Hillwood Invitational Tournament

nununu

It wasn't just for a guy I was rooting for. But the officiating was horrible at this tournament.

Also, Johnson not only beat Kenny Jenkins, but absolutely dominated him. He had a couple of near falls and Kenny didn't really score until the 3rd pd., and from what I saw, wanted it more than Kenny. As good as this match was, there will be several more towards the end of the season.

If it was so bad, give me five examples of bad officiating that changed a match!

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It wasn't just for a guy I was rooting for.  But the officiating was horrible at this tournament.

Also, Johnson not only beat Kenny Jenkins, but absolutely dominated him.  He had a couple of near falls and Kenny didn't really score until the 3rd pd., and from what I saw, wanted it more than Kenny.  As good as this match was, there will be several more towards the end of the season.

If it was so bad, give me five examples of bad officiating that changed a match!

Losses due to officiating? 1 out of 100, like Scooter, but really the best wrestler wins against all odds including misjudgment or error... even with Mara's tough call(s) considered. Mara has his ups and downs like we all do in life. Tennessee has excellent refs on average and we're fortunate. Both in our state and Nationally, Mara has been one of the tops in wrestling over the past 40 years, JUST KIDDING, I mean 26 years or so. BUT I DO NOT SUPPORT THE CALL IN STATE AGAINST SCOOTER HOUSTON,,, THAT WAS UNFORGETTABLE. It led to this kid losing his mind, his name sake and school's sake and it will never be excusable nevertheless.

Soms

The officiating at this tournament has nothing to do with the Scooter Houston incident at LAST YEAR'S state tournament. It had to do with last weekend and the numerous missed calls by the refs. Beginning with the 130 lb final where the wrestler was not awarded a reversal. The 135 final where the McGavock wrestler was clearly down several times b4 the final takedown. In several matches, pinfalls were not called when the wrestler was laying flat on their backs. There were several more, but I am tired of typing. For the record, I am not saying that all of the officiating in Tennessee is horrible, just on this particular weekend it was not that great. I respect the refs and their calls, but some need to read the handbook on rules, because they seem to have forgotten

Edited by nununu

It wasn't just for a guy I was rooting for.  But the officiating was horrible at this tournament.

Also, Johnson not only beat Kenny Jenkins, but absolutely dominated him.  He had a couple of near falls and Kenny didn't really score until the 3rd pd., and from what I saw, wanted it more than Kenny.  As good as this match was, there will be several more towards the end of the season.

Losses due to officiating? 1 out of 100, like Scooter, but really the best wrestler wins against all odds including misjudgment or error... even with Mara's tough call(s) considered. Mara has his ups and downs like we all do in life. Tennessee has excellent refs on average and we're fortunate. Both in our state and Nationally, Mara has been one of the tops in wrestling over the past 40 years, JUST KIDDING, I mean 26 years or so. BUT I DO NOT SUPPORT THE CALL IN STATE AGAINST SCOOTER HOUSTON,,, THAT WAS UNFORGETTABLE. It led to this kid losing his mind, his name sake and school's sake and it will never be excusable nevertheless.

Soms

The officiating at this tournament has nothing to do with the Scooter Houston incident at LAST YEAR'S state tournament. It had to do with last weekend and the numerous missed calls by the refs. Beginning with the 130 lb final where the wrestler was not awarded a reversal. The 135 final where the McGavock wrestler was clearly down several times b4 the final takedown. In several matches, pinfalls were not called when the wrestler was laying flat on their backs. There were several more, but I am tired of typing. For the record, I am not saying that all of the officiating in Tennessee is horrible, just on this particular weekend it was not that great. I respect the refs and their calls, but some need to read the handbook on rules, because they seem to have forgotten

OK- so you are saying that two judgement calls that you can remeber specifically out of the 700 or so matches that were wrestled makes it a poorly officiated tournament? Plus maybe a few other places where you thought someone should have been pinned. Take that into account with the fact that who is to say that you were right in what you saw? 690 matches right out of 700 total matches makes for 99% accuracy. I say that is hard to complain about.