Girls wrestling

Sommers

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sly.. you are correct, McMinn Central has struggled for some time.

We have went from 4 wrestlers to 23 this year. We have new coaching

(Brian Gossett). We have went from praticing in a condemned gym to

praticing on the school grounds. In fact the kids were only able to pratice

two to three days a week last year. At this time 18 of our kids havent wrestled before this season. We have started a feeder program and plan to visit

the local grammer schools to help inform future wrestlers. Some of our

kids wrestled AAU and that helped a lot,, Al miller in Cleveland treated us

nice with the USA wrestling.

I see any people that want to wrestle as a inprovement. I also see that

if we dont get people involved in this sport it will slowly die.

As for Miranda she wrestles because she likes the sport. I have asked her

would like to do another sport at this time and she refuses. She playes

soccor and does track but in her mind she is a wrestler and I have to support

her in that belief.

Michael Morelan

Mr. Morelan, I think it great that you're supporting your daughter in her beliefs. I'm also glad to hear that the number of wrestlers have gone up at McMinn Central and that you have started a feeder program. It seems you all are moving in the right direction. I just disagree with your original post that girls/women wrestlers will save the sport. I wish you the Chargers and your daughter the best of luck this season and on building your program into a contender one day. Who knows maybe you'll have two wrestling teams one day......men and women.

If girls are going to wrestle they need to have their own team. A guy could not go and join the girls volleyball team. Why should girls be allowed on the boys wrestling team. I am curious what father would allow his daughter to wrestle. Knowing that guys purposely grope and abuse girls on the mat for entertainment. I have seen some very talented female wreslters, but htey should not wrestle guys. If there is not enough interest for an entire girls team then no girls wrestling. Just like there is not a guys volleyball team. Besides the fact that when a guy wrestlers a girl, if he wins, then he beat a girl, and if he loses then he lost to a girl. It is a lose lose situation for most high school boys mentally.

Sly's points are not opionions, he has lived them. Bradley is the preeminent TN public program and has been for several years. They have a great support group of foks like Sly who have who have helped create the environment which fosters this success. Most all the recent top guys out of Bradley were wrestling for Sly 10 to 15 years ago in the youth program. These boys veiw themselves as wrestlers and their parents work to provide the support needed. When they get to HS, the coach has a nucleous of boys committed to the sport along with their families to build a team around. Add a quality coach and your going to have success. Look at all the better wrestlers in the state. Very few of them didn't participate in a youth program. IMHO, girls wrestling won't make any appreciable positive impact on the sport. If you want a successful high school program, invest your time in the feeder programs. If the high school coach isn't passionate about the program, recruit one who is (that's a whole other topic) that will work with these folks (a problem with a lot of coaches). In the same light, I don't feel that the title IX number limitations are the problem at the college level. It's the lack of funding. There is a limited amount of money in the athletic budget and when additional girl sports are funded from the budget, the money leaves the boys sports to do it.

Sly,

Just think how wrestling would be in Judie Foudy had been a wrestler.

Of just if the wrestling community had welcome her in her youth.

What is TSSAA opining on this?

Can a Tennessee Highschool coach refuse a girl?

Michael Morelan

Edited by morelanmn

If girls are going to wrestle they need to have their own team. A guy could not go and join the girls volleyball team. Why should girls be allowed on the boys wrestling team. I am curious what father would allow his daughter to wrestle. Knowing that guys purposely grope and abuse girls on the mat for entertainment. I have seen some very talented female wreslters, but htey should not wrestle guys. If there is not enough interest for an entire girls team then no girls wrestling. Just like there is not a guys volleyball team. Besides the fact that when a guy wrestlers a girl, if he wins, then he beat a girl, and if he loses then he lost to a girl. It is a lose lose situation for most high school boys mentally.

Thank you,

NOW this one is not for chit-chat, THIS IS FOR THE SERIOUS MINDED, TRADITIONAL WRESTLING SUPPORTER:

With the way our world has promoted equality AND STRIVING TO BE politically correct in every sport, every way/everyday, and at the same time, to avoid sexual harassment: all of this considered, we have a very difficult situation here. With a few girls wanting to wrestle. What about a few guys wanting to be on the girls soccer team, basketball, or softball, etc.? That could be interesting.

BUT as far as girls on the mat, who really wants their daughter (in front of 100's-1000's, or even one person-alone) on their backs, forced into a Saturday night ride or honey-mooner, a figure four on the head or visa-versa? How about a bannana-split? Does a wrestler have to think a move rather than instinctively do the high-crouch or a bear-hug?

Why shouldn't a wrestler be able to use his muscle memory (instinctive moves) without fear of being emotionally humiliated or crushed (in the back of his mind hearing,,, you did it to, or manhandled a little "girl," or ...you lost to a little "girl?") and as a result feeling limited, out of due respect remembering which long ago his parents taught him about "how you treat a lady? "

I ask: Why did we change the order of weight-classes in a dual meet? Was it concern over unfairness or discomfort to some wrestlers, like the 103 pounder almost always being first to begin THE BIG MATCH and feeling greater pressure on him?

I have known Ronnie Carter for 25 years and I know what kind of man he is. I've aways felt that he is fair and a man of character. I really wonder if this pressure, or even humiliation, is healthy for the girl wrestler, and considering the motive behind this afore mentioned rule change, are we being consistent in our approach to this sport and its participants?.

I feel in the name of decency, Mr. Carter and others around the state needs to correct this problem and not let it sit. I think it plainly distracts wrestlers, causes discomfort and frustrates the girls that want to compete at the highest level.

It's truly is a lose-lose. I hope this can develop into more than another topic on the message board.

Soms

Here is a question to consider....

If a girl joins the wrestling team, she must be instructed to wrestle, unlike Basketball, Baseball, Football, Soccer etc. an athlete's body is their equipment. For a coach to put himself on the line to show a girl wrestling move is very dangerous. Say for instance that girl gets upset with the coach, now she can say the coach touched her in places she shouldn't have been touched(Fireman's dump, High Crotch Single, pinning combination for a half nelson). There are too many opportunities here for a coach to lose all he has established. We are a different sport...I work the moves with my wrestlers, I wouldn't work the moves with a girl... Not that I don't think girls could be competitive, I just don't want to see my future get destroyed...

I can't refuse a girl on my team, but I can resign my job. My reputation and my Family are far more important to me than wrestling(or anything for that matter). I will support a girl's wrestling team, with a female coach, but I don't support girls wrestling on guy's teams.

Coach Gonyea

Smyrna High Wrestling

I completely agree with coach Gonyea. Why risk your career. It only takes one accusation, true or false, to ruin your career. Most girls who come out for wrestling our trying to make a statement, it is not really for the love of the sport. It needs to be stopped. At the end of the year when we as coaches propose new ideas for TSSAA I think this should be high on the list.