TSSAA VOTE

plas

WHO DETERMINES THE MEN THAT ARE IN THE STATE OFFICES. IF THEY CANNOT DO WHAT THE MAJORITY OF THE SCHOOLS WANT THEN MAYBE IT IS TIME TO GET A NEW DIRECTOR AND ASSISTANT DIRECTORS. I KNOW HOW THE COUNCIL AND BOARD OF DIRECTORS ARE ELECTED. HOW DOES CARTER AND HIS BOYS GET ELECTED???????????

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember on a thread about the player from Gallitin ,how many of you were stating that the TSSAA represented all the schools and how they just followed what the schools wanted. That Ronnie Carter didn't make the rules we as schools made them and they were just puppets. Seems the puppets has taken steps on their own. But make no mistake about it pressure from private school alumni, money and politics made this call. So the next time someone says don't blame the TSSAA, remember what your vote was worth to them!!!!!!!!

I was puzzled as to why the TSSAA did not go with their members wishes on the split?

But----

After reviewing the situation the TSSAA knows that if they do a complete split the privates will form their own organization. The TSSAA is not in sound enougn financial shape to lose this revenue and survive. So the board voted to make a decision based on finances not emotion.

The board has the final authority based on the bylaws. If memebers do not agree they can vote in members who share their beliefs and make changes ( no lawsuits needed see Gallatin thread)

While I don't agree with the decision(privates and publics are different and privates have a huge advantage in the area they can get players from this does not make them wrong but it is a fact) I can certainly see why they made it.

The privates if they want to stay in need to look at being more receptive to the multiplier or you will continue to see privates thump the public schools they play in the playoffs and create more proof of the differnce in talent level and eventually cause a complete split.

There's a way around that multiplier. Private schools can always puta cap on the number of students to accept so they can keep the numbers down. This will still allow them to play in districts or regions that will offer them the most success.

It seems like it's always about the money where the TSSAA is concerned; forget about what the member schools want.

Sorry to say sometimes it has to be about the money.

The TSSAA does a lot of good and it doesn't work in a vacum from society it has to have money to survive.

I have heard from others that the organization is hurting for money right now.

The thing worse than the TSSAA is not having it in place. I don't agree with them but they are needed for high school sports.

There's a way around that multiplier. Private schools can always puta cap on the number of students to accept so they can keep the numbers down. This will still allow them to play in districts or regions that will offer them the most success.

It seems like it's always about the money where the TSSAA is concerned; forget about what the member schools want.

If you truly believe that private schools would cap enrollment for that reason, you are seriously misinformed.

I was puzzled as to why the TSSAA did not go with their members wishes on the split?

But----

After reviewing the situation the TSSAA knows that if they do a complete split the privates will form their own organization. The TSSAA is not in sound enougn financial shape to lose this revenue and survive. So the board voted to make a decision based on finances not emotion.

The board has the final authority based on the bylaws. If memebers do not agree they can vote in members who share their beliefs and make changes ( no lawsuits needed see Gallatin thread)

While I don't agree with the decision(privates and publics are different and privates have a huge advantage in the area they can get players from this does not make them wrong but it is a fact) I can certainly see why they made it.

The privates if they want to stay in need to look at being more receptive to the multiplier or you will continue to see privates thump the public schools they play in the playoffs and create more proof of the differnce in talent level and eventually cause a complete split.

"But----

After reviewing the situation the TSSAA knows that if they do a complete split the privates will form their own organization. The TSSAA is not in sound enougn financial shape to lose this revenue and survive. So the board voted to make a decision based on finances not emotion"

So you are saying that the privates would take their ball and go home...right?

Believe it or not...I think the tssaa would survive easily without the privates. I think everyone knows the privates don't bring crowds...publics do.

We were in region with Goodpasture and Lipscomb a few years ago. Since we moved to 3a...our gates have at least doubled. That was a big factor is us moving up to non-private 3a.

Sorry to say sometimes it has to be about the money.

The TSSAA does a lot of good and it doesn't work in a vacum from society it has to have money to survive.

I have heard from others that the organization is hurting for money right now.

The thing worse than the TSSAA is not having it in place. I don't agree with them but they are needed for high school sports.

That is the problem on this board… to many people hearing from others and not enough fact.

Fact is on the 2002 990 filed by TSSAA

They started the year with assets of $1,256,293 and ended the year at $1,527,410

That is a $271,117 gain… up 21.5%… Not too bad for a no-profit organization

Also they reported $752,730 in Savings and temporary cash investments with $307,729 cash--non-interest bearing.

