Girls wrestling

Sommers

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now there's an idea. I knew you had it in you Soms. You can't just start a bunch of girls' teams out of nowhere. Get them going to the freestyle tournaments. That will help build support and numbers. Then, in a couple of years, see how it's going.

B of W, let's hear your ideas.

I repeat,,,

I wonder how all the proponents of girls wrestling guys will feel when one of these young ladies go down to the mat and never gets up the same again. Hopefully this doesn't happen, but we all know it could, and we're taking a risk that could affect a young woman's life forever and not to mention the guilt it could cause many others.

Let's not wait for tragedy to make us all unite in what is the responsible thing to do. Let's nip this in the bud.

soms

Edited by Sommers

Sommers

Yes a wrestler can get hurt by another wrestler.

So lets just stop all wrestling.

All should just face the fact "Girl wrestlers are Staying"

The TSSAA doesnt seperate them, and they cant

make them quit. The coaches cant stop them from

trying out. Even if the TSSAA made a girls group

they would still be wrestling boys till that started.

Then USA wrestling put the two togather.

Then AAU wrestling puts them togather.

The Nation Federation Of State High Schools

puts them togather.( I see a pattern here)

The TSSAA rule book does not say wrestling is

a boys only sport nor does the NFSHS rules.

Again a girls group would be nice but I dont belive

that can happen at this time. But I also belive the

girls should NOT have to set out untill a program is in place.

I also see your last statement as some weak effort to

influnce girls that may try to wrestle in the future. If not

why would you post it on all the Girl wrestlers forms?

Michael Morelan

Sommers

Yes a wrestler can get hurt by another wrestler.

So lets just stop all wrestling.

All should just face the fact "Girl wrestlers are Staying"

The TSSAA doesnt seperate them, and they cant

make them quit. The coaches cant stop them from

trying out. Even if the TSSAA made a girls group

they would still be wrestling boys till that started.

Then USA wrestling put the two togather.

Then AAU wrestling puts them togather.

The Nation Federation Of State High Schools

puts them togather.( I see a pattern here)

The TSSAA rule book does not say wrestling is

a boys only sport nor does the NFSHS rules.

Again a girls group would be nice but I dont belive

that can happen at this time. But I also belive the

girls should NOT have to set out untill a program is in place.

I also see your last statement as some weak effort to

influnce girls that may try to wrestle in the future. If not

why would you post it on all the Girl wrestlers forms?

Michael Morelan

Life is full of risky choices.

Personally, this is a risk I can't join you on. I just want to feel at peace with my self by avoiding what could one day lead to the destruction of a coach's career, his family and the sport itself. I can see lawsuits stemming from harrassment, assault, inequality, to cruelty. You can't win under these circumstances.

This is a tough one to balance and may take some special arrangements from fellow coaches to set up "same gender" matches separate from the varsity match. I think that could be a safer solution for now.

I'm hearing about some young men considering a challenge in vollyball and softball. That could be interesting as far as the equality issue, but not what is appropriate and/or risky.

soms

Hey,

While all you coaches and so called professionals sit here and ditch how girls wrestling should be dumped b/c its weird or difficult for boys wrestling. I think it should be up to the people who actually get out there and wrestle. Dudes right about the whole VolleyBall thing, though if guys wanted volleyball we would start a guys team. Girls join wrestling b/c theres not a girls league. I really think that all you guys who think this is such a issue need to cool it. Im a newbe myself and at first i would have to admit it was weird but its wrong to say girls are any less or more then guys. There just another God made creation and are just as equal as Guys. Maybe they would disagree 20 years ago but now i believe they should be treated with just as much respect. If you don't want your guys wrestling them coaches just forfeit, and let the team that has the respect win.

JBogs

I respect all opinons on the matter and everyone has theirs, whether it is spoken or not. Call me sexist or whatever you will but i don't like girls wrestling with boys, but I can't do anything about it. I just wrestle whoever it is for TEAM points, if it's a girl then so be it. Anywho, high school wrestling in general is suffering in popularity, I just have a hard time believing that womens wrestling could stay afloat. That's my two cents, love it or hate that's what I believe.

I am a parent with a daughter who loves sports. Fortunately she has chosen sports where she competes against other girls. I hope for the sake of the girls who love to wrestle that they can develop a girls division. I think it is unfair to both the young women and young men to compete against one another. Women were not designed to compete with men in a physical sport. I wish everyone could appreciate the athleticism of each individual rather than base it on gender. I love to watch both my son and daughter compete in their chosen sports. Good luck developing a girls league.

Edited by #1sportfan

do any of you think that women's freestyle wrestling would be able to take flight at the end of the season?

do any of you think that women's freestyle wrestling would be able to take flight at the end of the season?

I know that one female wrestler in middle TN is unable to compete in freestyle or college because they do not have a weight class for her (215). at this weight she is at a major disadvantage in the mens division and is unable to compete in womens. What to do?

I am a parent with a daughter who loves sports. Fortunately she has chosen sports where she competes against other girls. I hope for the sake of the girls who love to wrestle that they can develop a girls division. I think it is unfair to both the young women and young men to compete against one another. Women were not designed to compete with men in a physical sport. I wish everyone could appreciate the athleticism of each individual rather than base it on gender. I love to watch both my son and daughter compete in their chosen sports. Good luck developing a girls league.

Very Healthy view point.

soms

• 9 months later...
Sly.. you are correct, McMinn Central has struggled for some time.

We have went from 4 wrestlers to 23 this year. We have new coaching

(Brian Gossett). We have went from praticing in a condemned gym to

praticing on the school grounds. In fact the kids were only able to pratice

two to three days a week last year. At this time 18 of our kids havent wrestled before this season.  We have started a feeder program and plan to visit

the local grammer schools to help inform future wrestlers.  Some of our

kids wrestled AAU and that helped a lot,, Al miller in Cleveland treated us

nice with the USA wrestling.

I see any people that want to wrestle as a inprovement. I also see that

if we dont get people involved in this sport it will slowly die.

As for Miranda  she wrestles because she likes the sport. I have asked her

would like to do another sport at this time and she refuses. She playes

soccor and does track but in her mind she is a wrestler and I have to support

her in that belief.

Michael Morelan

825120424[/snapback]

With this super Frosh, Hope of Cookeville coming up, is our perspective changing?

What's the latest on Miranda Morelan of McMinn Central? Did she stick with it?

I still wonder why a mini girls team, made up of four to eight female wrestlers can't be formally or informally put together? I know there are a 1-2 girls that can be competitive with some guys, but overall I still see it as a lose-lose situation.

soms