OAK RIDGE VS RIVERDALE

FairInMyFavor

ORFever - we drove over this time instead of taking the bus so for all I know 'Mr. Hot Chocolate' may have been over at the bus - I'll ask folks at the next game. Who was that back in 95 by the way - do you know? - I real nice man..

Now, to falconstatman's comments - gee - sounds like sour grapes - perhaps because we won at the Pit the week before? (How many teams have won at the Pit and the Ship in back to back playoff weeks?) :P

"We went to the OR/Riverdale game, and if that wasn't pass interference on that play then I don't know what pass interference is."

I don't know where you were sitting? Are your referring to two passes down the sidelines on the home side late in the game or the play over on the visitor side down on the 10 yard line or so? We were sitting on the highest seat on the visitor side dead on the 50 and we couldn't really tell what happened on the two passes down on the sidelines around the 5 on the home side but we laughed when the homeside booed/groaned on the play down on the 10 on our side because the kids were about 3 yards apart, our guy slipped cutting for the ball and the OR guys slipped about a 1/2 second later trying to make the same cut - but they were'nt close enough to each other to even make contact - I am pretty sure the OR receiver on that play will attest to that now that the game is over?

I think that one of the biggest plays of the game was the personal foul call against OR when Riverdale had the ball at midfield in the second half, and they were stopped and facing 3rd and around 20,and the penality changed it to 2nd and 2.
Gee - don't they call penalties for late hits in Lincoln County? It was pretty late...

One other play that I couldn't understand was with OR driving in the second half OR suddenly changed QB.'s and the first play they get a illegal procedure penality then get sacked on the next and all their momentum was gone at that point.

Our guess was that #8 was hurt - he stood in and took some huge hits all night. He was slow to get up a couple of times. Our #52, Jeremy Alsup, got to him a few times just as he released the ball, causing more than one duck to be thrown.

And to whoever commented Choak Ridge earlier in this thread. How?? Choking teams don't hold Riverdale to 0 first downs in the 4th quarter. Choking teams don't convert 4th and 21s... Choking teams don't have Quarterbacks who try to will their teams to a win...

I have been watching Riverdale football for 10 years now, but like we were talking about at Cracker Barrel on the way home, we may have seen two of the best games you could hope to see in football, at any level, and both games were worthy of being the state championship game :P

Edited by davidlimbaugh

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been watching Riverdale football for 10 years now, but like we were talking about at Cracker Barrel on the way home, we may have seen two of the best games you could hope to see in football, at any level, and both games were worthy of being the state championship game :P

Seeing those last 2 doesn't it make you wonder how the state championship game can compare???

I wish I would have been there last night :P

Davidlimbaugh, to be honest I don't remember what play....not even sure that it was one of the big ones of the game. It wasn't the one over on the visitor side that you are talking about. It was fairly late in the game, I only noticed cause the Riverdale player came crashing into the sidelines pretty hard. That was what caught my attention, when some of our guys tried to move/help him up he came straight up in the faces and actually continued doing that while he was being pulled back to the field. I know it's easy to sit back and be critical and these guys are teenagers, after all.

And, You are so right about the choak ridge comment!! I'm proud of our night and our boys! If that person would look back they would see that we kept Riverdale to their lowest score of the season. Not enough for the win, but still a matter of pride! Now you all have to win it all to justify our loss!! HA

And, you are so right about Scott (#8)! That boy played his heart out and led his team with CLASS!! Not enough words can be said about how hard he fought! Thanks again for all the kind words! Go Warriors!

GO CATS!

Dear Football Fans,

One other play that I couldn't understand was with OR driving in the second half OR suddenly changed QB.'s and the first play they get a illegal procedure penality then get sacked on the next and all their momentum was gone at that point.

That one will haunt me for a while!

Getting right to the game, I have to believe that some hearts beated really hard with OR at 5 and 25 secs left. I am a Wildcat from day one and have seen that happen on this side. I thought a run would do it...sure, stopped most of the night but 5 yards...we will never know now. A tip by an alert RD man and that was it.

