Best coach?

yurgen

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

George Quarles of Maryville is a great one.Maryville has gone to a different level since Quarles showed up. 107-17 since 1995 with 4 state titles.

The best rebuilding job has been done by Don Woods of Morristown West.

Morristown West was a team that used to never go anywhere in the playoffs. Now they are a state powerhouse. Don Woods has done a great job at Morristown West.

I have to say coach Quarles' record mentioned in the above post is quite impressive. How old is he? Coach Roger Perry from Portland has compiled a 136-41 record at Portland since 1990 (1 state championship and 2 runner up years). I'm not sure what his total is including his years as Westmoreland's head coach. Before coach Perry arrived in Portland the team was hit and miss throughout the 80s. I think he has helped provide stability and consistency for Portland. He will be the first to tell you though that he has had great assistant coaches to help him along the way.

Edited by danwastheman

I would have to say Tharp, recently at Sycamore. He built that program and has been the only coach since the school opened. They first year with all freshman they went undefeated playing a freshman schedule. The next year with only sophmores and juniors they had a tough year playing a varsity schedule and only won 1 game. Since that season they have been to the playoffs 4 years in a row. Once getting to the quarters, once getting to the 2nd round, and twice losing in the first round. They've been playing varisty for only 5 years and most people would consider them in the top 20 in the state in 3A. He built an amazing program and it's sad to see him go. But Sycamore will continue to win and be a top program in the state.

The answer to this question is simple. Coach Jones at Chattanooga Central, he took over a team that had been on every teams homecoming list for many years. Prior to his arrivial Central had won less than 15 games since 1997. The last time they made the play-offs was in 1996 and 1997, and that was in 3a. If I'm not mistaken one of those years they went in with a losing record due to the fact that they only had 5 teams in the region.

What I'm saying is that these guy were so bad that the current Head Coach at Knox Catholic was given the job In the Spring of 2001, so he would have time to conduct spring practice. He stayed for two days and saw how bad these guys were and left. Then Coach Jones was Hired During the Dead period of 2001 and had less than 2 weeks to prepare for summer Practice.

During His first year at Central tehy went 0-10 with 6 sometimes 7 freshman starting on the varsity team. During his secon season they went 5-5 and tied fo second in the region and lost to Knox Central in the 1st round of the play-offs.

This past season they finished the year 8-4. During the regular season they lost 2 region games by 5 points, after they lost their leader and defensve star. The only game they got blown out in was Tyner, Man look at the talen those guys had. In the 1st round they Killed Knox Powell 31-7, which could have been much worse. In the 2nd round they got beat by Maryville after they almost shocked the the regning champs.

So, to answer your question is easy. Coach Jones of Chattanooga Central is by far the best choice to jump start any program, or for that matter take a solid team and make them contenders.