Columbia

flyer

One day the new coach will be pretty good but right now he is in dire need of a mentor. Seems when these young guys come in they are all about proving how good they are when it takes years of practice.His team has good athletes and are coachable. Other coaches (aau) have won with these same guys. I just hope he is smart enough to see he needs some guidance and humble enough to admit he doesn't know it all yet. If he doesn't he will sure hear it from the fans there who are used to winning and he is also hurting his players. Even Pat Summit will ask for help or seek out help for her team so they can be successful.

I do not know this new coach but if he is looking for a mentor he has a great one in the same town that he is coaching in. His name is Gene McBee. He is one of the greatest coaches these parts have ever since. He has seen and coached basketball for about 200 years. Coach McBee could really help this guy if he needed it.

• 3 weeks later...

Didn't coach graves coach at Arkansas as an assistant under Nolan Richardson? Besides, it's high school basketball...not rocket science. Central went from a team with 6 or 7 seniors to a team with 1 senior. Don't you guys get it? It takes experience to win. When you don't have players with size and experience it takes time to figure things out. From what I saw, Central won by 51 the other night...doesn't matter how bad a team is, it takes good coaching and talent to win by 51.

As I understand the only head coaching job he has held was a middle school job. I also said he just needed to be wise enough to ask for direction when needed. Also as I understand McBee has retired but does coach one of Central's returning players, his grandson Walker. He has had some of them in AAU.

So in your opinion you have to have prior high school head coaching experience to be a head coach??? I am confused? Apparently you don't understand how the coaching world works. It isn't about what your last title was, it is about how much you understand the game. Apparently you are able to tell me all about his character (I just hope he is smart enough to see he needs some guidance and humble enough to admit he doesn't know it all yet...your words) and you don't even know him. I don't know Coach Graves, but claiming that he is arrogant simply because he applied for a head coaching job and happened to get it without prior high school head coaching experience is a bit overstated...don't you think? Humility is the opposite of arrogance...a pretty offensive thing to call someone. Besides, how do you know he isn't getting mentored by someone else (heaven forbid we think there are better coaches outside of middle TN!!) I don't mean to pick on you, but at least state a point and back it up with facts. I have stated the fact that your opinion is a bit overstated, I didn't pass a judgement on you, because I don't know you. By second guessing this coach's ability all you do is effect his players, which are kids. I am more worried about these kids than anything else, don't do them disservice by passing judgement and placing doubt on their leader, his job is difficult enough. No offense meant, just remember we are all here to help these kids.

;) Some good posts on this topic, but lets get the facts straight about the players,past and present. Central had 5 seniors last year, three starters and two off the bench. Central has two seniors this year, Gray and Tony Richard. A solid Junior class and the Sophmores were undefeated last year as freshmen. They were the best freshmen class at central in 6/7 years. Columbia should still be very good by post season.