east ridge team?

mackidz

What the heck has happened to East Ridge Wrestling?? They don't even have a full team?? They used to be the power house of all. It's hard to believe they can't get enough kids to come out. ?? Anyone know?? Maybe they could hire Chris Bird to come and help..

Years ago East Ridge was loaded with many middle class families that gave their wrestlers tremendous support. I have heard that many blue collar workers also moved into the area from up north where wrestling has a larger following which added much of the tradition of wrestling in the Chattanooga area.

I believe this tradition also developed in the Red Bank area then to Hixson and Tyner. McCallie had to compete with the Luke Worshams and the Irish of ND as well. They surpassed everyone at times with Bringing Gordon down from MTSU and Baylor followed by bringing over Jim Morgan. Al Miller had a great thing going on in Cleveland. He also helped to grow the sport by having the first JV tournament in the state and the popularity of the sport continued in Bradley county with one of Jim's fruits in Turner Jackson.

That's all I know, except East Ridge following and support sort of moved out to the "burbs."

I wonder if this outward migration hasn't happened to Hixson and Red Bank as well? I wonder if Tyner even has wrestling anylonger?

soms

Sommers

I can't answer for this year but the last two years they had a team. Not a lot in numbers. Two years ago they showed up at region duals with three. They had some sick , taking SAT, on school trip or something can't remember the reason. TSSAA shows a schedule for Tyner.

Yes, quite frankly, I was impressed with what has been done the last couple of years in ER. It reminded me of the days when Goss and Parker had much more to work with.

A great coach can create overachievers without the family support and tradition that usually is mandatory to be dominate.

I believe Roger Vandergriff is another that has does much in recent years with what he has as well. '03-'04 has also been tough for Hixson, I understand.

My hat's off to ER and Hixson.

soms

Edited by Sommers