Most Annoying PA announcer

rvd

I suspected that he was the announcer, and he was also trying to keep the official scorebook I believe.

If that's the case, he's as sorry an official score keeper as he is an announcer.

Question - Tell me how Carter gets 6 timeouts in the HOF game with Rutledge?

Answer - Hornet botches the book and gives Rutledge one of Carter's timeouts.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest owlman04

i dont see anything wrong with chopper and the way he calls the games... i should know cause i have been to every game and it would be gay if he just sounded normal...keep up the the 3-point field goal, and the traaaaaaaaaaaaveling, GOOD JOB

I put it like this, I don't have a fight in this race but announcer is a announcer. In my opinion, its not classless by the way an annoncer calls out the 5th personal foul. No one is perfect and no one wants to be a like another announcer-Ya mean? IF that's his way of saying that, then let him be. Sometimes an announcer does have to get the crowd into the game.

I did the PA announcing for my high school while I was in high school, and always tried to keep things at a professional level as much as possible. You should expect an announcer to put a fair amount of emphasis when announcing the home team's starting lineups and baskets. But you DO NOT belittle the other team's starters or baskets and you generally call all fouls for both teams in the same tone of voice.

Announcers for NBA teams, that's a different story. Those aren't 16-17 year old kids out there, and they can get away with a lot more than a high school or college announcer. The guy for the Grizzlies, when the other team scores, he announces it in a barely audible voice, and he goes nuts when the Grizzlies score.

As for Mike Hammond, he is not that bad. I think I could do a better job, personally, but it's REALLY bad when he's not there. At the Kentucky game the other night, Haywood Harris took about 10 minutes to get through the starting lineups b/c after they turned off the lights he couldn't see. Not to mention that he puts little, if any, emphasis on anything. But at least Mike doesn't usually screw up. He's not exciting by any means, but he keeps it professional and he gets the names right. At least he's not like Bobby Denton. (Anyone remember: "Head coach of the Florida Gators, Ron Zuke"). When we played Fresno State this year and they had all those Hawaiian players with mile-long names, I thought he'd never make it through their lineup.

Time-outs or no Time-outs. Remember your next Visit I will have you a box of tissues.

And I'll bring the rule book, a set of hearing aids and a pair of glasses for you.

The tissues will come in handy when I blow my nose...seems like Straw Plains affects my allergies a little...kinda...I dunno...IRRITATING!! :D

After this thread started, I went and did some research. The way I understand the rule. The scoreboard AND the scoreBOOK keeper ar the only personnel at the scorers table that are "officials of the game". They, and only they have to be impartial. The announcer almost MUST be a little more excited (verbally) for the home team. Go to any big college or NBA and it's the same way. In Minnesota, where we just moved from, the scoreboard and scorebook keeper both are required to wear referee shirts to identify themselves as "officials of the game"

Just thought you guys (oops) "ya'll" would find that interesting