Boyd vs. CAK

bucsfan

topraymore...i cant talk football when i have the mystery of who you are on my mind. bigchow is not and has never been a cak student so i dont think he knows guitar will. burkhart i assume? i agree with your statement about boyd. i understand they are being built up to be a great team, which i dont doubt. but i too would like for these boyd fans and players to break it down peice by peice. i'd like to know what key players there are. and areas of strength and weakness.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

topraymore,

sorry been a little busy with school so i havent posted in a while. ATY is right i never went to CAK but #7 for CAK is a very close friend of mine. I could have gone to CAK and i would have played basketball and football etc but i had already started at one of the worst schools in the area, West, and didn't want to lose a year of eligibilty. I played several sports there. I have a lot of bad memories from our athletics but i wont go into that. So I have been supporting #7, #54, #57, #9 and the rest of the warriors. And if ATY is right i also know your son from several years ago, and i probably live about 5 minutes from you. I am glad that i have a team i can support in high school sports now and friends like ATY and others that i can go to the games with.

I hope the warriors make state and i will go to every game until they lose.

CHOW

Back to serious football .................

I've heard several folks talk about Boyd's likely dominance, but I haven't heard anyone indicate specifically just how they're so dominant.  Is it the QB?  Power and/or speed at running back?  An unstoppable offensive line?  Man eating linebackers?  Outrageous speed in the secondary?  A field goal kicker with 60 yd range?  As they say over here in Knoxville - I'm just a ole country boy from East Tennessee.  I don't have any film to watch so please help me understand why we're so outmatched by these folks.

And one more thing, would everyone please try to find something (besides football) to be thankful for this week.

GOoooooo Warriors!!!

I am a Buc fan. I make the following statements based on experience as a TSSAA football official for 13 years. I have seen a lot of football and have worked many playoff games. This is not intended as trash talk and I believe that BBS will need to bring their "A" game to win.

Since you asked...

It is a team of great players and not just a couple of super stars.

Is it the QB? Yes.

Drew Akins runs the ball well and can pass. He also gives the backs an extra step by carrying out fakes. If the linebackers are cheating to stop the running back the coaches in the box will see. Then the QB fakes to the back, who hits the hole the same as if he had the ball, and the QB keeps the ball going the other way. As far as the passing game... Drew does a great job with it as well. The receivers -- Trip Wingo, Taylor Yother, Ryan Headden, Daniel Atchley and Matt Henley just to name a few -- all have hands like flypaper.

Power and/or speed at running back? Yes.

Matt Henley at fullback hits the line like a truck and tends to get positive yardage even if first contacted in the backfield. If he gets the ball on a screen pass he has power and speed that make it tough on the secondary. Matt Peardon at tailback has great speed and a tremendous ability to make people miss. Also, both of these guys have backups that are almost as good.

An unstoppable offensive line? Yes.

The offensive line is well coached and smart. Their ability to use their speed and leverage has allowed them to dominate the line play in games where they have not given up too much in size. It has also allowed them to play pretty well against teams that have out sized them.

Man eating linebackers? Yes.

The Davis brothers are a force to be reckoned with. Jeremy Davis was the defensive player of the game as a junior in last year's state championship game. It seems that his little brother Jason may have learned a thing or two from his big brother (he may have taught him a thing or two also.) The point is that they are tough linebackers. Oh and not to forget Matt Henley who hits just as hard on defense as he does as a running back. You did not mention the defensive line so I will add a little about them here. They seem to be able to get off any one on one block to get to the ball carrier. They also have a nose for the ball. I have seen, more than once, a double team having one of them on the ground and they still reach out and grab the back by the leg and trip them up. With Ryan Beagles, Robby Armstrong, Dan Moore and Taylor Yother in the line… you have to run toward one of them.

Outrageous speed in the secondary? I would not say outrageous speed but it is adequate.

Any player who catches a pass or makes it past the line and the linebackers better be holding on to the ball, because he is going to get pounded. Ryan Headden and Robert Coleman have delivered some of the hardest blows I have ever seen in a high school football game.

A field goal kicker with 60 yd range? Maybe.

Weston Perry kicked a 39-yard field goal (Against SP) from the right hash and the ball was dead center and a good 12 to 15 feet above the uprights. I would guess that it would have been good from another 20 yards back. He also kicks most of the kickoffs into the end zone. This shuts down any great return man the other team may have. Weston is also the punter and does an outstanding job. The punt team also has a couple of headhunters that will deliver a blow to the return man. Several time this year this part of the game has produced big turnovers.

Sorry, I did not mean to write a book… but you did ask… ;)

I look forward to another great football game this Friday.

Edited by smithke

It will take a few small miracles for CAK to pull this one out, with this being said, I do believe in miracles. Several have already occured. CAK has been winning for a reason, is the reason over, I guess we,ll find out Friday night. With God ,ALL things are possible.