Students keeping the Clock

blackandgold

I don't think age has anything to do with it. I've also seen a lot more clock problems than usual this season. I believe that anyone running the clock should have to be certified by the TSSAA before they can do it. The TSSAA should hold some kind of certification classes during the summer for all sports so that these people know what they are doing. It would probably be a mammoth task the first year, but it shouldn't be that bad after the initial wave of certifications. Every school could be required to have a certain number of certified operators for each sport. If money is an issue, we can just allow all the teams to play "Clock Certification Training" games to raise money, just like we're doing now with the Hall of Fame. jk

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was this a varsity or JV game? A student should not be running the clock or keeping the official book during a varsity game. It puts that student in an unfair position. However, with the insane number of JV and freshman games that are scheduled by coaches, it is difficult to find adults to work all these games. I do not see the wrong in allowing students to work JV and freshman games.

I HAVE TO ADD MYSELF IN ON THIS POST AND MY OPINION AS WELL.

YOU HAVE NO REASON TO SPECULATE A STUDENT OR PERSON UNDER THE AGE OF 18 IS NOT CAPABLE OF KEEPING THE BOOK. OBVIOUSLY YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT THAT ENTITLES. THAT ISN'T A FAIR STATEMENT AT ALL. I JUST TURNED 18 AND HAVE BEEN KEEPING THE BOOK FOR OVER 6 YEARS NOW. I KNOW MORE ABOUT IT THAT MOST PEOPLE. IT'S AMAZING HOW YOU CAN SAY THAT COACHES SHOULDN'T LET A STUDENT DO THIS JOB. I HAVE TAUGHT PEOPLE HOW TO DO IT AND HAVE CORRECTED SEVERAL ERRORS THAT HAVE BEEN MADE BY THE OFFICIAL BOOK. MISTAKES ARE EASY TO MAKE, THAT IS WHY THERE ARE TWO BOOKS, BUT WHO'S TO SAY NEITHER OF THEM KNEW WHAT THEY ARE DOING? YOU REALLY NEED TO RETHINK YOUR COMMENT. I KNOW FOR A FACT THAT I DON'T APPRECIATE IT. JUST BECAUSE ONE PERSON IS LIKE THAT DOESN'T MEAN THAT YOU SHOULD BAN EVERYONE FROM DOING IT. SORRY...

~MRJ~

I believe there is a directive from the TSSAA ( that they won't enforce  ) stating that adults should be doing both clock and book at varsity games....

THERE IS NOT A DIRECTIVE THAT ANYONE KNOWS OF, OTHERWISE THE WEST TN OFFICAL DIRECTOR WOULD HAVE TOLD ME PERSONALLY, BECAUSE I ASKED HIM MYSELF. HE SAID NO THERE ISN'T AN AGE LIMIT OR A BYLAW THAT SAYS A STUDENT CAN NOT KEEP THE BOOK/ CLOCK. HE SAID AS LONG AS THEY ARE DEPENDABLE AND KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING.

CHECK YOUR REFERENCES AND LET ME KNOW, PLEASE.

~MRJ~