Should all players play in winning by 20 or losing

NUMBERONE

I think all players should get to play if a team is winning or losing by 20 points. For the players on the bench they work just as hard if not harder than the starters. I know some starters that don't even make all the practices yet play and some kids who go to every practice and never touch the floor even if the score is over 20 points ahead. Coaches need to learn part of coaching to respect just as a player has respect for their coaches by doing all they ask. If a coach respects his team he or she should play each player when such a lead in a game.Everyone knows with 3 minutes to go in a game and a team up by 20 who will win and that it will help the team to let all play. This is something I saw in a game Tuesday night and the team I saw was up by 20 and not all players got to play even Seniors and Juniors. At least they could had played the guys who has been giving there all and been to all the practices .

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Numberone

It is called respect. Respect for the players who have dedicated 4 years to the program. Most coaches hide behind the "It is a privelege to be on my team" in defense of their remarkable selfish ulterior motives. Or they may have the "what I say goes attitude - in other words I am the boss". Of course these coaches ultimately do not succeed in winning because they are tearing the team chemistry to pieces by doing this. A friend of mine told me he watched a game where the coach actually put his starters back in after the 2nd team had run up a 30 point lead in the fourth period and also played the starters for almost half the period. Supposedly the coach wanted a certain player to run up his statistics. Now I would have to say to this coach what Raymond said said to his brother on the "Everybody love Raymond" show "you are an idiot rapped in a moron". A coach is a teacher. He should leave ALL his ulterior motives at home. He is not the owner nor the father of the team - he is only a part of the team. To step on kids in this manner is truly a travesty. One that parents and students never forget. It is truly a privilege to be part of a basketball team - and guess what THAT INCLUDES COACHES TOO!!! Sad to say but there are alot of high school coaches out there that don't deserve the positionl. The only reason they are there is for status or the extra pay - that is truly sick. There is absolutely nothing more valuable than experiencing playing ball on a team that has a good coach and great team spirit. It builds great character in young people, and memories that will last a life time.

Just curious - what district is this coach in????

The coach was a 12 A coach. Each player is paying there respect by doing as the coach ask when asked but in return all they want is just to get to say they got to play. I do feel the reason this happens is for the coach to show his power over the kids who do not get to play. It is a sad thing that someone wants to boost the score and they do not care about the team only the top 7. The team does not win or lose when the coach feels this way only the top 7 that play get to feel the win or loss. Coaches need to be coaches and remember all the kids not just certain kids.

Edited by NUMBERONE

It should be a case by case bases. Frequently some guys are on the team but not serious about the game. they do not do the work away from practice to help the team or theirselves. Blow-outs present the opportunity for dedicated players to take more risk and develop another part of their game wheather that be shooting the 3, ball handling etc. Somtimes it is a chance for a good player to come out of a slump or average player to develop the confidence in his shot to contribute better in a big game. In addition today 20 is not a big lead with the inconsistent refs and the 3 pointer. It is the coaches call, sometimes they make mistakes, sometimes they teach players lessons that are useful in life even if the player does not agree. Its the coaches call, if not successful he is the one who will lose his job. :P

I think Jadoka makes a good point in stating that a 20 point lead with 3 minutes left is not a huge lead with the way the game is played today (3 pt. line). However, I feel that as soon as the coach feels comfortable with the lead, then he should sub in the players that have been at the practices, and giving thier all to work and become better. However, it comes down to many different cases, and circumstances, so unless you are on the team, you won't truly understand the reasons behind the coaches actions. I think it comes down to the coach being comfortable with the lead...no matter how much time or score...

There are many things that a coach can do up or down by 20. As a coach I would like to put every player on the bench into the game. But there are many factors that I consider. Sometimes it is imprortant to work on some things that the guys are having trouble with and to help them improve I will keep them in the game to work on these things. Sometimes the guys on the bench aren't working as hard as they should and don't earn the right to play. Now as some of you said when it gets to the final few minutes of the game, yes I personally try to get all the guys in at some point. I do realize all coaches are different and some do have egoes. My point is that some coaches have justified reasons that fit there system as to why some kids aren't in the game. Also most parents do not attend practices so they do not know what there kid is doing during that time.

Edited by bigAsports

Generally, I think it is good coaching to get as much playing time for your 2nd string for a couple of reasons. One, you never know when you will lose a starter(injury, sickness, grades) and having a player ready to step in is invaluable. Second, do you what to risk injury to a starter in a blow out? A couple of years ago I saw a football game when the opposing team was up by 35 in the 4th quarter and their starting tightend broke his ankle; he's out for the season! Why was he on the field? We had a starter twist his ankle against TSD. He was never the same. I know you always risk injury any time you step on the court but why take an unwarranted chance.

If a player doesn't deserve to play because of practice effort then, of course, that's a whole different story. A coach should communicate that to the player.

What I have the biggest problem with is coaches that keep pressing with a large lead. This is HIGH SCHOOL sports. There is no reason or excuse to embarrass a group of kids. I understand some coaches ALWAYS want their players to be aggressive but at least drop back to a half court man-to-man. I know some people will say " tough luck, that's life.. get used to it" but I also believe a life lesson about respect and mercy toward a weaker person means something as well.

Question- Is it O.K. for a male to use the word "mercy" in today's society?

Edited by Dalton91

I agree that as many players should get as much playing time in a blowout as possible depending on what quarter it is. I have seen many basketball teams come back from 20 points down to win a game. But, with that said, if a good team is playing a poor team, play everybody and let the starters rest and not take the chance of a stupid injury. This goes the same in football or any sport, not just basketball. I know that when one football team in Nashville was running up very high scores a few years ago, the starters played most of the game to pad their stats. Not very good sportsmanship, and missing out on a good opportunity to your underclassmen some experience.