Best and worst in Knoxville area?

orcat

I know the season is young, but what are your thoughts on who are the best and worst teams in the Knoxville area?

We have a good team with some great players. I also like Clinton, they have a couple of awesome players in Tiffany Rodd and Alisha Brown, and I think Powell could be play tough at times, and Webb seems to be up and down.

As for the bad teams, I don't know. Union County is probably the weakest, but I've heard William Blount and Wartburg are also way down. What do you all think?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ORCAT,

For what its worth, here is my opinion on the best and worst in the East Tn area:

Best, Sevier Co, Powell, Heritage, Oak Ridge, Wm Blount, Farragut, Greeneville, Bradley Central, this is in no particular order. Each and everyone of these teams could advance beyond the regional tourney and they is really what it is all about.

Instead of saying worst, lets just say teams that are looking to be better than last year. On second thought, I would prefer not to list anyone in this category.

Also, all of the teams that I have listed are AAA. I did not mean to slight anyone, but I just don't watch much girls bball in the A and AA division. I do know that Oliver Springs will be strong again in AA along with Seymour.

I can't agree with Farragut or William Blount.

I think Clinton will be good, and I think the Anderson County is going to be strong by tourney time. Young players getting needed experience. Both of these teams will be good by years end.

I love Powell, and think Oak Ridge may falter.

Arnwine,

you may be correct about Farragut and Wm. Blount. But in the games that I have seen, Farragut plays really hard even though that are not loaded with alot of talent. I think they may surprise some people. Wm. Blount is kind of in the same category, being young and unproven. But they may give some teams a few surprises. As for Clinton, have seen them 3 times and they are terrible. Have not won a game. Have two good players that could use some coaching. You are probably right about Oak Ridge, they have no depth are about as slow as they have been in the past 15 years. I was listing the teams that I thought would be better than the middle of pack and below. It seems to me that Oak Ridge has already faltered as they lost to Heritage in the opener. I would say that the top 2 teams from region 2 AAA would be Powell and Sevier County. If they get in opposite brackets in the Region tournament that will be the regional final and both will make the substate round.

Oak Ridge did falter against Heritage. Oak Ridge did beat the #23 ranked team in the country Victory Christian (NC) 50 - 45 last Saturday.

In my opinion, we'll know a lot more about OR after the tournaments in Phoenix and Greeneville. I'm very excited about the OR vs Canyon (TX) game on the 18th and hope Prepradio.com will have the internet broadcast. Two of the best programs in the country going head to head B)

Does anybody have the link to this year's Greeneville tournament website? They usually have an excellent web site.

Oh, was the Heritage/OR game a Hall of Fame contest? I read on the Knoxville N-S web page that OR is 4 - 0. If Heritage was a Hall of Fame game then OR doesn't have to count it toward their record.

Top teams in the K-town area: Oliver Springs, Sevier County, Powell, Bradley Central (although, I think of BCHS as being more in the Chatt. area) and Oak Ridge.

True, Oak Ridge did beat Victory Christian. If they are the 23rd best team in the county then that doesn't say much for the poll. First of all their competition is very weak, through no fault of their of own and they don't shoot the ball very well. Coach does an ok job. but with those two big girls he could have an awesome post game, instead he chooses to let them do there own thing. I predict that will go 1-3 in Phoenix as they are in the big dog division. Back to the poll thing, they don't really have any credability on a national basis. It's hard to compare teams in high school from all over the country. But I'm sure the fans love it as it gives all the so called experts something to talk about.

It doesn't really matter if Heritage was a Hall of Fame game or not. A loss is a loss and I'm sure Coach Prudden considers it a loss. Just like when you play at a tournament like Greeneville, you only have to count 3 games towards your total of games played even if you play 4 or more. I'm sure if they had beaten Heritage then everyone would have wanted to count it as a win in their total record. Can't have it both ways.

Just some fuel for the fire for all the experts.

If what has been posted on CoachT is correct, a school can have it both ways in regards to counting Hall of Fame games. Heritage defeated Oak Ridge but OR has the option of not counting the stats and results of the contest. I would think most teams that lose a HOF game select this option, although I have no idea what Oak Ridge is doing.

Oak Ridge to go 1 - 3 in the Tournament of Champions? I hope they do better but I have no idea. The Lady Wildcats have been placed in the Blue Division and not the top level National Division. Shelbyville will hopefully win the elite National Division.

Other teams in the Blue Division with Oak Ridge and their National Preseason Ranking according to Student Sports (SS) and USA Today. Yes, national rankings can mean nothing or something depending on how an individual feels about them. For me they are fun this time of year but mean nothing once the District Tournaments start.

Archbishop Carroll, PA SS # 6 nationally USA Today # 7 in East Region

Callaway, MS SS # 37 nationally USA Today # 20 nationally

Canyon, TX unranked unranked

Centennial, NV SS # 10 nationally USA Today # 10 in West Region

Desert Vista, AZ unranked unranked

John Ehret, LA unranked unranked

Oak Ridge, TN SS # 28 nationally USA Today # 18 nationally

San Clemente, CA SS # 49 nationally USA Today # 14 nationally

December 18, Oak Ridge (TN) vs Canyon (TX), 7 PM

...OR still has three tough games before then but I am getting excited about the TOP and Greeneville.

Tournament of Champions web site for those interested:

http://www.nationalbasketball.com/pages/event-TOC.html

Still need this year's Greeneville tournament web site. It is hard to follow OR living in Hixson so web sites and the opinions of fans are very helpful and welcomed.

Prepradio.com is heading to Phoenix so Willie you can follow the girls when they are out there. Coach Prudden says, if you sell tickets and play the games, then they should count. So the Hall of Fame game with Heritage is a loss for Oak Ridge. We will also be in Greeneville for that classic. The first round competition, although not a bad is a team on Oak Ridge's regular season schedule. They open with TN High, a team they beat last week. The girls are coming along and a worlds better than they were that first week.

I know the season is young, but what are your thoughts on who are the best and worst teams in the Knoxville area?

We have a good team with some great players.  I also like Clinton, they have a couple of awesome players in Tiffany Rodd and Alisha Brown, and I think Powell could be play tough at times, and Webb seems to be up and down.

As for the bad teams, I don't know.  Union County is probably the weakest, but I've heard William Blount and Wartburg are also way down.  What do you all think?

William Blount's girls have "been" down for the past few years. This year, ,starting a freshman & 2 sophs & with the majority of the team being underclassmen, they've lost to Powell by 3, South Greene by 2, and Bradley Central by 4. Not bad for "way down", huh?

The Lady Governors will be a very competitive team in a tough district. Any team, including Sevier County and Heritage, will have to be real careful when they play Blount, or they'll end up suprised.

They may not be ready for the upper echelon yet , here in East Tennessee, but they are closer to the top then they are "way down." Where do you get your info?

Edited by GovMan