A question

pujo

You people always say you have to take whoever applies. What type of kids apply at private schools? You don't take special ed,you don,t take kids who can't pass you,re test. Hardly any under achieving kids ever apply. If you get a bad egg,you can send them packing. Someone from Boyd on another post said they had 60 kids who worked out year around, 1a public schools can't come close to this, how are we and other schools like our supposed to compete.

Pujo, you once again have your "facts" wrong about most private schools. I think you are treating Christain schools the same as private prep schools. Believe me there are huge differences. At CAK the goal for our acceptance rate is 100%. We try to take every family that desires a Christain education. There is no entrance exam except for kindergarten. We have a Learning Center(expanded in the last three years) that assist students with learning disabilities. And at least one parent must be a Christian. In Knoxville, if you want an exclusive education you go to Webb. I work at CAK and my child goes to school there for the Biblical worldview. This cannot happen at the government-controlled((aka "public") school.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chattanooga Christian is similar.

One parent has to be a Christian.

No entrance exam except for Kindergarten.

There is a support program for students who have learning disabilites.

They lose some athletes from 8th to ninth because if they play on varsity they have to pay their own bill. They may have been on financial aid during ES or MS but they can't play varsity in HS if they recieve aid. It is strictly inforced so some kids leave.

No ,I'm not wrong, some of the better private schools have nothing to do with religion. Most of them if not all do some sort of testing or background checks. Most do not enroll special ed. I think most of you missed the point. I,m not talking money,the point I was making is that these kids all have dedidated parents who want the best for their kids. Public schools have above average ,average and below average kids. Private schools hardly ever gets any underachievers,and when they do ,they can send them on there way. We are two different types of schools.

You're right, Privates do not get special ed kids.

We also don't get athletic funding, or money to pay our teachers and coaches from the state of TN.

We have to raise it, stop your complaining, you get a free education I don't know why that doesn't sink in for you.

Get rid of the Maryville's and the Alcoa's the Memphis Mitchell's, the Westside's, Tredwells, Tyner's and all the other schools that have open enrollment.

The best football player in the state goes to a Magnet school...He doesn't go to a private school he goes to a school that is treated like a private except it is free!

The best basketball player in the state, Shawne Williams, goes to a school that has open zones. No one else complains about this but you!

The best basketball team over the last three years is White Station High School...they also don't have zones...no one is complaining about any of this, cus it isn't as big of an advantage as you make it out to be.

The reason that WSHS is so good is because Terry Tippett for WSHS is one of the best coaches in the entire state. They have some of the best facilities, and some of the best academics anywhere in the country! It has nothing to do with the fact that they have open zones...every school in Memphis has open zones! Just because a school has open zones doesn't make them good...especially when you add to the fact you have to pay several thousands of dollars each year!

Get rid of those zones, and then you can complain, until then, your argument (which was shot down a few weeks ago across the state) just doesn't hold water.

Edited by TheEgoHasLanded

I like how you respond to one of the several points I made that disagree with you.

My parents sent me to a private school, not because they wanted me to have an advantage, but because they didn't want me to get shot!

The city schools in Memphis are nice, but there are more problems there, then at the typical private school.

I went to a church of christ school...I'm not C of C. For college, I go to UTK. Which is a public institute and two semesters at UTK are still less expensive than at my high school.

Kids go to private schools for a variety of reasons...

1-religion

2-safety

3-education

4-athletics (that same point can be said for public schools)

5-location (same point can be used for public schools)

6-forced to go...if you are the son or daughter of a worker at a private school, many times the schools ask that your child go to their school.

There are many other reasons that you go to a private school...a free education, is a reason you go to a public school.

You wouldn't believe it...but there are several thousands of kids whose parents do not pay taxes because they can't afford it, yet still get to go to schools because of my tax dollars. That is, a free education for them. In fact, I read just yesterday how all Memphis City Schools must have internet connections in every school and I thought to myself how lucky these kids have it compared to some counties in the state of TN.

I'm not complaining about it, because I think it is the right thing to do, and I also believe that it will help the economy eventually.

Perhaps you would like to address my two previous posts, instead of picking out one line and trying to question it.

I'm all for a multiplier for open zoned schools...I have seen schools use that to their advantage for years...I'm not going to lie, WSHS and Ridgeway benefit from open zones...

Pierre Niles a sophomore who was invited to the Nike Camp was supposed to go to Briarcrest after going to Tredwell and Westside last year, he is now at Ridgeway. Do you honestly think he just walked in there without talking to Coach Henning at all? Would you do that if you were him? RHS is a very good team already with Jordan Mincy and Michael Rice, I'm sure he wondered about playing time or if there was a spot on the team for him.

Put a multiplier on them if you want (I honestly could care less what they do, I root for D2 schools) but if you do that, then you are going to put some of those AA schools back in with the A schools...pick your poison.

I really don't know where to start, but this is getting almost ludicrous.

Everything from bake sales and car washes, to asking the kin-folks. Little do they know, pujo, how many of those in our neighborhoods would love to meet their real parents, let along, go ask the wealthy uncle for a few hundred bucks for shoulder pads. And I'm not saying that having wealthy relatives is sinful. My dear Aunt Lena bought my high school class ring. But don't you guys really see the enormous advantages of the privates over the publics in athletics? Especially in Single A?

As to sixty-plus lifting year-round...and only 25 or so seriously. WOW! Again, pujo, wouldn't it be grand to have "ONLY 25" to work out year-round? And as to the reference that many on the Boyd Buchanan team were freshmen and sophomores who would hardly get on the playing field...again, you lucky folks; don't you realize what a blessing it is to have that many underclassmen on the State Championship team? Amazing.

I really don't know where to start, but this is getting almost ludicrous.

Everything from bake sales and car washes, to asking the kin-folks. Little do they know, pujo, how many of those in our neighborhoods would love to meet their real parents, let along, go ask the wealthy uncle for a few hundred bucks for shoulder pads. And I'm not saying that having wealthy relatives is sinful. My dear Aunt Lena bought my high school class ring. But don't you guys really see the enormous advantages of the privates over the publics in athletics? Especially in Single A?

As to sixty-plus lifting year-round...and only 25 or so seriously. WOW! Again, pujo, wouldn't it be grand to have "ONLY 25" to work out year-round? And as to the reference that many on the Boyd Buchanan team were freshmen and sophomores who would hardly get on the playing field...again, you lucky folks; don't you realize what a blessing it is to have that many underclassmen on the State Championship team? Amazing.

krichunka....I don`t think privates schools are that opposed to a multiplier. A split is so totally stupid. It makes no sense whatsoever. You can try and justify it but you can`t.

In fact even a multiplier would probably be more unfair to more private schools than it would help public schools in 1A.

Think about it. :D

Money has nothing to do with this. Don`t even think about bringing that into the equation. There are financial differences in every class.

Open zones...Many public schools have open zones just like private schools.

This is not or should not be a public private issue. Quit trying to make it one. Any reason that you say private schools have an advantage, I can come up with an equal advantage from public schools.