3 Tennessee guys Big 12 starters...

legman

Challenge matches for the University of Nebraska and Oklahoma State took place over the last several days. There's some good news from our boys.

Rusty Blackmon earned the starting spot at 197 lbs. for OSU. He defeated his first opponent 10-0 and earned his starting position with a 9-4 decision in the finals.

Matt Keller defeated a 4X Iowa finalist and 2X State Champion in his first match, then defeated 3 year Senior starter Joey Malia in the finals, 16-13.

Kevin Ward won his first match by a 7-3 score, then defeated Johnny Hendricks of Oklahoma in the finals by a 3-1 OT score. Hendricks was a HS National Champion.

How 'bout those Tennessee boys ??

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is wonderful to see our TN boys doing well in OK & NE! Oklahoma is a true 'hot bed' of wrestlers. In the last few years we have cranked out some great guys that are out there wrestling at the NCAA levels. TN needs to keep producing this level of athlete. Remember the saying, 'If you build it, they will come." Well, I can hear them coming!

Thats great! Man when I was in middle school all I ever heard out of my older brother(Brian Massengale from Hixson 2001 grad.) was about this awesome wrestler who pinned him in like 15sec, and must of told me a million times about it, "Yeah I was like a sophmore and Rusty Blackmon just spanked the crap out of me, now there was a good wrestler, he is gonna do some great things." Well to this day he still tells that story, so its nice to see him doing good in College and I wish himthe best of luck down the road. =)

Since we have moved this post from Big 12 to other conference news, David Wipperman from Franklin Road Academy and a freshman at the Citadel, is on the Citadel team and recently wrestled in the Keydet Invitational, an annual open wrestling tournament hosted by VMI, held on Nov. 1. He went 1-2 at 174 lbs.

Citadel entered a bunch of wrestlers in the West Virginia Open this past weekend. Don't know if Wipperman was one of them. However, Citadel's No. 1 guy at 174 is a junior who is ranked 19th nationally and is team captain.

I'm not sure ( and anyone who knows differently please fell free to correct me) but I don't think Tennessee high schools have produced an NCAA D-I champion since Bill Harlow, who wrestled at St. Andrews Military Academy on Monteagle, won an NCAA title for Oklahoma State at 191 in 1966. But as Tennesse schools produce more Simpsons, Kellers, Wards and Blackmons that dry spell is hopefully going to end soon.