Bradley @ Soddy Thurs.

BattleBornVolunteer

Like I was saying, you guys know what I'm talking about. Rarely, if ever, does a coach or fan have anything to do with the ref changing his mind or admiting that he made a mistake. In fact, it is the ref's duty to avoid letting anyone besides other refs influence him. I'm not an expert on the rules or anything like that, but we can only discuss them. I asked before if Mara runs some of the clinics. Does he? Just wondering. Anyway, I'll bow out of this one, because I have to plead ignorance when it comes to refing. I was just trying to bring a little civility to the thread. Walkenvol, I expect to see some results posted promptly after the match. Us Westerners are counting on you. :D

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No bait to take, IF you referred to it , you must feel it occured. Maybe your thinking twice about criticising a particular coach's actions if thats what you mean by bait. Otherwise you are refering to Gable and that would be blasphemy.lol Not trying to start anything, it just seemed like you saw that happen and felt there should have been a call in your opinion. If not, it was just a question. Besides I hate water cause i cant swim.

Sometimes officials do change their calls.  In a recent tournament an official disqualified a wrestler for throwing a punch.  After further review, he determined that it was merely a legal cross face, and the ref had the guts to reverse his call.  I respect him for that.

Most of the officiating is very good, some of it is awful.  One reason to bring it up on a message board is to exert a little peer pressure (the peers being those of us in Tennessee that love the sport), and encourage them to attend the Statewide referees’ clinic and to get back in the rule book (and examples in the back of the pamphlet).

I agree fully with this. Parker is helping RC by observing officials all over the state and many of the specific concerns mentioned in this thread have already been noted, evaluated and filed for each official. I'm amazed at Elsie and how consistent he has remained - all these years and I hope others can humble themselves and learn from him.

I respect a ref, after a quick moments review in his mind, that makes a call with authority. I also respect an official that walks over to the score table, converses with both coaches or a second official, if available, AND REVERSES HIS DECISION after further review. Any good HUMAN BEING will appreciate that.

I'm not so sure we're seeing that from a ref mentioned in this thread and that called my matches some 30 years ago, and I'm not talking about Elsie, Hodges, Farr (if he's still around and doing this), Craft, or Faircloth. Sometimes being flexible is the key and another thing with the official that called the BC/SD match, you don't award points to the wrestler only because he did the move "textbook perfect." These are HS wrestlers not College or Int'l talent.

Be consistent is key, but fair and patient with this young talent. Let's face it 30 years of this can create less patience.

The key here is that the best team did win and not by a bad call, but next year you guys may want to avoid having the same ref as things may be much more close and controversial.

soms

Edited by Sommers

You missed my point. There were fast whistles and slow ones and apparently one side of the mat was a lot wider than the other, 'cause they had to be way over the line on that side to be called out. Also there were points awarded for takedowns ending out of bounds, but not every time. And I was wrong when I said it was inconsistant call, it was consistantly bad, both ways. The only consolation was that it didn't affect the outcome of the match.

Also, why is it every time anyone questions a call, somebody climbs on the soapbox with the old - If you've never wrestled, you're not allowed to voice your opinion about a call. It's just a cop out. If the calls are never reversed or changed, critisism is the only tool we have to improve the situation.

Everyone that follows the sport doesn't ref, but to say you didn't see any questionable calls at the Soddy match, you need your glasses checked!

critisism is the only tool we have to improve the situation.

Very good point and that's essentially why I've been determined to point out a concern or two.

I appreicate all of our refs for working so hard to be good at what they do and in some situations learn from a mistake or two and move on.

soms

I was there. There were two "quick whistle pins"..one for each side. However, I fully believe that Mara (I think thats how he spells it) has the best view. He was 2 feet away and I was probably 32 feet away. Tell me now, who had the best view? You people are nuts if you think the ref was bad. BTW, I am a SD fan and it would have had no difference in the outcome of any match.

Alwaysfaithful is right.....we are too far away to see things to diss a ref. Also, I did not see the "wide side of the mat". The only thing I saw was the Fuller/Cordell match at the end. I dont think any one noticed that the clock may have expired before the 2 seconds count. It was really loud at that point and when I looked up, it was already at 0. But, it was so close, you cant say it was right or wrong either way. Walkenvol, I saw where Spencer bumped up and won. Glad you guys beat Baylor. You know when you beat them you have done well. I hope Spencer gets a chance to wrestle the next 4 years. I have kept up with him and the others that my son used to battle. He is a great kid and I know you are proud.