Great game! Sorry to be on the losing end. Gotta blieve you RD folks feared for a few seconds there!

As for the quote above, I would like to know why it happened. This totally stopped the best drive of OR for the game. They were moving and not being stopped. Who knows. As for Booker, his shoulder was banged up(seperated) and he was late coming down for the second half. Still, played on. You gotta respect OR!

I found out why RD doesn't pass...can't. Can they run? You better believe it.

Great defense...both sides. How many times was RD held cold? Several. OR? several but they proved they could break the RD pass defense. Untill....the last play of the game. Great game. Good defense on both sides. We will see if this was the real champ game or not next Sat.

You RD folks, do your stuff, whip the daylights out of Germantown. West TN teams aren't used to the big one. But, don't underrate them. Maybe Franklin did... fatal mistake. Go for it all, RD.

God Bless. Dart.

I think you are right, David Limbaugh. It was a shame that anyone had to lose this game.

All of the rain made the Blankenship turf tough treading for both teams. My hat is off to Riverdale and their fans. The Warriors had an answer for everything Oak Ridge threw at them last night. Dave Thomas looked good with what was a slick ball through most of the game. It was fun seeing the snow falling down over the lights and I think I got a pretty good pic on the digital camera looking back onto the field with the snow and the lights, haven't looked yet.

Booker and Gulmire were both hurting throughout most of the game and played the grittiest ball I have seen in quite some time. They played with tremendous heart. I knew we were going to have a tough road to hoe when I saw Booker on the sideline nursing his shoulder and Gulmire limping through warmups after halftime.

Riverdale is fast, and this was on a soggy field. I would hate to see these guys on turf. It looks like OR guessed wrong on the long run and slanted to the wrong side when Frazier took off. OR has lots of speed in the secondary, but nobody could catch him.

There were some questionable calls in the game. The long pass where there was some contact could have been called as pass interference. I thought I saw the tackle on the home side move maybe half a count early on the long TD run by Frazier, but those are not excuses. You have to find a way to fight through the adversity, and we did. The kids did not let down and kept fighting hard.

There has been some grumbling about the play calling already, and I am sure there will be more. I will admit that a few calls surprised me, however I will also say that hindsight is 20-20 and with injuries to both Booker and Gulmire it can limit some of the things you can do.

ORWildcat30 - You guys represented this community all year long and the entire time this senior class has hit the field at Blankenship. We appreciate all of your hard work and I wish you luck in your travels after high school.

Looks like you guys have pretty much covered everything that happened in the game. It was a great game played in some pretty miserable conditions. It would be great to see these teams play again in a warm, dry place.

OR controlled the field position with great kicking and defense. I still can't believe we won this one after having played the whole game on our end of the field. A couple of really great defenses were on display Friday night.

I could watch Lincoln County, Oak Ridge, and Riverdale play each other all year long. Talk about some evenly matched teams.

There will always be calls, or non-calls, to be questioned when a game is this close. In the end, I prefer the non-calls...let the kids decide the game.

Maybe the most exciting game I've ever witnessed. OR did everything they could do to win...they are a great, great football team.

My hats off to a very small, very gutsy Riverdale senior class. These guys have shown some great leadership.

Okay I don't know if anyone will see this since no one is probably checkin out this thread anymore, but a lot of people had questions about why we switched quaterbacks there towards the end. Scott (#8) wasn't hurt, well he was banged up but nothing more than usual...not enough to have to sit out. We have, had, a package called 'Fast Break' and that's what you saw. Basically we take out some of the slower people, some lineman, some backs, and the quarterback and replace them with people who are more athletic. At the first of the season Corey Booker went in as a sort of QB/ Runningback (kinda like the old single-wing offense of the old days), but this didn't work very well and Booker had a few INTs. About midway through the season the coaches put Cody Cofer in at QB for the Fast Break package. The idea is just that we were trying to get someone with a little more agility. Well that's that, no opinions there just letting ya'll know exactly what that was all about...........

good luck Riverdale