Weight lifting program

enfuego

I need some direction. First, is weight lifting after practice and during the season recommended. (Assuming that the wrestler still has energy). If so, what kind of program and how often. Light weights and more reps or heavy weights with less reps. Also how close to a match should a wrestler stop lifting. Maybe if someone could direct me to a site, maybe a college program or the like. Any thoughts on creatine?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

it depends on what you're trying to do. most wrestlers are trying to do nothing but tone and keep their weight down so you do light weight more reps. however, if you're trying to build muscle mass, then more weight, less reps is the way to go. only use creatine if you're building up because you'll retain fluids.

I once heard Dr. Dean Edell MD, syndicated radio host, deliver a stern warning about the use of creatine - it's dangerous and has very, very, little effect. I also did a search on creatine and found it could be extremely damaging to the kidney.

For more information go to: discoveryhealth.com.

Be safe. Stay away from it.

Edited by ijtx

From most studies excess creatine builds up in the kidneys. If you read the directions on creatine they talk about a two week or longer break in cycles of use and they also speak of being overly hydrated. The thought process is that extra water through the kidneys will carry out the stored/wasted creatine. In our sport, hydration levels are seldom high. I would not ever recommend it to any athlete espically not a wrestler.

i have this wrestling video and at the end it has two work-outs. one is just an in-home work-out for people who don't have any weight equipment, the other is one this team uses during season. all it uses is a curl bar and only takes around 5-10 min. the websites is www.LakerWrestling.com i havent cheked the website but it may help some.

You get out of lifting what you put into it. It is my understanding that when Jordan coached Clarksville, they lifted about 1 hour each day (heavy weight & low reps) and wrestled for 1.5 hours. The problem is that most coaches still think that if a kid cuts weight they will be big for their weight classification and have some type of advantage. What they should do is tell a kid to grow into a weight classification by lifting and bulking up. By doing this the kids feel good the whole season and become big enough to help the other sports like footbll, track, and baseball. There is a reason that the worlds fastest men lift heavy weights, it helps to make you faster and a better athlete.

what I've found to be most effective is an intense eight week program before the stat of the season 3 days a week-light weight, high reps, several lifts. up unti (around 15)l a month and a half in the season, 3 days a wek-light weight , high reps, not as many lifts (10ish). and to finsih out the season, 2 days a week-light weight, high reps, same number of lifts as previous(10ish). the high reps help to keep up the endurance needed in the third period. just my views.

My kid has been involved with Chris Bird's weight training program for the last 5 years. It's one of the best program's he's ever been involved with. Each year, his strength has increased 15-20%.

Their's nothing fancy about it, it's just common sense, hard work - and it works everytime. It's a fantastic program for all athletes, not just wrestlers, and any kid is welcome.

Edited by ijtx