Weight lifting program

enfuego

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is some advice coming from a certified strength coach. If you lift before practice your wrestlers will burn more fat on the mat, but they will learn and practice their moves with less strength and intensity. And we all know most people will perform on the mat likr they practice. If you lift after practice, you wreslters will not gain as much stregth as lifting before, but they will increase in power and endurance. Too many people think power and strength are the same, but they are not. Strength is like your one rep max, power is how many times you can lift a certain weight. For example power would be a 225 rep out. Power and endurance is much more crucial for wrestling than strength. Also this allows your wrestlers to learn and perform their moves will maximun strength and power. Depending on the time of the year is when you should change from high weight low reps to high reps low weight. You need to have four cycles a year where these things will change to maximize wrestlers growth. In additon going to the weight room three times a week during season is great for wrestling. I personally prefer after to yield the highest results on the mat. It has helped our team grow in strength on average of 15% to 20% a year.

In my experience I have found that it is very difficult to gain strength and muscle mass during a wrestling season. Heavy lifting is probably not a good idea when you are putting your body through intense wrestling practices every day. In season, the focus should be on maintinence. I would recommend a circuit training type of work out. I would make it fast moving, high reps, 2-3 days a week. These lifts should take around 30 minutes. Hit upper body one day, lower body the next day and do a full body strength day on the third day. On that third day you could try strength exercises that get the body moving....stairs, buddy carries, monkey jumps, partner exercises, towel pull-ups, etc. People have mentioned the pros and cons of doing this before or after practice. I would consider separating it entirely. See if you can get your coach to open up the weight room in the mornings before school. I liked Tues - Thurs mornings and - Sat/Sun afternoon. Lift throughout the season. Try to work around match days but also keep in mind what the goal is - State tournament. Get yourself where you need to be by the end of the season. Cut your lifting off a week before the state tournament.

There are other ways to do this and other philosophies. It depends on the kid, the coach, the school, the schedule, etc. Try to find someone who knows what they are talking about, who knows the sport, and preferably who knows the athlete.