2 OT - Sudden Victory

stovepipe

One area of hot debate is the way we wrestle double overtime, now known as sudden victory. What do you guys think. Should it change? What is wrong with it and how can we fix it.

The college system of 2 OT is currently rediculous. I think college wrestling has taken the idea of "what is good for the fans" and run too far with it, so much as to forget "what is good for the wrestler".

Discuss.

-The holder....stove

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

SP,

Good idea for discussion. I like the current system. If the match ends in a tie, one minute on your feet can lead to an exciting finish if both men work hard for the TD. Puts a premium on good work from neutral and I think coaches respond to that. The sudden victory part works also. I could be happy with a coin toss, rather than first points, being the deciding factor for choice in the 30 sec. 2nd OT.

I like how in college choice in 2OT goes to the first person who scores "action points" a takedown, reversal, or nearfall. Not an ecsape. The new college rule is fair that both men get a chance on bottom. A flip of the coin almost always results in the bottom man ecasping quickly. Which is not so fair to the man who lost the flip.

But would you not agree that the college system, wherein the wrestlers could have 1,2,3,4,5,even 6 or more, sudden victory periods is a little much. By that time the guys are so tired the wrestling is pitiful and could lead to more injuries.

The coin flip is too all or nothing. It needs to stay gone.

I like choice being given to the first who scores "action points" and then he decides, you wrestle 1 double OT and thats it.

In high school, a coin toss determines who gets choice in the second period. (When captains choose odd or even). So if a first period ends 0-0, it was the luck of the coin toss that gave one of the wrestlers choice. He takes down and gets an escape, thus the first "action points." I don't see how that is much different from a coin toss for choice in the 30 sec 2nd OT.

I liked overtime the way it was when i wrestled. An extra 3 periods of 1 minute. It gave the wrestler in better condition an edge. I was 23-0 in overtime in high school and college. I also like the way it is ran in college now. I do not think the winning wrestler should win by the luck of the flip. It is not fair to either wrestler.

This topic has come up before. Here is my two cents worth.

My feeling is that the current system of giving choice to the first point scorer is flawed. The match is tied after six minutes. Why is it that the first points are more important than the last points? Some wrestlers are great on their feet, but really stink on the mat. Wrestling invloves the ability to execute from all three positions, top, bottom and neutral. The curent system with choice to the first scorer could be eliminated by giving each wrestler an opportunity from the bottom. Give each wrestler a chance from the bottom in double overtime. If wrestler A escapes in 24 seconds, put 24 seconds on the clock for wrestler B. If he escapes before the buzzer, he wins. If not he loses. If wrestler A scores a reversal in 24 seconds, wrestler B must score a reversal in less than 24 seconds. If wrestler A scores a reversal with back points, wrestler B must match the score. If either wrestler scores a fall, the match is ended.