Coaches Control

storm

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

COMPLETE control. Unfortunately, in today's society where everyone wants to be in charge (ie. parents and school board members) it rarely happens. It is the only way a program can be successful over time. Basically today it only happens with those programs that WIN constantly. Examples are mostly girls programs at Shelbyville, Jackson County, Clarkrange, Oak Ridge. Coach Pitts had it at Science Hill. Hopefully, Carlton has figured it out and will steer clear at BA. Unfortunately, the professional style of handling things has trickled down to the high school level. Firing the coach is easier than firing all the players who don't work hard or have a crappy attitude or just don't have any talent to speak of. Too bad parents can't be fired for incompetence. Our country could not afford the unemployment that would cause!

A coach should have control of his/her team in every aspect on the court. Off the court, there is a fine line between having control and being a control freak. For example, some coaches make players wear slacks and a tie on the night of a game. That's fine if they want to do that. Thank God we didn't have to! However, if it is not on a game night, their parents are in control of what they wear. Different people like different things, and as long as it's decent I sure dont see anything wrong with it. As far as brands go, who cares what brand somebody is wearing!

Coaches should have the same control in a gym as they do in a classroom. Even though at times things get sometimes over excited in a gym more than a classroom we should still set examples for the kids. At the same time the crowd should show the same control as a teacher would. Alot of the attitudes of the kids reflect on what they have been taught from adults. Noone ever thinks everything in life is perfect so why do coaches think the kids or parents are perfect. Like the refs they call bad calls and so do coaches. No one is perfect in the world. So we need to show the kids even though things are not always right we have to accept things and go on without losing control.

Coaches are human and make as many mistakes as kids do, especially in pressure situations. There are some very good level headed coaches and there are some that are on a power trip. A good coach cares about his/her players above all else. Kids can tell when that is genuine or fake. Kids will do anything for a coach, when they can trust that coach. Coaches have families that rely on them and they must spend time with them. What many coaches need to realize is some players look to them every day for help. Many kids will not ask for it, and may even refuse it if asked, but a good coach takes the time. Coaches know what is going on, they hear most everything. Some take advantage of that knowledge to tear kids down, the good ones build them up. Kids will appreciate that for a lifetime. Tear a kid down and he will remember it for a lifetime.

A coach should take as much blame for losses as the kids. Very few do, some never do. I see coaches get so mad at kids in a GAME, when it was not actually the kids fault. Kids see the good and bad in all of us. When a kid is blamed or punished because of political agendas, etc. they know what is going on, as well as the adults. I have seen and continue to see it today. There are no perfect people. If a coach dislikes a kid or does not want that kid on his team, cut him early, give him a chance to play somewhere else or some other sport. Don't keep him around for 4 years of abuse. Too much not being able to communicate with kids will result in that coach looking for a job. I look @ Coaches Tyson, Russell, Rudesill they say very little in games. I look at some coaches calling every play and are so intense that they actually cause mistakes on the floor. A team takes on the coaches personality and if the coach chokes so does the team. If a coach plans and coaches well in practice, minor adjustments are needed at times, but the kids have to be able to be loose and play. Coaches on power trips do not realize they are hurting the whole program, not just 1 or 2 kids.

The same standard should apply to a coach in the gym as it does to a teacher in a classroom. A teacher is not allowed to "cuss" or degrade students in the classroom, why do many coaches get by with that kind of conduct in the gym or during a game??? Do school boards have different standard in the gym than in the classroom? In some cases, it does appear to be so. Most coaches do play by the "code of conduct", but it is the one or two that gives all coaches bad names.

swanson, such an idiot remark! The coach has to have complete control or they will not respect him. I cannot believe the remarks of some of you people. Were you born yesterday. Get real! Are you all players or parents that want to run the show so that little Johnny gets to play when he isn't worth snuff! Boo hoo hoo! :unsure:

An idiot remark...that is all they should have...and I ain't either player nor student...I just give my opinion...some coach try to run everything...and they shouldn't be able to do that...they are hired to coach and that is all they should do...they should call the plays and tell the players what to do...and if you think my remark and everybody elses is an idiot remark...give us your opinion and see how idiotic yours is bigjack...

You have no clue swanson. Basketball is a team sport that the coach has complete control over. It is not a democracy in which parents nor players have a say so. If parents control the team, it would be a disaster. If players control the team it would be a double disaster. There is one Chief and the rest are indians, PERIOD!! :unsure:

your right bigjack.in the home is not a democracy either.the parents call the shots at home but the coach calls the shots on the playing field.by definition,that is a dictatorship.byut i think some people disassociate the word dictatorship to mean something bad in this way.sure we live in a country of a democratic govt but there must be some obedience when it comes to certain things.i remember as a volunteer baseball coach i would hear some parent attempt to tell his or her kid how to hit a baseball.most arent that knowledgeable about the game.parents should have control of there kids on most things but a coach has responsibilities to teach the game his way,not the parents methods.i dont normally have too much of a problem with parents getting in my way as far as teaching goes but parents need to understand that they want there own kid to be obedient to others as well because when a kid reaches adulthood and starts to work,he has to obey how things are run there also.some people like to go against the grain when told to do something but need to understand why.if a coach is worried about how someone dresses on the day of a game is fine.setting an example is what we all are in it to do.helping a kid in such a way that you can make a difference.you never know what affect you have in there lives.players know if a coach really cares.they dont care as much what you know until they know how much you care.spending time with those kids will make a difference in the longterm.sometimes coaches do get frustarted as we all do on occasions.i know i do as well.but understand why and pour your heart out to them and you can get alot out of them.

I agree that there is only one chief and the rest are indians...but I want to bring up the points about the parents...I don't like the parents who argue with the coaches about their kid not getting enough playing time..If they ain't good enough to play...they shouldn't get to play much...most players quit because they have had it put through their head that they are the best and have to do everything...but when the coach sits them out the parents get mad because their kids ain't getting to play...this is completely off topic but this is a subject that most people can comment on...