Is bowling a sport?

SofaKing

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now, about the running...no everyone cannot run a 400. A 400 is one of the most grueling races. In fact, I've seen sprinters and distance runners run it and ya know what...both say its grueling. If u know about sprinting u will know that a 53 is pretty darn good, infact, the fastest in the state was only a 49. When I ran the 53, i was in good condition, I could run 5 miles jogging. If you think a 400 is easy, go run against some top sprinters who run in the low 50's I bet they whip you. To run a 100 or 200 you don't need endurance, it will help some, but its not needed so much.

I garauntee that any sub 4:30 miler or sub 9:40 2miler in the nation could run a 53. Dont be so proud of how hard your event is. I run everything from 400 to 3200 and the 3200 is the hardest because the pace is not much slower than the 1600, but its 2times as long. Also, who are you trying to impress by being able to jog 5 miles anyway? we have throwers who can do that and theyre lazier than sprinters.

I am not saying that I am anything special for being able to jog 5 miles, it was a statement to say that I know what it feels like to be able to run a long distance and I know what it feels like to run a 400. Long distance is an agonizing dull type of pain. Running a 400 is a burning from your head to your feet, but you gotta move faster type of pain. It makes your chest burn from lack of air, your legs hurt from sprinting so much, your arms hurt from pumping so much, your feet burn with blisters, you're head hurts because you're not sure if you can finish. The speed + the distance are what make it cruel. Really the 400 is not my race, I am a high jumper. Thats my "race." I ran the 400 in the regionals last year, but only because several other people on my team (2) couldn't make it or had to compete in something else. Most sprinters run a lot of distance and a lot of hills, I have never seen many distance runners do 200's. Its two differnent types of the same thing and both deserve respect. I respect distance runners because I don't like to run that far, its too monotonous. I don't really respect short distance runners because it doesn't take much to run a 100, its just pure speed..they didn't earn it. I respect hurdlers. I tried it and I prefered not to have bruises all over. I respect bowlers because I can't bowl that well. However; I don't really think that bowling is something that requires a lot of actual physical ability. Sure you need to practice a lot, but there are lots of things that you need to practice at to be good that aren't sports.

It is absolutely a sport. I think a sport generally entails competition among participants whose activities require training, stamina, hand and eye coordination and committment to excellence. You ever tried rolling a round ball straight between 2 gutters after a few cold ones? It takes alot of training , coordination and committment to do so. Most bowlers I know have a few virtually every night to train

I am not saying that I am anything special for being able to jog 5 miles, it was a statement to say that I know what it feels like to be able to run a long distance and I know what it feels like to run a 400. Long distance is an agonizing dull type of pain. Running a 400 is a burning from your head to your feet, but you gotta move faster type of pain. It makes your chest burn from lack of air, your legs hurt from sprinting so much, your arms hurt from pumping so much, your feet burn with blisters, you're head hurts because you're not sure if you can finish.

Most sprinters run a lot of distance and a lot of hills, I have never seen many distance runners do 200's.

Distance doesnt make your feet blister, your lungs burn? how bout the last sprint at the end? you think thats a slow dull pain? how fast do you run those 5 miles anyway? you seem to have a lot of knowledge on how a fast distance race feels.

As for the second part of your quote, I guess Maryville distance running is kind of slack, because over the course of a track season, distance runners on our team will run at least 10 times more hills and 200s (and 100s, and 400s, and 60s in the shot put sand pit) than any sprinter on the team. Im not saying that the sprinters are any less dedicated, but it takes a lot more repetitions to make a good distance runner than a sprinter. They may go a few seconds faster on 200m repeats, but you try running 8 200s at 29 seconds each, or 16 400s at 70 seconds each, and if that feels slow and dull to you, you should take up distance running. Dont get me wrong, sprinting is very difficult, takes a lot of speed, and is very gruelling, but dont come on here and tell me that distance running is only painful in a slow dull way or that only sprinting gives you blisters. You ever had your sock drenched in blood after a race? I have, and trust me, I wouldve much rather that my race was about 2 miles shorter that day, but I guess since my lungs werent burning and I didnt have to sprint at the end, and my pain was only dull and slow, it was OK.

