1a

pujo

Why not treat everyone equally and have all successful programs...private and public...move up? We could even let the non-successful programs move down.

Baldcoach,

First, congratulations on your championship; and Merry Christmas! :)

Are you personally for the Multiplier, or do you think things should stay the way they are? I'm exhausted with the whole debate. But, darnit....my ole fingers keep pressing these little buttons. :)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they should just split everybody up...when was the last time a public school won a state championship in baseball???...hmm

Swanson...Is it written somewhere that a public school is entitled to a state championship?

For some reason, I think baseball more than any other sport falls into the urban/rural argument. There are just so many more opportunities in bigger cities. Jackson is absolutely loaded with talent. There is easier access to baseball schools. Better competitive youth leagues.

Baldcoach,

First, congratulations on your championship; and Merry Christmas! :P

Are you personally for the Multiplier, or do you think things should stay the way they are? I'm exhausted with the whole debate. But, darnit....my ole fingers keep pressing these little buttons. :rolleyes:

Thanks Krichunka! Really all I did was make sure not to overcoach the linebackers...the kids did all the hard work. And Merry Christmas to you too! :)

Personally I don't buy into the idea that ANY school with advantages should be forced up...public or private. I always thought that people (or groups, or institutions) that excell were to be held up and emmulated in America.

But... in the real world I realize that I am not RULER OF ALL FOOTBALL. :(

What I am really for is no change but I see the fairness of a system that recognizes success or failure equally for all. A merit system fits this bill and I continue to argue that such a system is the way Tennessee should go if competition is really the issue.

Since it seems that most of the public schools do not want a merit system my next fallback would be a multiplier. While I completely disagree with the arguments made to justify one I can at least see that they are not without some merit and are somewhat reasonable. So I could live with a multiplier although it would be my least favorite option.

Hope that clarifies how I feel. Can't speak for the other small private fans/coaches.

Nice post Baldie! ;)

I don`t think anyone would be opposed to a more fair system. A merit system would be the most fair. How can anyone possibly complain about a system that is based on merit? A multiplier isn`t bad, but lets define what we need to base the multiplier on first. Simply being a private school is not enough. Shut up and leave it alone is good too!

Nice post Baldie! ;)

I don`t think anyone would be opposed to a more fair system. A merit system would be the most fair. How can anyone possibly complain about a system that is based on merit? A multiplier isn`t bad, but lets define what we need to base the multiplier on first. Simply being a private school is not enough. Shut up and leave it alone is good too!

In theory a merit system would be best -- but this is high school and things change rapidly. Look at football for example.

Coffee County gets beat up by everybody and they get a new coach who has been successful everywhere he goes and the first year he is in the play-offs.

Portland is a power for two years and in championship games. If we had a merit system they would be in 4A now -- think they could compete?

The point is that many schools have a run of good athletes and coaches but their run only lasts 2-3 years, then they are back to being medicore. But if you had a merit system they would be be put into a higher classification just at the time their athletes ran out.

And we haven't even gotten into scheduling and schools being in different classifications for each sport.

Merit system for high schools would be a disaster and highly subjective.

And we haven't even gotten into scheduling and schools being in different classifications for each sport.

Merit system for high schools would be a disaster and highly subjective.

On the first of those two points, that is only true if you accept the idea that your regular-season league must also be the teams you'll face early in the playoffs. Plan 47 (a merit system designed by yours truly) decouples that--you set up conferences, play those traditional rivals as your regular-season league, then at playoff time you meet the teams in your designated area and tier (the tiers being the levels of merit).

As for whether it would be subjective: only if designed to be, as it is in Rhode Island. The rules in Plan 47 for who moves up and down are completely objective.

OK, so will there be a multiplier enacted (anyone and everyone feel free to respond); and if so, what will be the long-term results? I think that several of the Single A private will be just fine; but at the same time, those not-so-good ones will be in the same boat as several of the rural publics are in now.... and believe it or not, I don't wish that on any of them.

I can see Boyd, Ezell, CPA, DCA and a few others competing with the better AA schools; but am I way off base here?

And again, I think the publics would be fine with regular-season match-ups with the privates; like so many of them - Unaka being a prime example - now do in the other sports.

For some reason, I think baseball more than any other sport falls into the urban/rural argument. There are just so many more opportunities in bigger cities. Jackson is absolutely loaded with talent. There is easier access to baseball schools. Better competitive youth leagues.

And all the privates except for Friendship are in urban areas. I know you don't really care about the small rural public schools,VG(and your buddy EGO) but a lot of us do. How about a split of urban/rural? Something needs to be done to address the inequities. No matter what the T$$AA does, someone will be PO'd. Let's just punt them! Everybody play who they want to play in any kind of conference they can get together, bring back the bowls. Somebody has to do something! The T$$AA won't.

Not to mention Columbia Academy, Zion Christian, St. Andrews-Sewanee, King's Academy--none of those are in areas even as urban as Friendship's.

OOPs, I forgot St Andrew's and King's Academy. But don't they both play Division II? But CA and Zion are both in Maury County. I don't know where you are from or if you've ever been to this area(they are both in our basketball region), but Columbia is not exactly rural. Saturn plant, easy access to the Nashville metropolitan area by either I-65 or US 31 through Williamson Co, it's immediate northern neighbor. I consider CA and Zion to be in an urban area.

I know you don't really care about the small rural public schools,VG(and your buddy EGO)

Don't make assumptions...I don't believe that small rural public schools should directly change the face of high school athletics in this state.

For one very good reason...They are small!

A split would change all of the public schools and D2 schools because of reclassification.

Do you change the majority because of an outcry by a minority? Sometimes yes, but normally No.