This paperwork does not indicate a group in crisis.

Now… if someone is suing you and you know that you are about to have to pay a big settlement… that could be a horse of a different color.

2 problems with your research

1. 2002 numbers

2. Assets are not cash flow and can include a variety of things. Someone can be broke with lots of "assets" (see Michael Jackson)

I am not an accountant but the others I have referenced are how should I say it

"should be in a position to know" say they are in trouble is there a debt out there for lawyers fees or something? I don't know I did not see any debts on your information surely there are debts out there.

I am for a public private split but my post recognized why it may not be possible at this time financially.

It will someday boil down to who needs who the least.

The privates especially the small ones need the TSSAA because they do not have enough teams in some areas.

The TSSAA needs the privates for the extra money and believe me the playoffs make money for the TSSAA the more teams the more money.

Public and private schools are as different as apples and oranges and should be classified as such.

It hurts to see some of the small public schools finally get a good group of homegrown players from their community come through only to be blown out by a private that gets players from as far away as they please.

I would like to see some of the coaches at the privates have to go to a public school and play with who shows up every year and then see what their success rate would be. There are some great coaches in the private schools but even they know the team with the most talent wins most of the time.

Edited by 82cat

2 problems with your research

1. 2002 numbers

2. Assets are not cash flow and can include a variety of things. Someone can be broke with lots of "assets" (see Michael Jackson)

I am for a public private split but my post recognized why it may not be possible at this time financially.

It will someday boil down to who needs who the least. The way it is now has already hurt privates because they don't have enough teams.

Public and private schools are as different as apples and oranges and should be classified as such.

It hurts to see some of the small public schools finally get a good group of homegrown players from their community come through only to be blown out by a private that gets players from as far away as they please.

I would like to see some of the coaches at the privates have to go to a public school and play with who shows up every year and then see what their success rate would be. There are some great coaches in the private schools but even they know the team with the most talent wins most of the time.

???????

2003 is not available yet so all you have to go on is how much CASH they started the year with. (Their tax year ends in June. So, it is in the books just not on the web site yet)

And I did say, "$752,730 in Savings and temporary cash investments with $307,729 cash--non-interest bearing."

I think that is just over 1 million in cash.

They show $215,226 in value of autos, furniture & fixtures, land and buildings.

I see nothing flawed in my research. The biggest asset is cash.

So they are doing okay unless you are implying that the have lost a million dollars since the end of June 2002.

I sat in at the TSSAA meeting on Wednesday at Hermitage as an interested observer. I have no financial ties to any high school, however I will say that I have a dear friend that is a coach at a 1A small school and graduated from Oak Ridge. So I know the larger school aspect as well as the smaller school aspect.

That having been said, I am disappointed in the TSSAA legislative council's actions. This should be an organization that should look out for all of its member institutions equally. However it appears as if the vote this past week had nothing to do with it.

I don't think anyone can argue that there are inequities here, especially for the small, rural 1A public schools. Ronnie Carter took great pains during the discussion leading up to the vote that a plurality of schools voted to split public and privates and not a majority. It seemed to me in listening to several members of the legislative council that the minority voters owed it to the schools to bring this issue up and look at it, and I feel like they did what they could for the "plurality" of schools that felt a change was warranted.

Two things surprised me, and disappointed me. The first, was the talk about had the proposal passed, that the TSSAA that we all know would have to change. From the comments that were lobbied about by some that dissented, it appears as if there is a real fear of change at the TSSAA legislative council and possibly the staff. The second thing that disappointed me was the fact that of the private and public schools that were in attendance at the vote, the legislative council gave none of them the opportunity to speak. That also speaks volumes to me about the leaders of an organization and their willingness to listen to those they are supposed to represent.

I challenge the TSSAA and the legislative council to come up with a system that is more equitable for everyone. It appears as if you have forgotten many of the small schools and a "plurality" of schools that fund your association. It is a crying shame that this spring and summer, kids all over the state of Tennessee will work hard through spring practices, two-a-days, fall practice and games only to have their hope of at least a fighting chance taken from them by folks in a conference room in Nashville scared of change.

Public schools and private schools should have the same opportunities, however many small public schools will never have the resources to compete with the same size private schools. It is up to the TSSAA to balance the playing field for everyone, and many do not like the tilt of the field as it sits today.