UT Indoor

CherokeeChief

Chief,

If these kids are there:

I would look for Ashton Bishop, 2004 800 Meters AAU National Champion, will contend in the 800M, High Jump, and Pentathlon. I'd also look for the Bowers girls out of Jonesborough to do well in middle distances.

Youth boys, long jump and sprints, Adrian Hill out of Johnson City (Science Hill's coach's boy) and Seth Watterson out of Kingsport. Both are Junior Olympians.

SatchUmp

Chief,

This will be my first time attending the AAU Indoors. What kind of turnout do they have compared to outdoor meets?

Ashton ran a 2:17.25 to claim gold in the AAU Championships last year, so all NE TN and SW VA should be pulling for her to do well in Knoxville. Great kid too from a great family. I hope college scouts are there taking notes.

Is the a place on the internet to locate last years times and distances? I haven't been able to find any.

Thanks!

Edited by SatchUmp

Which UT indoor meet are we talking about. The Vol Classic is Feb 14th and the AAU meet is the 28th. I would look for Lamar Thompson from Bradley to do very well at both long jump and triple jump. He finished fifth at the Virginia Tech invitational in long jump and 18th in triple jump. Shon Lowe was 18th in 55 meter hurdles after his heat had four false starts, otherwise he might have done better. This was a big event with up to 300 competitiors in some events. I've seen Ashton in years past at AAU meets and she is incredible. I wish her the best of luck. Not only is she good at track, but she is just a great all-around young lady.

I thought you were. And that's what I was referring to when talking about Lamar and Shon. I think we may have people at both events since Coach Cotton has a good AAU program in the summer and then again after cross-country. Interesting side note, I got to see a great race in the girls 500 meters at VTU. Two girls broke the NATIONAL Record with the winner passing the 2nd place girl at the finish after number 2 had led the entire race. The girl that won was just a freshman. It was a banked track and that was a problem for a lot of kids. I've never seen so many kids fall off the track in all my life. I guess we'll see you guys on the 14th.

The girls especially don't like it. For Bradley, it is the same day as the Valentine's dance. It was the same story last year. We left early, but this year we will stick it out through Liz's events. Then we'll rush back, so that hopefully she can make at least part of the dance. I really wish the meet would get away from that weekend, but then it would conflict with the wrestling tournaments and that wouldn't make her happy either. Ah, life is full of tough choices!

• 2 weeks later...