How did McCallie do

Chattcity

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know not what you speak. I have seen Coach Connell forfeit matches against Baylor and others where he has an unexperienced wrestler and the other team has a state champion caliber wrestler. While I dislike a forfeit as much as the next guy (don't we all wish we had a competitive guy in every weight), explain the wisdom of throwing a lamb to a wolf. There are several accomplished senior wrestlers in our state right now that everyone of you can name whom you know beyond a shadow of a doubt will pin anyone they wrestle who is not of at least average ability/experience. If my son was a 175 lb 9th grade novice wrestler, I wouldn't want the coach to send him out against Paul Campbell or Mike Marable. The odds of injury would far outweigh any benefit derived by "seeing how tough they are". If you have a personal dislike for Connell that's your business, but if you don't have anyone able to compete against Geismer, Thompson, and others a couple of years back, then you don't have anyone. Some would consider it a respect for their accomplishments/abilities. I take no pleasure in watching my son pin unexperienced kids in less then 20 seconds and would not be insulted in any way if the opposing coach said he's too good for anybody they've got. IMHO, getting your butt handed to you is not "an opportunity to improve".

Didn't Kyle James get pinned by a less accomplished wrestler at the state duals last year? I'm sure their coach could have used the same logic of forfeiting to James but you just never know just what might happen. Besides there's another topic on this message board regarding the popularity of wrestling. It isn't good for our sport to have fans pay to watch a dual meet and get a bunch of forfeits when there is actually someone there that could wrestle. I agree too that even a bad experience on the mat is something that can be learned from.

Maybe I look at this a different way because, being a Georgia guy, but I was impressed. McCallie basically said, Hey, we'll spot you two pins and still beat you. Which they darn near did.

Starrs Mill is a top 5, AAAAA school with over 2,000 students and we have more than 3600 at Collins Hill and rated #2 in the state. McCallie had no trouble hanging with both.

In a similar circumstance, last year, Coach Ramos chose not to enter a 189 or 215 in last year's McCallie tournament for fear of having them mentally and physically destroyed. He had those two wrestlers go to a JV tounament that weekend.

Some of you guys may ask what does this guy know about a Connell and all I can say is that I've know him since I was 10 and my brothers wrestled for him at Hixson.

I think the coaches are looking out for the best interest of their wrestlers and looking down the road.

Edited by RMC

Didn't Kyle James get pinned by a less accomplished wrestler at the state duals last year?

No, he got pinned with a lateral drop by a region place finisher who he next faced in the TSSAA state tourney. I've seen the young man from Sciencehill, and by no means is he a "young novice" wrestler. If your complaint is "he is a shame by not preparing someone to compete" then are you going to lump Brad Jackson in there with him? I just heard East Ridge is forfeiting 145 and 152 tonight. Trust me, he didn't have anybody with a snowball's chance in .... or he would have wrestled them. I would hate to be your son if you think that getting ruffed up, embarassed, and possibly injured is your idea of a good learning experience. If they can be competitive then by all means they shouldn't forfeit. If you don't understand the difference in the caliber of wrestlers to which I'm referring, then I'm wasting my time trying to explain.

RMC,

I sit here in disbelief after reading your post. While I agree with it, does this not strike you as an incredible double standard? In the finals of the Cleveland Duals last year, we forfeited to your wrestler, Lukacs (sp?). Our varsity wrestler, Jesse Baker had been injured over a week earlier and had sat out the Huntsville Invitational and the previous 5 dual meets. During a post match interview, I was verbally assaulted by daddy Lukacs for not "having the guts to at least throw a JV in there". He didn't "travel all this way to get a forfeit!" Keep in mind that his son is the same wrestler who later defeated John Lane at the McCallie Tourn. Further, in a post by you several days back in regard to the Cleveland Duals, you remarked "if Bradley decides to let someone wrestle Lukacs this year........". Go back and check it yourself. What exactly was that insinuation? At the conclusion of the "discussion", Coach Ramos' only remark to me for his parents' actions was that I should "learn to just ignore people" who get in my face and berate me. What a disappointment.

I have a lot of respect for Collins Hill, Cliff Ramos and your program. That is not even an issue. I just couldn't help but ask...Why the double standard?

Legman,

I apologize for the comments regarding Bradley letting someone wrestle Lukacs. I was trying to add some “hype” to the match. My mistake.

I can’t speak for Dan Lukacs and Coach Ramos. I’ve known them both for a long time and I think it was out of character for Dan. I hope that he realizes approaching an opposing teams coach after a heated match is a pretty bad idea.

I don’t know what happened to Dan that day, but I sure wish he would have been out in the parking lot where I was.

Ross

RMC,

I appreciate your reply. I knew that I could not let that single incident change my opinion of Collins Hill. Your post only reinforces my high opinion of your team and its leadership. Let's call this matter forgotten and look forward to a weekend of good wrestling.

Thanks,

Legman

I agree, regardless of experience, every wrestler that gets on the mat has a chance of getting hurt, I also teach my children to never think the unthinkable might not happen, as a parent I don't like to see my children lose at any sport but I would never teach him to back down, and I would not let him wrestle for any school or coach that doesn't believe in my child, also I can say that because in the past my son wrestled and his first year didn't win 3 of his matches, but never did our coach forfeit a match and truthfully we all knew my son would probably not win but we never stopped believeing, I don't agree with the coach from McCallie doing that, I am not alone in feeling this way, he does it and you should be ashame for letting it happen...

I agree with RMC. The people who make comments on this board targeting certain people more than likely know nothing about the person of whom they bash. I have faith in the old Connell coach, I think he knows what he's doing... (and yes I do actually know him) So let's keep this board to a wrestling discussion instead of coach's bashing session...

Legman,

Lane didn't lose to Lukacs at McCallie. Lane won McCallie and Lukacs placed 4th losing to Jeffers and Manley. Lukacs beat Lane at a tourn.in GA.(maybe Carpet Classic). Daddy Lukacs may have remembered sending his son out as a 9th grader against Raines and getting pinned in 30 sec. Good Luck this weekend

Edited by fwc00