Fulton Not Satisfied With Second Place Anymore

PiGeOnS4LiFe

Fulton High School’s football program has a sort of reputation of being runner-up, or not quite good enough. In 2001, Fulton suffered from a heart-breaking playoff loss to the Anderson County Mavericks. The Falcons had the game won by about 26 points with 4 minutes left to go. An early celebration by the Falcon team led to a major comeback by the Mavs, and a stunning loss to end the 2001 Football season. All-star Running back Jeffery Mitchell was nominated for 3a Mr. Football Back that year. At the ceremony, he too, like his football team, fell short to Justin Price of Anderson County. In 2002, the Fulton Falcons felt they had something to prove. The Anderson County game was one the Falcons had not forgotten. They played every game in the 2002 season with heart, never letting up until the final second. The Falcons went undefeated in the regular season. They went on to win the 4 necessary playoff games, 3 being shutouts, to advance to the Class 3a State Championship game. This was Fulton’s first appearance at the Bowl since 1974 win the Falcons finished runner-up to Father Ryan. The entire Fulton community got behind this team. The players, coaches, cheerleaders, students, parents, alumni, and fans were ready for this game. The team and coaches had worked hard all season to get to this point. The Falcons were in awe of their successes in making it to the Championship. They came out that day not acting the same. They didn’t have the energy in pregame warm-ups that they’d had all season. The Falcons played the worst game of their season that day. The offense wasn’t clicking. The defense couldn’t contain the Roadrunners’ offense. The Falcons lost their first and final game of the season, giving up the State Title to Memphis Ridgeway. In 2002, the Falcons again produced a Mr. Football finalist. Demarcus Stevens had impressed everyone the entire year. He was a stand-out player and young leader for Fulton. He, like 2001’s Mitchell, came up short at the American General Mr. Football ceremonies to D’Juan Love of Crockett County High School. This year, the 2003 Falcon football team again felt they had something to prove. Everyone underestimated this year’s team due to the loss of 15 seniors from the 2002 team. The Falcons came out and proved everybody wrong. They’ve won 13 of their 14 ballgames this year, with one left to be played. The BIG one!!! Monday, December 1st, 2nd time Mr. Football Finalist Demarcus Stevens attended the Mr. Football ceremonies. Although very deserving of the award, Stevens came up short to Winner Ramon Foster of Ripley High School. On Saturday, December 6, 2003, Stevens and the entire Fulton football team will again have the chance to rid themselves of the Runner-up Reputation they have acquired. The Falcons are facing a talented Covington team. Will they take care of business, or add to their long standing second-place seat?

I personally say Fulton by 8! GO FALCONS!!! TCB!

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good post jiveTurkey. I think they're pretty respectful myself. Some fans may talk a big outrageous game....much like myself sometimes ;) .....but the coaches and players DEFINITELY have a level head and know that covington is a tough team. Probably the toughest opponent Fulton has seen all year next to AE.

GO FALCONS!!! takin a little business trip to the Boro!!! Beat the Chargers!!!

Pigeon, Great Post!!!!

Alot of substance and a great message. Almost inspired me to throw the old number 21 jersey back on and run through my living room wall!!!

You could have also went into our runner-ups in B-Ball, but let's not get too carried away with the "brides-maid" angle.

GO FALCONS...KEEP YOUR EYES ON THE PRIZE!!!!!!!!!

Pigeon, I just now got to read your post - something has been messing up to where I couldn't get on coacht & I have been stressing. Excellent excellent post! Makes me want to put on a jersey myself, but unfortunately I've never played organized football (unless you want to call flag football at Carson Newman organized - ha ha). You had me so pumped! Are you comig to the big send-off tomorrow?! We'll be sending the team off Friday around 2:00 (I think, somebody correct me if I'm wrong)! I'm hungry enough for this win for everybody, I think!Let's Go Falcons! If nobody else believes in you - I sure do! Besides, I love it when you prove everybody wrong OVER & OVER & OVER again!

msmoker - it took me 10 minutes to type this post, I was cracking up at you! Nice post!

GO FALCONS!

Edited by kwalker4

kwalker,

Count me in, I will be there..I actually took a vacation day from work in anticipation of the sendoff...thanks for the info.

I actually missed last years game b/c I had a Post-bac class on Saturday and we had our final...I watched on TV, but it wasnt the same. I am making arrangements to go to the 'Boro and will see you guys there with my Big Maroon on and my Falcon spirit flowing!!! It is going to be a special day!!!

There is a guy at my work (Ed A.) that played line for the '74 team with Brewer, he is pumped and cant stop talking about the team and program...but he insist on not going. He is very superstitious, and said that he has been to the big game twice (once as a player and last year as a fan) and both times we lost...so he is staying at home and cheering us on!!!

Oh...look at my post on the "best RBs in TN All-time" Thread...you will get a kick out of it!

Edited by msmoker21