McMinn County v.s. McMinn Central

TribeGuy22

The cross-county rivalry will continue Friday night as the Chargers come to Athens. Although the tribe is coming in on a 3 game losing skid, they will not lose to Central. Central has not played anyone yet up to Cherokees calibur. The Cherokees have regrouped this week, and are fully focused on the Chargers. It should be a packed house Friday as the administration has asked students all week to behave themselves. They know how this rivalry is filled with hatred, and has been known to get out of hand at times. Look for Juice to put up some big numbers and the tribe to prevail.

Go Cherokees!

McMinn- 80

Central- 62

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, my prediction looks like it will come true. The Chargers fell to Walker Valley on Tuesday night and are on pace to lose both of their games this week. I hope they are ready for the Cherokees because they are in for a long night. The chargers are catching McMinn at the worst time possible, with the Kees coming in on a 3 game losing skid. Look for McMinn to let out all their frustration on their rivals Friday in Athens. This is gonna be a crucial game for both teams. The Cherokees can't afford another loss before Christmas, and the Chargers are not going to want to lose 2 games in a row. It should be a good one. I encourage Central to bring as many fans as possible, so we can have a great atmosphere.

Go Cherokees!

McMinn Central has underachieved for the first 9 games of the season. No one knows when their full potential will come to fruition even if that potential is extremely impressive. They have a lack of intensity that may harm them during this tough Christmas run. However, despite all of this there is no way that McMinn Central will lose to a VERY mediocre McMinn County team by 18 pts. Understand that neither team is playing great basketball, but McMinn Central hasn't lost a game by more than 15 pts since the state champion Ridgeway (with Derrick Byars) beat them 2 years ago. It won't end that quickly.

And if both teams are coming off of losses why is one team more apt to be seeking an end to that streak than another?

Good question. I feel like the only two times Central has played a quality opponent that challenged them they lost. You're right neither team is playing their best basketball right now, but I feel Central hasn't played a team that is as good as McMinn is capable of playing. McMinn has been in a lot of tight hard fought games this year. They have caught some unlucky breaks here as of late, but there is no better time for their luck to turnaround than on Friday night against an arch rival. I don't believe Central has the depth, the experience, or the talent to win in Athens on Friday. The tribe hasn't forgotten the 68-67 loss to the Chargers in Athens last year and they will be out for some payback. JaJuan has gotten into some foul trouble the past few games, which has really slowed him down. He knows that he is needing a big game and is is due for one. Look for Maurice Smith, who has been playing very well this year to have another good game against Central. It seems he always has a big night against the Chargers. There will be a lot of electricity in Athens and I will be willing to bet that you can feel the hostility on and off the court this Friday. There should be a good turnout.

Go Cherokees!

Why does McMinn have more depth than McMinn Central? Is there anyone on the team who's name isn't Smith that can score more than 10 pts.? The answer to that is still to be determined, but the depth issue shouldn't be asked of McMinn Central until it is answered at McMinn.

Next Question: What makes McMinn such a truly "capable" team? They have one very good basketball player and the rest of the team is made up students who aren't even the best athletes in the school.

Fourth Question: Why does McMinn have the experience nod over McMinn Central? JaJuan Smith has been a four-year starter but none of the other players have more than a year of starting experience. If anything, McMinn Central has a sophomore (Beau Brown) who played in high profile games like Austin-East, Brainerd, and in the Substate at Portland as a Freshman. Beyond this, they have 5 more players who have substate experience. Even JaJuan Smith has no substate experience.

Fifth Question: Why does McMinn have the talent nod over McMinn Central? What makes a team who is 6-4 and has lost both of its district games by an average of 13 pts. an amazingly deep and talent riddled team? I don't know.

Last question: How does the performance of Tuesday night tell someone that McMinn Central has no answer for JaJuan? Walker Valley certainly has no equivalent to him.

Edited by atn301

Wow, atn is a deep thinker here. Good questions. I have seen Central boys play and yes there is a lot of talent there. Beau Brown is more impressive as a sophomore than Jajuan was. But he still needs two more years of experience and by then juice will be in college where he will find a whole lot of people as good or better than he is. I think two years from now Beau will be mentioned here a lot. Right now I still have to go with McMinn. Maurice is playing very well also, Whittle, Webb, Price, Barham all have moments too if they were allowed to stay in there a little more time there would be better results I'm sure. This year I go with Cherokees by 10, but I will dread next year when blue and white come to town losing only Armstrong.

Well, I'll tell ya why I feel McMinn is deeper. I'm talking about guys who can come in the game from the bench and give valuable minutes. I'm not talking about scoring, but guys who can come in give the starters a breather and not make costly errors.

Your 2nd Question: I think you got carried away on this one. It's not fair to say McMinn has only 1 truly capable player. Maurice is better talent wise than anyone on Central's team (Except 4 Beau). There's Ryan Webb and Nathan Whittle, who may no be the best athletes or the most talented, but they can hit a three when needed and are reliable as far as handling the ball goes(both seniors) . There is Blake Cobb who has some size, but doesn't use it to his advantage (But still gives a physical presence). There is a very capable guard off the bench in Jamichael Parks (He proved his capabilities against Cleveland w/5 pts. and 3 steals in 2 min. off the bench in the 4th quarter). There is Adam Baldwin who adds some height and has a good jumper. There is Jared Price, who when under control can be good. Also I'm being told that Frosh Justin Hicks is going to see some playin time tonight. He is good just needs some experience.

Third Question: It's simple; McMinn has 6 seniors to Central's 1. All 6 have seen lots of minutes so far this year, and 4 of the 6 have seen valuable playing time before this year.

Next Question: Also simple, McMinn is in a tougher district and region. Everyone can agree on that. We've played Cleveland, Oak Ridge, Tyner, some tough Georgia teams, and a very talented Clinton team. You've played Sweetwater, Tellico, and took a loss to Walker Valley. Gimme a break.

Last Question: I'm not basing the fact that nobody on the Chargers can guard JaJuan on Tuesdays game. I'm basing it on what I've seen from Central this year and in the past. Don't kid yourself.