Cloudland at Unaka

krichunaka

With all the cancellations the Highlanders of Cloudland have to play North Green and University School later this week. That, after already having beaten a very good Cosby team on Monday, and J Frank White Academy on Tuesday.

Cloudland will provide match-up problems for Unaka's defense. Robbie Tolley against Unaka's 6' 7" Josh Jones is always a fight to the end. Cloudland's Aaron Stocton against Rusty Holtsclaw is another possibility. Cloudland's Mark Byrd and Craig Cook provide major challenges for Unaka's very good guard tandem of Cody Collins and Derek Cline. Rusty Chambers, if he doesn't draw Stocton, will match up with Cloudland's three or four.

But Unaka's offense, when clicking, is a major headache for Cloudland as well; the Highlanders have no player to stop Rusty Chambers? They'd prefer to sit back and zone Unaka, but with any outside shooting success, the Rangers are very dangerous outside-in. Conversely, Cloudland has a very good inside-out offense; and if Cooke is hitting, the inside game of Tolley and Stocton can be lethal.

Unaka has been up and down this year, having battled some of the best teams statewide. Meanwhile Cloudland proved against Cosby that they're ready. The Rangers might have a slight advantage off the bench with the very-athletic Chase Reeves, Tyler McCann, Tee Blevins, and Josh Lowe.

This one will be decided by foul trouble and foul shots.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Krich I wish I was a Highlander unaka I have read your posts on cloudland in the past. Rather it be football or basketball and all though we appreciate your support get your facts right. I have watched all of Cloudlands games and seen two of Unaka's and I have yet to see anyone 6'7 as far as that goes I haven't seen anyone 6'7 all year. There will be no match up problems because Cloudland will probably play zone and more than likely Unaka will press. Cloudland has also been pressing so the game may be fast and furious if this is the case advantage whoever. I myself want to see a good game as well as hard play as in the old days when players spirit and determination settled the outcome not the press and peoples opinions .

Wow, What can I say to uplift this thread ?? hmmmm, Well , from where I sit, (On the RANGER side ) The Rangers have some GREAT Starters in Cline,Collins,Chambers,MaCann, and Jones! ! And the Deepest Bench of any team they have played this year, other than Science HIll , But with Science Hills RECRUITING Staff, They should have 15 Starters on the bench. AnyWay, Back to Cloudland @ Unaka : This game as all the past games between these two teams will be a tough one. and YES the Foul Shooting WILL be a BIG factor. Because the whistle will blow from the get go to the buzzer.

From what I hear , The Highlanders are have Coach and/or player problems , this too, will play an important role. As far as the Rangers go, TEAM BALL WILL determine how they play. and whether they win or not. TEAM BALL STARTERS !!!!

And BackUp !! play from the Bench !!!

Good Luck Rangers !!!

I hear there are problems with both these teams "JugHeadBoy". We've all read on "Coach T" That the Cloudland coach gets no respect from some of his team. Well , did the coach ever give his team any respect ? And the Rangers , Well , from what I hear out of parents and players that the Rangers Coach D. Ensor never gives his players any respect . Ever hear the of the "Golden Rule" ? "All things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye so to them; for this is the law and the prophets". Matthew 7:12 (KJV) or the version you are used to hearing , "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." Think about it ! I also Believe that discipline and respect begins at home , with the parents.

Here's you an example : You ever had an old dog that and all you do is yell at it, beat it down , degrade it ? Well, after a while , that old dog see's you coming and all he "wants" to do is crawl off and hide or just tuck its tail, lower his head and wait and see whats coming next ? sooner or later he is not gonna come arround you at all. But on the other hand , Take another old dog , talk to him, teach him , and yes , you will need to scold him sometimes , to get him to listen , but at the same time , pat him on the back for something good he has done , no matter how SMALL it may be, that same old dog IS going To remember that pat on the back and the kind word and he will continue to work his tail off to please his "Master" .

I know for a fact that Coach J. Ensor and Coach R. Thomas gives the boys a pat on the back sometimes. And the boys think the world of Coach Thomas. And I have even heard that Coach Thomas will call the boys and check on them it they are sick or hurt. I also heard that Coach Thomas followed one of the boys to the emergency room one night after he was hurt during the game.

Don't take this wrong, But I think Coach D. Ensor IS a GREAT coach, But I think he should look somewhere other than just at the Boys , to blame for "Focus" and playing problems, and why they don't play to their potiential sometimes. Its no accident that Unaka Has some of the greatest boys and athletes in the county. Most all of these boys go to Church and have God Fearing Families. and I don't think that you will ever get anything but respect back from them. All they ask is a LITTLE Respect, and Praise from you. Try IT, Look at their past expressions , then tell them there doing a good job on the floor, Then Look at their faces. You may be surprised.

Be thankfull for the (Boys, no; MEN ) God has given you to Coach. They could say their tired of it and "Crawl Off And Hide" . Dont think its a lack of commitment on their part., I think they ALL SHOW Total Commitment !! ITs sad to hear the boys say " Its Just no fun anymore " and I have heard more than 1 say it........

TO FINISH , THIS IS JUST MY OPINION !!

what, a little desention on the creek. want to see an answer for this from some of the ranger faithful. sounds like mister ensor made someone mad. sometimes losing games, even if it's against very good teams will let a little doubtfulness creep into the scene. good assistant coaches, and i think unaka has them, do more of the patting while the head coach does more of the getting on players. this makes for a very good and productive coaching staff. saying it just isn't any fun anymore is a cop out. you'll get out of it exactly what you put into it. it's fun when your winning and normally finger pointing when you don't. i know unaka's schedule has been very tough and this is the downside to a tough schedule. it's hard for everyone to see the big picture when some losing is occuring. as for the game, will be interesting to see cloudland coming off a big win against north greene and unaka coming off a loss to harriman will react. the mental side of the game is a major part of who comes out the winner. if what mountain dew has said is true (players talking), then this game might be a lot closer than what i thought it was going to be. unaka playing at home with their crowd will have to have a slight advantage. again the ranger faithful please give us your insight to this post.

I"ve got to agree with mountain dew. My son plays for donald and he's done a tremendous job coaching the team. But like dew said, you've got to give these boys a pat on the back occasionally. I know they make mistakes, my son is right there at the front of the line when it comes to getting his butt chewed out but you've got to give them an atta boy too. Unaka has a plethera of talent and I'd hate to see the boys get dis-heartened before tournament time. And no HV Warrior, there's no dissention among the ranger crowd. The team will still give the coaches and each other 100% and still come out to win the games. All they want is just a "good job" now and then.

I'm not saying praise them when it's not needed, but If they do play well tell them. You might be surprised what a "good job" might mean to them.

ohhhhhh, looks like we have an unhappy parent :blink: Well Coaching is not an easy task, and theres not a man alive that can keep everyone happy, players,parents, everyone else all at the same time............ha...... IMPOSSIBLE !!!!

Nope, I don't agree with everything Donald does, but, I'm not a coach , I don't understand his reasoning sometimes, But, again, I'm not a coach and don't want to be.

No, I'm not an unhappy parent. I just listen to the kids when they come out of the dressing room after the game. My son is tough, he has to be or he wouldn't have stuck with it this long. I'm sure donald has his reasons for the way he coaches and I'm not second guessing him by any means but a pat on the back does go a long way. Some of the boys are losing heart and I'd hate to see that happen to a fantastic team. Their still a team and they'll play to win.