No advantages-LOL

Guest 4th&goal

Guest 4th&goal

I've never got on this board and degraded the work ethic of private schools or questioned a coaches ability. I have made the point that some coaches have been more succesful at private schools than at public schools. There has been no rebutal to that, because there is none, unless you admit they have more advantages at private institutions, whether it be better athletes, better facilities, better parental support, or more support from alumni and administration.

My point is, public's aren't bashing private's, merely stating they have advantages the average similar size public school is lacking. This idea infuriates people like "Wildcatfan". I will never tell my kids they can't compete against someone, and for you to sit in the stands and question my, and my kid's work ethic is obnoxious. Please don't try to sound smart by comparing an organization like the TSSAA to our legislative branch. I have a representative from by congressional district in Congress. I do not however, have a representative from my school, or region, or district on the TSSAA Board. As a matter of fact, 1a nor the private school division has a representative on the Board. The TSSAA is neither a democracy or a republic, get the facts.

In saying all this, private schools will never be convinced that they have any advantages over public schools. Doesn't sound like something they would put on their billboard does it - "Come to #$%^^ , we don't give you any advantages over attending a public school!"

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never got on this board and degraded the work ethic of private schools or questioned a coaches ability. I have made the point that some coaches have been more succesful at private schools than at public schools. There has been no rebutal to that, because there is none, unless you admit they have more advantages at private institutions, whether it be better athletes, better facilities, better parental support, or more support from alumni and administration.

My point is, public's aren't bashing private's, merely stating they have advantages the average similar size public school is lacking. This idea infuriates people like "Wildcatfan". I will never tell my kids they can't compete against someone, and for you to sit in the stands and question my, and my kid's work ethic is obnoxious. Please don't try to sound smart by comparing an organization like the TSSAA to our legislative branch. I have a representative from by congressional district in Congress. I do not however, have a representative from my school, or region, or district on the TSSAA Board. As a matter of fact, 1a nor the private school division has a representative on the Board. The TSSAA is neither a democracy or a republic, get the facts.

In saying all this, private schools will never be convinced that they have any advantages over public schools. Doesn't sound like something they would put on their billboard does it - "Come to #$%^^ , we don't give you any advantages over attending a public school!"

Absolutely right, I agree with this whole-heartedly. The fact that your observation on the record of a coach at a public vs. a private school being better at the private is a clear indication that there are advantages for the privates. The private supporters jump all over anyone that says they have an advantage if they have some rebuttal, but there is no way they can deny what you are saying in this instance, therefore, they choose to ignore it and hope no one else notices your point. Keep bringing it up. We need all the help we can get to get these 1A privates moved into a situation where they are competing where they should be, not riding herd over the small 1A public schools.

Edited by GregC

White Station is the best school for basketball and it is public...

Where is the advantage at?

Compare them to MBA, who is downright pathetic, yet probably has around the same amount of boys...both schools have open enrollment, and MBA has better facilities...

What is your rebuttal for that?

We can also talk about baseball...two schools, Houston and Farragut come to mind...which were better last year than any other private school...

I'm not saying publics are always better than privates, or vice versa...

P.S. I respect your post, I enjoy talking to people that are as professional as you, I do not make many posts on here because people get personal...keep writing the way you are, and you will get a lot of respect, from those who agree, and disagree with you.

White Station is the best school for basketball and it is public

Is it true that White Station can draw kids from all over Memphis? If so, White Station would be in a unique situation (unlike other school districts) that would allow them to accumulate talent from all over the city.

Is it true that White Station can draw kids from all over Memphis? If so, White Station would be in a unique situation (unlike other school districts) that would allow them to accumulate talent from all over the city.

There are far more "open-zoned" publics than you realize. As to that specific example, as long as there's space available, a Memphis student can enroll at any school in the state's largest system. For the current school year, every school in the system had openings in at least one grade.

Yes there are a few in 1A.

Mitchell High School, which has a brand new High School, went to the state championship last year against Lipscomb and went to the final four in basketball...no one says anything.

Alcoa is open zoned, which I believe finished in the top 4.

Maryville is open zoned, and one could make a case they have been the best team in the state three out of the last four years.

Ridgeway is open zoned and they won two out of the last three state championships in basketball, and last years state championship in AAA for football.

The complaining is stupid, when you think about how many schools have open zones that are public or magnet.

If we have to classify on real or percieved "advantages", let me suggest the following:

Small Open Zoned Urban

Small Urban

Small Rural

Small Rural - Cloudland

Small Big City Private

Small Little City Private

Medium Open Zoned Urban

Medium Rural

Medium Rural - Marion County

Medium Big City Private

Medium Small City Private

Big Small City Open Zoned

Big Open Zoned Rural

Big City Medium Private

Really Really Big Public - Open Zone

Small Private - Big Recruiting Area but not a lot of academic standards

Really Really Big Public

Big Private But Not as good as Small Private at Recruiting because "Hey, We got standards"

Really Really Big Public who win more than 80% of their games 90% of the time

The above list, although not all inclusive, should be a good start.

I think the public -private debate is amazing! Especially 1A. The advantages are as follows. everyone who goes there must pass an entrance exam, after you pass the entrance exam you must pay upwards of 5 to 10,000 dollars to be admitted...a school such as Ezell-harding has 265 kids enrolled 9-12, almost 70% of those are girls...much smaller pool of guys to draw from...facilities....stands on one side, an extremely small and old field House...no scholarships...no finanicial aid...two full time assitants not counting the head coach.....and don't ever say they recruit...what a joke...offensive line averaged less than 200 pounds this year....four players on the team over 200 pounds...2 of those were quarterbacks...where does the offensive or defensive system figure into this....do kids get excited about running the ball 50 times a game...will your best skilled athletes get excited about having caught 10 balls a year...most offenses feature one kid at tailback...like Antioch...do the others get excited about watching him run...do go athletes get excited about handing the ball off 50 times.....i think not...don't hammer the privates...less than 10 years ago Trousdale county beat Ezell 76 points....was TC recruiting....I doubt it....where does hard work, coaching, motivation figure into the equation