Officiating

raider16

Is there anyone else out there like me that think this year officating has gone down hill? Of the several games I have attended in Middle Tennessee, I have seen some referees who quite simply don't look like they know what to do. I know it is a tough job and I give them sum credit, but you have to let them play and thats the bottomline. So far this year is also seems that the refereeing crews are younger. There should always be a veteran offical for every game at the game. Anyone else think like this or just has an opnion on my statement?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Raider16...I couldn't agree more. I have watched several games this year and the officiating, well...left a lot to be desired. At one game, the opposing team was allowed to run one set in their offense with 6 players...LOL. Roy Williams (UNC) was going crazy in the stands. It seems like every game, there are a ton of fouls called or the officials allow the game to get out of hand. I watched the GC vs. Spring Hill game and I don't think any of the officials were older that 35...I think it is great that TSSAA is getting younger refs, but you have to put a veteran who is used to handling those rough games in the mix with them. That is the only way for them to learn. They sure aren't helping the kids any with this type of calling.

I also think the officiating is terrible this year. I am a coach now, but have spent a few years as a ref. My complaint is not that the officials are calling too many fouls or not enough, but the consistency of the calling. In the game I coached last night, the refs were calling a good game until three minutes left in the game and then all of a suddent decided not to call anything. I am a firm believer that a ref should never take the game out of the players hands especially late in a game. But I do believe if you have been calling hand checking and reaching for three and a half quarters and as a coach I instruct my players to attack because the refs are calling it tight, and then you stop, it puts my players in a bad situation. As a coach you are always making adjustments, and you have to take into consideration how tight a game is being called. If they are letting the kids player, you tell you team to be more aggressive on d, if is is a tightly called game, you tell them to be aggressive and maybe dont call as many traps or presses. When you have a team like the one I coach that is not fast, has no size, and has average players, we have to coach this way to give the kids the best chance to win. Although this may not affect teams like Shlebyville(girls) or a team like Giles County who can win no matter what, the rest of us have to pay attention to the calling. No matter how you look at it, refs do affect the game whether we like it or not. As a coach all we can ask for is consistency through the game.

Hey raider16 and Kroger, If you two think that the officiating has got so bad instead of getting on here and running your mouth about the officials why don't you go take the test, pay the dues, and then work your way up line from third and fourth grade to the sixth grade to Junior High, to Junior Varsity, then finally to highschool the way most of these officials have done and get a taste of the action from the officials standpoint.

................... I don't know what I'm thinkin about though, people like you two would never do that when you can come on a website like this and rip on people you don't know about a game that you do not understand.

The officials were horrible at the McMinn Cleveland game last week in Athens. You would think the tribe could get some home cookin, but it was definetly the other way around. If the actual calls weren't bad enough I saw one of the refs at Applebees in Athens after the game eating at a table with two guys wearing Cleveland sweatshirts. You would think that their would be some better refs for one of the biggest games of the season.

Lukemasonfan...is it just me or does it seem that the rest of the post on here have agreed that the officiating has been up and down...compared to previous years. As for me understanding the game...you don't even know me you idiot. How do you know what I understand. You know...you are bashing me and the first guy for bashing officials...what are you doing...MORON.

Oh...you have 3 posts on this site...why don't you show us how much you understand the game by posting more often instead of getting on here and showing your ignorance.

Edited by krogers

Tribeguy22,

The officials used in the McMinn/Cleveland game were from the Athens Association. Cleveland chooses to use refs from the Chattanooga Association due to low quality of the Athens Association, have been doing this for years. I wasn't at the game but I did hear that the refs weren't any good, they blew calls for both teams. Homecooking should not be part of any game. As far as Applebee's who knows? At least the ref wasn't seen hanging out with players before the game (it happens at Bradley).

Until they go back to only 2 officials, the officiateing will be picky and unpredictable. Since there has been 3 officials there has seemed to be more of a competition for the refs to get their calls in. Lets do it like KY and GA, and let the boys play. Refs should not be as big of a factor as they are becoming.

Seems that has been more variation in the ability of the squads I have seen in West TN AA games so far this season. A couple very good three-somes that have made some excellent calls/non-calls thruout the games already this year. Then one game where these three guys HAD to have needed help getting to the house, they were terrible!

;)

It's one thing to miss a call, but I was amazed at their calls that were the opposite of what just happened! I will look forward (?) to seeing if this repeats the next game they call.

Is it possible to get a list of refs and where they are from? I have heard that a lot of refs live in the Lexington area & I was wondering if that could be confirmed. Just curious...

Was at Gleason's game last night and only two officials were used. What is the difference?