TSWA Class A

TyFry

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually the All State stuff is usually based on record. Since the privates had better records in general this year than the publics it only makes sense more kids made all state.

Really this is the same argument that is going on on other threads about privates doing better than publics...ie more privates in the last rounds of the playoffs etc., it is just another way of saying it.

I did notice that the public schools that did well were well represented.

So why do the private schools dominate Single A? Please don't respond with cheating accusations. I don't buy that about private schools anymore than certain public schools. They obviously are doing something better. It is also more than just better coaches. What are these "advantages" that make them more successful than their public counterparts.

Actually the All State stuff is usually based on record. Since the privates had better records in general this year than the publics it only makes sense more kids made all state.

So you can be the best player and not make the all-state team because you are on a bad team. Why not then give an all-state team award instead of just picking the best players off of the best teams.

So you can be the best player and not make the all-state team because you are on a bad team. Why not then give an all-state team award instead of just picking the best players off of the best teams.

I didn't say it was fair, just the way it is.

Which doesn't really have anything to do with the thread, which is that the # of All State Players from privates proves something.

A free education is an advantage that public schools have. Kids that are good athletes that can not afford to go to a private school or are unwilling to pay that amount (heck, I'm unwilling to pay 12 dollars for chicken at KFC when I can get it for 8 at Krogers) can take advantage of this education.

If the person who asked that comment was sincere then that is fine, but I stopdealing with this board when I have to explain myself over things like that.

I think the original post said it was just a coincidence with no accusations. Don't you think that it is odd that such a high percentage come from private schools? There are more public school players in the state.

Tacoma,

As I said earlier I think there is such a high percentage of private players because there was a high percentage of private teams in the finals and semis. While the number of All State players seems like a new argument, it is the same one as the number of private teams in the semis and finals and therefore has been discussed to death on other threads.

Statistically you can't prove anything without a big enough sample. Your error goes down as sample size goes up. Thus any statistical argument made with 1, 2, or even 5 year's worth of data is really no argument at all...not enough sample size. A 10 year sample is better, 20 better than that. Anything much smaller could just be a temprorary aberration. Thus, while the argument may or may not be true that privates have an advantage, using the past year's statistics to show it (while sounding good) is worthless.

Just as an example, if we were having this argument in '99 I could point to the last 3 years and say Publics had all the advantages...it takes more than a few years to make a statistical argument.

You may can say that for football but look back at all of the other sports. Privates have had a leg up for years.

Let me ask this, if this trend continued another five years, would you support changes in the present system?

I would whole heartedly support any change that was applied equally and fairly to all members of the TSSAA. A merit system fits this bill.

Anything else isn't a change to the system, it is discrimination against whoever it is applied to.

Consider this, let's take the records of teams for the last 2 years. If the team has won 80% of their regular season games and made it 2 rounds into the playoffs for 2 years then they have to move up a category. The State Champ in each division automatically moves up. If a team has lost 80% of their regular season games for 2 years then they can opt to move down a category. Cap the movement at 2 categories (1a can be forced up to 3a if they keep winning but not 4a, 5a could come down to 3a if they keep losing but not 2a). Within 4 or at most 6 years most of the really dominating teams in the lower categories would have moved up once or twice. And as a bonus some of the non-competitive teams in the larger categories will be able to come down and compete.

The best thing about a merit system is that it addresses what everyone CLAIMS is the root problem...competitiveness without singling out 1 category of school (private, metro, etc)

Note: If this system were currently in place in 1a Ezell Harding, Boyd Buchanan, CPA, and possibly a few other teams would be moving to 2a next year. In 2a Tyner Academy, David Lipscomb, and possibly a couple of other would be moving to 3a. I don't know much about 3a but Hillsboro would be headed to 5a as would Maryville I think.

Heck, you could even move the div2 schools back in since competitiveness is the criterion...if they dominated they would all move up.

Here is the Single A TSWA All-State team.  I guess it is just another coincidence that it is dominated by private schools.  How do they just keep getting these great athletes?  No accusations, just wondering.

Usually the better teams have the most players. For example in 2A 18 out of the 35 players that were recognized as all state players came from 4 schools....Tyner, Lipscomb, Huntindon and Milan. Those 4 teams were certainly among the best in 2A.

Edited by VolunteerGeneral