Girls wrestling

Sommers

I believe we may be at the level now where coaches could offer a mini girls team for the girls rather than having girls on the mats with our teenage boys. I would encourage Ronnie Carter, if possible, to look into Texas that has it's own girls division of wrestling now, which includes the state tournament. Talk about logisical problems like geography, but it may be easier for us to manage here in Tennessee.

Sommers/Blosser

Smyrna

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Texas was actually the second state to offer girls' wrestling (the first was Hawai‘i). However, Texas' weight classes are probably better suited to Tennessee, as we draw from a more-similar gene pool.

An interesting question: what style should it be? All women's collegiate programs in North America are freestyle. The major drawback there would be lack of officials.

I belive the more women/girls that wrestle will save the sport.

Women wrestling is growing. Support all who wrestle. I would be

nice if the trouble wrestling is having with Title nine was helped

by the influx of women wrestlers.

Michael Morelan

Edited by morelanmn

Women's wrestling is an Olympic Sport. I believe that there are 8 weight classes. I believe that women's wrestling will be good for the sport. It would end the Title IX debate and, there would be a new group of student athletes in the state. And, don't forget, another state tournament means more money for the TSSAA. Finally, girl's wrestling will end the controversy of guys wrestling girls.

Okay, you guys are right. However, I do not want to be the one to defend the position of should girls wrestle or is it interesting to watch.

But, there is some kind of Olympic competition that has women running around on a wrestling mat (or gymnastic mat) with a baton and some kind of ribbon on the end of it. They dance around and spin the baton and make designs for the crowd. My point is this, just because the Olympics has it does not sanction it as a "sport", at least in my own little view of things. It is only my opinion and I probably don't speak for anyone else on this.

I promise not to defend my view past the above resonse. :D

Edited by texas23

Funding, quality coaches, athletes, facilities, etc... for mens wrestling is already very low for most programs. Some of you think by adding girls wrestling that it will improve that situation. I think it will cause even more of a burden for the schools.

morelanmn, I think you're associated with McMinn Central and I don't mean to put down that program but it is and has been a struggling program in regards to fielding a team. How would adding a girls team at your school help the mens program? It would only create an addtional burden for those involved at your school. I know it would help your daughter because then she could compete with other girls instead of guys but I just don't see it helping the mens program. We need to stop looking for gimmicks to create more interest in our sport. Bradley, Soddy, Clarksville, Overton, Collins Hill, Parkview, Cleveland and I can name other quality programs that don't have a girls program and have been very successful. If you want to really help the mens program succeed I suggest the following.....1. Hire a quality coach or one who will work to improve and not just draw a supplement. 2. Start a feeder program at the middle schools and kids level. 3. Start a booster club. 4. Organize fund rasiers. You will do more for the mens program doing those four things I mentioned than by using gimmicks. Now if you have other reason for wanting a girls team thats fine but I don't see it helping the mens team.

I don't care when the girls wrestle. My opinion is that I don't see how it helps the mens program. I could think of other gimmicks that would benefit the mens program better than girls exhibition matches. Although something like Soddy and Red Bank does as an event for a fund rasier has done well from what I've heard. Again, its a gimmick.

I don't care when the girls wrestle. My opinion is that I don't see how it helps the mens program. I could think of other gimmicks that would benefit the mens program better than girls exhibition matches. Although something like Soddy and Red Bank does as an event for a fund rasier has done well from what I've heard. Again, its a gimmick.

Sly

I would like to hear some of your ideals if you would share them. No disrespect intended .