Is bowling a sport?

SofaKing

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, something can be very unique, bowling is. Not many sports are like bowling, bowling pits you against nothing. You against your own skill if anything. You don't face the elements, or another person directly. Not many sports are like that.

Bowling, if played competitivley, is a team sport. If you do well, but the rest of the team doesnt, you wont come out on top. Everyone must do their part to get to the goal. Now, some people do bowl as a hobby. They go to the alley with a few friends just to relax. There not worried about hitting the pocket, or tryin to convert a 7-10 split. All in all, bowling is fun, either as a hobby or competitive.

I dont know why the link isnt working, so Ill just paste the response here-

That said, I consider arguments over whether bowling is or is not a sport to be not a proper topic here. TSSAA calls bowling a sport and conducts a state series for it. Therefore, for CoachT purposes, it's a sport. It just happens to be a sport that many people also play just for fun.

Just because it is endoresed as a sport doesn't mean we can't argue that its not. Now to some it can be a hobby, but I think to the ones that really love it, it should be considered more of a game than a sport. Now a sport is classified under a game as something a little more physical, but then again no one calls hide and seek a sport. Now the basis of bowling is a lot like skeeball, so why isn't skeeball a sport? Its the same principle, only futher and heavier and with pins. You roll a ball and try to hit a certain place, more or less. Seems like a game to me. Even if it does involve some physical activity.

...Now the basis of bowling is a lot like skeeball, so why isn't skeeball a sport? Its the same principle, only futher and heavier and with pins....

and not with little holes, and not an arcade game, and with 10 pins not 10 balls, and not a coin-op system, and points aren't lit up in neon and flashing lights, and the names different, ........etc........ but besides that, theyre identical- skeeball should definately be a sport.

Actually now that I think about it, soccer and fuseball are a lot alike, they go back and forth and you try score in a goal, and there are 11 little men in shorts, and theres a goalie,...............so why isnt fuseball a sport?

Think about it this way, if I go out and jog a lap around the track by myself, runnings not a sport, but if I spike up and compete in a track meet, its a sport. Same with bowling- if I go out with some friends and we rent some shoes and down a couple pitchers (soda of course) and have ourselves a jolly-good time, bowlings not a sport, but if were all with our team competing in a match or practice, its a sport. There isnt too much more to debate, call it a sport if you want, dont call it one if you dont want. There are still people who would tell me that cross country isnt a sport because theres no ball, so obviously, people are going to debate whether or not bowlings a sport...

I said, the BASIS of skeeball is the same...anotherwords is has the same point...to get a ball to hit a certain place. Going out and running by yourself is still a sport, its just that you're practicing for the sport, even if you don't compete in the sport. There is plenty to debate, personally I was just throwing in my 2 cents in the beginning because I didn't really wasnt to debate it I just wanted to throw in an opinion. However; no one here seems to look at it like I was trying to get them to. Bowling is always a hobby, no matter how seriously you play it. You're competiting against yourself, against your own personal best in order to beat others. You cannnot effect their play and they cannot effect yours, you decide your own destiny. Most other sports require a head to head contact, most of them require personal battles against someone as well as team battles. Bowling is a one on one, you against yourself. Thats why I don't think bowling is ever a sport. You should take it seriously whether you're bowling with your friends or you're competiting with a team, because in the end everyone wants to win, and the level of how serious you are when you play it shouldn't decide whether or not its a sport.