Stalling - How subjective is it?

Aspen

Watched a match last night in which two wrestlers were starting in neutral position with .1 (one tenth) of a second left on the clock. Both wrestlers had previously been warned for stalling. Whistle blows, one wrestler dives for takedown, other wrestler steps back to avoid takedown. Whistle ends match, stalling point charged against wrestler stepping backward.

How is this possible? Is stepping back to avoid takedown stalling? Can stalling occur within one-tenth of a second?

Proper Call or bad call? Where can you find rules for stalling calls?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aspen-----------stalling was the subject of a previous topic----"Philosohpy on stalling"---------that had numerous posts, the last of which was on 12-31-03. Maybe your answer lies in one of those posts. If not, then maybe reftn will wade in with a response. He voiced his opinion with several posts under the previous topic.

Watched a match last night in which two wrestlers were starting in neutral position  with .1 (one tenth) of a second left on the clock.  Both wrestlers had previously been warned for stalling. Whistle blows, one wrestler dives for takedown, other wrestler steps back to avoid takedown. Whistle ends match, stalling point charged against wrestler stepping backward.

How is this possible? Is stepping back to avoid takedown stalling?  Can stalling occur within one-tenth of a second? 

Proper Call or bad call?  Where can you find rules for stalling calls?

if your were talking about at district 11 duals i was there i missed the call but i heard about it when i got back and i definately think it was a load of crap

stalling means not forwarding your position/working for the pin, by jumping back, he wuz getting the other wrestler off balance, and therefore forwarrding his postition, i think that if you take a wrester down, and let him back up, that is stalling, you are not working for a pin, you are trying to humiliate the other wreslter, so this technique should be considered stalling or unsportsmanlike conduct, and my question is how can a bottom man be called for stalling, if the can not get his base up because the other wrestler is on his hips, that i dont understand...

The rules are fairly clear and I would hate to be the official, because that is where the subjective part comes in. Worse call I ever saw was about 30 years ago in a tied match. Wrestler "A" shoots a deep double leg tackle on Wrestler "B" with 4 seconds to go and knocks down "B". The whole gym thinks Wrestler "A" has won the match including "B" and his coach. The official calmly walks to table talks, makes a call and awards the match to "B". Stalling he lets everyone know Because "A" looked at the clock as he shot though "B" was flat footed and stepping sideways. Never seen as bad as call since. Every one felt bad for both kids.

However wrestler "b" tried to pull Wrestler "A" up on the 1st spot of the awards stand and give him the 1st place medal. A subjective (BAD) call led to a priceless moment in wrestling