O yea, also, I have a huge amount of respect for this guy, so if hes your friend dont get mad, but GJ Hudgins from CPA is a prime example of distance vs. speed. He is one of the top sprinters in the state with a low 50 400, and hes only a sophomore. This past fall, he ran Cross Country, and he ran very well, but not nearly up to the level of his 400 ranking. And dont get on here and tell me that he just doesnt have talent in distance. I ran a 13:30 mile and a half in 8th grade, and didnt get much better sophomore year, but now im down to a 7:58 half way through my three mile race. Distance is all training and heart. You get what you put into it. Ask GJ if Cross Country was painful or if his lungs burned. Like I said, Im one of GJs biggest fans, I just wanted to make an example of how hard distance is.

I am not dissing distance running, its extremely hard, I know I've ran it myself. Sure I haven't ran cross country, but I admit that I don't have the paitence to run that. Now at Maryville I don't know everything the distance runners do, but I know they aren't usually on the track running 200's. Now the sprinters ran 200's, 12 of them and EVERYONE had to be under 26 seconds or we would add another 200. Also, in 400's we would run 15 all in under 60 seconds or we would add another 400. Our sprinters worked just as hard as our distance if not harder, actually if our distance would have had more people we would have been kicking butt last year, but unfortunately we had to live and die by sprinters and field events. Sure distance is hard, and I think it takes a certain amount of talent. GJ or whatever his name is (never ran against him) probably didn't train all that hard for a 400 and probably didn't train all that hard before cross country season. Sometimes a certain talent will only get you so far, and that was my original point. Speed only goes so far, and hard work only goes so far. GJ didn't work as hard as the slower distance runners, but he still did well. However; if they distance runners ran a competitive 400 GJ would kill all of them.

Maryville I disagree completely i think that it doesn't matter how much God given talent you have you have to work harder than everyone else to win...Lance Armstrong had everything against him but he had so much drive and determination he was a winner.....there is no such thing as God given talent...give me one example....I can't think of one. It just depends on the hard work that they provided....take me for example.....never was fast ever...but to be a wide receiver and a point guard I had to be fast....I started running sprints and running distances and running everytime i had a chance....i worked out with weights....stretched and did everything i felt i needed to and more to run fast....i now run a 4.5 second 40....thats pretty dang fast if you ask me....it all depends on how hard you try....not God given talent.

I am not dissing distance running, its extremely hard, I know I've ran it myself.  Sure I haven't ran cross country, but I admit that I don't have the paitence to run that.  Now at Maryville I don't know everything the distance runners do, but I know they aren't usually on the track running 200's.  Now the sprinters ran 200's, 12 of them and EVERYONE had to be under 26 seconds or we would add another 200.  Also, in 400's we would run 15 all in under 60 seconds or we would add another 400.  Our sprinters worked just as hard as our distance if not harder, actually if our distance would have had more people we would have been kicking butt last year, but unfortunately we had to live and die by sprinters and field events.  Sure distance is hard, and I think it takes a certain amount of talent.  GJ or whatever his name is (never ran against him) probably didn't train all that hard for a 400 and probably didn't train all that hard before cross country season.  Sometimes a certain talent will only get you so far, and that was my original point.  Speed only goes so far, and hard work only goes so far.  GJ didn't work as hard as the slower distance runners, but he still did well.  However; if they distance runners ran a competitive 400 GJ would kill all of them.

1. show me a team that has even one sprinter that can run 15 400s all in under 60, and I will be absolutely in awe.

2. Just because Maryville doesnt have their distance team on the track doesnt mean they arent training and it doesnt mean all distance runners dont run on the track.

3. making a bold statement like saying gj didnt train hard is ridiculous- especially when its preceded by the admission of not knowing anything about him. Actually, no, I cant even be that nice about it- what you just said is one of the stupidest things Ive ever read- he trained under a very good coach and I saw him out on the trails running all the time and he will continue to improve if he keeps running CC, and his hard work and dedication will eventually pay off even more than it did this year. Yes he is easily the fastest 400 runner in the state among CC runners, but thats not completely because he is gifted, it comes from the hours and hours of training and dedication he and every good runner (no matter how far they run in races) puts into the sport.

Now that weve gone completely off tangent, Im going to end my side of the argument with this- I think youre either trying to find an argument and you dont really care which side youre on as long as its an argument, or youre a really stubborn, unflexible sprinter who felt the need to post in a bowling thread. A sport is defined by those who compete in it, not by those who merely sit aside and mock it. If you dont think bowlings a sport, fine- just leave the topic alone, because you know nothing about bowling, and very little about running, so everything you say is mindboggling and absurd. please stay in Maryville where they train with elite level interval workouts yet dont win championships, and leave us bowlers alone.

And thats all Im saying, Im out of this thread for good- Ciao

Edited by The_Future