8AA-A Little Change from the first time round

Rahobk

MLK is the team to beat this year in the district. HumeFogg is beginning to come together and play like they should. Libscomp, as always, is tough and balance. Greenbriar is still hanging around. Portland, with Brewer should still be in the chase. Station camp is having a surpizingly good year so far. East Lit. with Brandon Smith back is going to be tough. Springfeild, dont know whats up with them

Portland played well tonight. A lot of people stepped up for the Panthers. The officials tonight have to be the worse in the mid state area. The refs tried to give the game to the Mustangs. Six minutes left in the Fourth Quarter Lipscomb had commited 2 fouls and the Panthers had committed 12 fouls. It was really sad. I never get on here and talk about the officials but out of all the games i have seen against Lipscomb the refs have been horrible. I have seen lipscomb play many times against other teams beside Portland and its the same. The other teams best player gets in foul trouble and then Lipscomb starts pressing and fouling but no calls are made and they start to get turnovers and Lipscomb pulls away and sits on the ball. Many fans of other teams are tired of it. Its time the officials step up to the plate and call it fair. I know Portland committed some fouls tonight but so was Lipscomb. You know when you are having problems with the refs is when they are missing calls and are worrying about what some high school kid is saying to them. These refs would come over to the fans at the timeouts and appoligize to the fans for there bad calls. Its time the TSSAA get better refs.

Portland did play very well tonight. I agree that the officials missed some calls, both ways. Lipscomb has traditionally been very fundamental, and therefore has a tendency to have fewer fouls. This has been the case for as many years as I can recall. Lets not take the focus away from a great game. Brewer was his usual...good (32 of Portland's 46). I thought Portland got improved play from their bench. Coach Tristan(?) seemed to rotate players in well. Great intensity from the fans.

Unfortunately for Lipscomb, they weren't able to convert their opportunities. They definitely had their chances.

I agree the refs missed a lot of calls on both sides. All Lipscomb teams have good fundamentals. I love how Lipscomb works there offense, they do a good job breaking you down and finding the open person and making big shots, but I have seen a lot of games were Lipscomb would continually foul and the refs would swallow the whistle. I bet most fans that get on this site would say Lipscomb gets more calls in there favor over any other team they play.

I would agree that there are times where a Lipscomb team is "given the benefit of the doubt." I believe that a player or a teams reputation plays a part in some refs calls. I have a feeling that every district has one team that the same thing would be said about them. I know there are some that feel Brewer doesn't get called often enough.

My concern is the criticism referees are getting. I have never been in their shoes, (although I will make calls for them all game long, just ask my wife). As I reflect on their responsibility, I realize that most of us are not willing to take the job. Granted, they accepted it, and should do the best job they can. I know I make many mistakes in my profession. Hopefully their is a system to critic the refs in a professional manner to help them improve.

I look forward to the rematch. Good luck the rest of the season.