"The Pit"

takedown42

I have attended many Father Ryan vs MBA matches since I moved South to Nashville. I have grown familiar to the phrase "The Pit". The last time Ryan hosted MBA it was billed as the "Match in the Pit". It didn't resemble the pit to me. All I remember was that the Ryan section of bleachers were pulled up to the edge of the mat so that the students feet were actually on the mat. The MBA section was 20 feet from the edge of the mat. I have seen Ryan move bleachers around at one end of the gym and make an actual enclosed area that was what I would call a pit. Can any Ryan fan or Irishdad comment on "The Pit". I do look forward to watching the match on Thursday night. It is one of most exciting and hard fought athletic contest I have seen down here.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You are right, and this how we set up the pit. We take the bleachers, split them and turn them to where they face one another. This puts you mere feet away from the action it also closes in the crowd. Making the noise level rise. No one has a bad view. At a past match Mr and Mrs Simpson sat in the middle of the mat at the far end. Thus they were not favoring either son or grandsons. It is gonna be a war!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe its because of the odor from all the Ryan fans sitting so close together. Its smells like a pit, or you can smell their pits, or the place looks like the pits, whichever you want.

Maybe they eat peaches and spit out the pit.

What if the floor opens and the wrestlers fall in a pit.

I dont want to ca-pit-ulate.

So close they can s-pit on the mat.

I must be bored.

-The holder...stove

Call the new gym what you want, but the real "Pit" was the old Ryan gym down on Elliston Place. None of the new gyms can match the "atmosphere" you got when that place was packed for a wrestling match. Most exciting match I have ever been to was Notre Dame at Ryan back in the late 60's in the Pit-----Notre Dame had won the state the previous year and was ranked No.1 and Ryan was ranked No.2. Mid-state Catholics v. east-state Catholics packed in together like sardines on a Sunday afternoon in January after church. The place was wild------fights in the stands being broken up by priests. Came down to the last match with ND needing a pin to win. Last match was ND's state heavyweight champ, Pez Whatley, against Ryan's hwt. Whatley did everything he could to pin the Ryan kid, winning easily on points, but the Ryan kid somehow managed to keep off his back and Ryan won the match. Ryan fans went crazy. If Ryan wanted a true "Pit", they should have recreated that little band-box gym at their new facility for wrestling matches.

the last time Ryan wrestled MBA at Ryan the two teams were as even as they could possibly be. MBA probably had the upper hand,but that was not the out come.when these two teams wrestle you know it is going to be a brawl. no matter who has the most talented team this match is all about pride, heart and who wants to win more its that simple. the Ryan MBA rivalry is as big as any in the state and i think it really shows in our sport. this kind match brings a new emotion to the table for the wrestlers. it shows the real beauty of our sport, this match is nothing more than a war.

the pit is still there it is just bigger for this match for good reason. it will be standing room only

getr done irish!!!

nothing is this world is ever deserved

It is always earned!!!

Maybe its because of the odor from all the Ryan fans sitting so close together. Its smells like a pit, or you can smell their pits, or the place looks like the pits, whichever you want.

Maybe they eat peaches and spit out the pit.

What if the floor opens and the wrestlers fall in a pit.

I dont want to ca-pit-ulate.

So close they can s-pit on the mat.

I must be bored.

-The holder...stove

You are the weakest Individual I have ever seen....and you guys call me obnoxious. No humor found in assaulting our fans ..pathetic. Your post really does show your true colors...YELLOW

It is not the original pit. But it is still the best dual meet environment in the state of Tennessee. It is one to see. If you have a young wrestler, bring him. If you have a girlfriend, bring her. If you know someone who does not know the sport, bring him/her. It will be a match that will make you love the sport.

Derby can we expect to see you there?

Call the new gym what you want, but the real "Pit" was the old Ryan gym down on Elliston Place. None of the new gyms can match the "atmosphere" you got when that place was packed for a wrestling match. Most exciting match I have ever been to was Notre Dame at Ryan back in the late 60's in the Pit-----Notre Dame had won the state the previous year and was ranked No.1 and Ryan was ranked No.2. Mid-state Catholics v. east-state Catholics packed in together like sardines on a Sunday afternoon in January after church. The place was wild------fights in the stands being broken up by priests. Came down to the last match with ND needing a pin to win. Last match was ND's state heavyweight champ, Pez Whatley, against Ryan's hwt. Whatley did everything he could to pin the Ryan kid, winning easily on points, but the Ryan kid somehow managed to keep off his back and Ryan won the match. Ryan fans went crazy. If Ryan wanted a true "Pit", they should have recreated that little band-box gym at their new facility for wrestling matches.

When I wrestled in the Ryan Tournament in the 70's, it was as intimidating as you could make it for visitors. Getting down to the mats to wrestle was like making the trek down off the Grand Tetons. Heck, there were spectators and even wrestlers tripping down those steep steps. Oh, and the lighting and the wrestlers in Darth Vador robes* combined to made it an atmosphere you'll never forget.

What a tradition!!

soms

*Did FR start the robes or did Overton, I wonder?