Do you think its right to beat a team by 40,50...

Anklebreaker12

K, I can give you a good example, in Single A District 14, Fayette Academy played Middleton, at Middleton, Tuesday. The score was 96 to 35 (not 73, which I had up first), Middleton won. The starters, could change clothes, if they want to after the second half. They put in there B team, and we saw some good upcoming talent for Middleton, that are just in the 9th and 10th game. Like one poster said, as long as there are no cursing or disagreement, the game should go ahead and be played.

On the other hand, Fayette Academy beat Middleton in football 48 to 14, there starters was in the stand watching the game after the first half, and plus that TCA where they beat Middleton 56 to 6, scoring (I think) 4 TDs in less then a minute.

Edited by wkid87

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its the OTHER teams job to stop you from scoring,Not your's.That being said if you sub and you are still able to score,then so be it.Any good coach isnt gonna tell his sub's "not to try and score". Matter of fact,any player i caught not still giving 100% of his/her ability,just because the game is in hand,I would call them out and probably bench them.But thats just me :lol:

If a team is ahead by 30 they need to play there jv team. The experience for all players is what the team needs and save your varsity for another game when you need your others. I think it is very low for a coach to play its 1st string running up the score with its varsity team while the jv team sits the bench and does not get put in until the last 3 minutes. If you are ahead by 30 and maintain a 30 point lead throughout the game the whole team needs to play not just the 1st string.Never run up a score just for the fun of it. Only if the other team can't do any better and you play your last string. Each kid is out there trying don't punish the other team for trying. If the other team is doing there best but getting beat by 30 don't run it into the ground. You should have sportsmanship.

Edited by NUMBERONE

I think that a team should play hard from start to finish. If you are beating a team by 30 points; yea, you should have your back-ups in the game, but don't tell them to lay off. They practice just as hard as the starters do during the weak, and they deserve to be able to go out and have some fun in front of the crowd. I completely disagree with leaving starters in the game when up by that much. I think it is stupid because you are putting key players in an unnecessary position to get hurt and you always want to get future players time on the floor in a game situation when possible.

THERES IS NO NEED TO RUN UP A SCORE, BUT THERE IS NEVER A NEED TO QUIT PLAYING HARD. YOU MUST SUBSTITUE ACCORDINGLY. IT IS NOT FAIR TO THE SUBS WHO NEVER GET TO PLAY TO TELL THEM TO SLACK. THAT ISNT WHAT BASKETBALL IS ABOUT. FOR TEAMS GETTING SCORED ALL OVER.. IF YOU WANT TO STOP THAT THEN PLAY HARD ON DEFENSE AND WASTE SOME CLOCK ON OFFENSE (THERE ISNT A SHOT CLOCK IN HIGH SCHOOL). THE TEAM LOSING HAS TO BE THE ONES TO SLOW THE PACE DOWN NOT THE TEAM WHO IS WINNING. I HAVE SEEN TERRIBLE TEAMS KEEP SCORES RESPECTFUL BY PLAYING HARD DEFENSE. IF THE OUTCOME IS 40 OR 50 SO BE IT. THE LOSING TEAM SHOULD HAVE SOMETHING TO MOTIVATE THEM AND SHOULD CARRY A BLOWOUT LIKE A CHIP ON THEIR SHOULDER...

calm down now buddy taker e-z. my opinion it about the same as anyone else but i down think the subs should go in against a good team on their bad night b/c their night could turn around quit with a great run. but against a weak team yeah put the subs in

I disagree BigJack. Huntland had to come to Forrest last week. Huntland is down this year and Forrest obviously is not. What, they're not suppose to play this year? The solution was simple and I applaud Coach McClaren for how he handled it. Forrest had Huntland down 20-0 with 25 sec. left in the first quarter and Forrest had the ball. Forrest had already pulled 2 starters. The only thing Forrest wanted at that point was to not be scored on for 1 quarter. That didn't happen because Forrest's coach distracted his 2nd string point guard by calling to him to make sure he knew the play. Of course Huntland stole the ball and scored. No big deal. I don't think any of Forrest's starters got more than 1 quarter of total playing time. Everybody played and they took the press off. At one point Forrest had 4 freshmen and I think a junior in. Forrest still maintained their big lead, but kept it from being really ugly and gave the Huntland boys some small victories. Forrest looses 2 or 3 starters next year. Will it be Huntlands year to shine. They will play the game.

Whether or not it's a rivalry or you want to get some players stats up or what. If I have a good team that is making a run at their district/state, I would be a fool to leave my best team on the court to play in a game that is out of control. If my star player comes down on someones foot and sprains or even worse brakes his ankle...for a game he has already won, what have I got. Remember these are High School teams and they can't usually absorbed the loose of a key player. I owe it to the team, the school and all it's students to keep my players healthy and go as far as they can. Maybe Next Year doesn't get it when it should be this year.

Why are so many people overlooking the injury factor? Starters deserve to be protected more than they deserve playing time. It is bad enough that injuries happen in close games, but there is no exceuse for a star player getting injured when you have a big lead. If the coach is stupid enough to keep them in a one sided game for that long, then they get what they deserve (the coach, not the player) if they get injured. The only posible exception is on a schools Sr. night. But even then, you can't afford an injury going into your dist. tour.