back at our place next week, we would love to go to Kingsport and play the Indians for the ever elusive win at J. Fred Jonson Stadium. We have to take care of business with Jeff Co. or we won't have to wonder if we could have won at D-B or beat McMinn Co. twice in one season.

Roll Wildcats Roll!

Im guessing you have never been to a home football game at Mcminn County. The whole community comes out to support the game, and the student section is hugeeeeee! The house is packed and if you come out of there with a win then my hats go off to you. Even though I am from Mcminn County, I have to say DB will win this game. There are 2 many sick starters and not enough "MO" going to DB for us to win. If our players are 100% and the game is played in Athens, TN..... I have to say there is no way DB can beat us on our home field. Sorry but its the truth- the Cherokees come alive at home and are basically unstoppable. We do have a weakness though.. away games! Good luck to all the players, and hopefully Mcminn will come out with an upset.

Hey DB fans what is the deal about the large crowd @ the game this week. Are we talking 5,000 or 10,000. Coach Clark said in the paper he is hopeing for a large turnout. How big is large? In Athens we have been told you wont go to many high school games that have much larger crowds than this place @ DB and they say it is loud because of the band.

McMinn has good fan support but the whole community? I don't think so. I was at the game last week against Science Hill and it didn't look to me to be any more crowded than normal (many empty seats). I was actually disappointed that there weren't more people there. Obviously, the Tribe is tough at home or they wouldn't be undefeated there this year, but I don't know how intimidating the environment is to other teams.

P.S. Do any of you have jobs?

Guesswho?

Guess again. I was at McMinn Co. last year when the Oak Ridge Wildcats trounced your Cherokees 44-3. Now, I tried to be nice in my post and let you think you may have a chance at D-B. But since you started it, here is the deal.

Yes, you guys usually have a good crowd, but they thin out quick when you get trounced at home. We led 21-0 at D-B this year, and fortunately for them their crowd stayed to cheer them to a come from behind victory. I have seen good McMinn Co. teams play at Athens, and it is a good atmosphere, and I can tell you that you have never seen the crowd at your field in Athens that you will see on the opposing side at D-B. I probably would not bother bringing the horse, either, because if it goes like your Oak Ridge Game last year, the horse will not be needed, since he does not come out for a Field Goal.

Now, I will make a prediction....Cherokees, healthy or ill

D-B 35

McMinn maybe 3

And don't be mad, Cherokee Fans, because you're Guesswho? started it. Enjoy the off-season. Be prepared next year for the Wildcats. They are realigning the alignment back to 3AAA after that, so maybe you can go undefeated at home every year, since the Wildcats won't ruin your parade. By the way, that Science Hill team you beat last week only beat Campbell Co. 3-0. Campbell Co. HAHA

Go Dobbyns-Bennett, hope to win Fri. night and bring it to you next week.

The mood is being set for a Cherokee upset. I'm not making any predictions, because there are so many different variables in high school football, and especially in this ballgame. I know these guys from McMinn personally for the most part, and they are remaining humble and are just excited about the chance to knock off DB on Friday. I'll say one thing they have the best attitude possible coming into this one.

Go Cherokees!

Go Patriots!

CatsR#1 what you failed to put in your post was the beating that your OR team took @ DB after being up 21-0. You think that your team is so very good and our McMinn team is so very bad and on 10-3-03 that was the case even your head coach made that statement, but he also said this was the most physical team they had played all year.

OR is a good football team and has alot of talanted football players and is deep in tradition but I suppose that you have forgotten the Jefferson Co. team that beat you guys something like 55-7 several years ago @ OR.

Please don't attack McMinn County football just because someone post something saying they are a cherokee fan, who knows what they might be trying to start.

You take care of Jeff and we will try to take care of DB and show them that Region 2-5A is superior and then we will play again next week @ OR.

The charter buses for the team are departing @ 12:50 and I will be right behind them, if not infront. I stick close to the TRIBE when we are on the road. As you might already know we hear the atmosphere @ DB is great, tailgating, really large crowds and lots of excitement. This should be alot of fun for players and also for our fans. GO TRIBE!!!!!!

Have you heard anymore on #60 ?

As of last night he said that he was about 25% better than at the begining of the week. If last night was Friday he would have been lucky to even make the trip up. He said that he is doing better though, and I will be talking to him later today. If he does go tomorrow he won't be riding the team bus, because he has to take stuff for his breathing. Just keep hoping for the best and I'm going to try to get another update on him.

Go Cherokees!

The latest news from Athens is not looking good. The coaching staff has three coaches sick and many players are still not practicing. Coach Hutchins himself missed Tuesday and Wednesday and was not sure about today. This is not good timing, but life is about overcoming obstacles. The back-ups have practiced all year(and their parents have griped for an opportunity), so saddle up Cherokees and win one for my Patriots.