DII Dual Brackets

PinU46

Well, now that the West had completed its region dual competition, let the predictions about the likely brackets begin.

I will get things started. After perusing the TSSAA web site and reviewing DII brackets since 2000, I noticed a trend regarding the placement of the region champion from the West. During the last four years, the placement of the region champion from the West (always CBHS) has alternated between being in the same pool or bracket with the champion from the Middle and the champion from the East. Check it out for yourselves. In 2000, CBHS was in the pool with Ryan (Middle Champ); in 2001, CBHS was in the pool with Baylor (East Champ); in 2002, CBHS was in the pool with MBA (Middle Champ); and in 2003, CBHS was in the same bracket as McCallie (East Champ). Never, in the past four years, has the champion from the East been in the same pool or bracket as the champion from the Middle. Interesting. Why is it that the champion from the West has NEVER been the sole champion in a pool or bracket? Apparently, the so-called "blind draw" is conducted with one eye open.

So, using the recent trend identified above, I predict that the CBHS (West Champ) will be alternated into the same bracket as Ryan (Middle Champ) and the 2004 DII Dual bracket will look like this:

McC (East Champ)

vs.

MUS (West Runner-up)

ND (East Third)

vs.

MBA (Middle Runner-up)

Ryan (Middle Champ)

vs.

Bay (East Runner-up)

BA (Middle Third)

vs.

CBHS (West Champ)

I know, I know. How can the powers that be allow Ryan and Baylor to meet in the opening match?! If the alternating continues, they have no choice because teams have to be separated from their region counterparts; especially champs and runner-ups.

Well, what do ya'll think. Let the predicting begin.

Coach Lewis,

If you feel that the TSSAA is less than honest (one eye open/up blind draw) you need to have that conversation with Ronnie Carter. If someone had a problem with the CBHS Wrestling Program I think that you would want them to confront you and not spread the word via some message board.

I did not open the discussion or thread, I am not upset about the situation. I am just glad we qualified. I have no quarrel or argument with that (in the dual format). It is the best for the sport to have the best 2 teams in the finals.

All I said was that was the two options that are allowed....Sorry I gave the wrong impression.

Well, I just looked in the TSSAA handbook (online) and nowhere does it state anything about a blind draw for D2 State Duals. (see below)

2003-04 TSSAA Handbook

Page 4 July 1, 2003

VI. DUAL MEET REGIONAL AND STATE TOURNAMENTS

A. In Division I, each region shall determine a champion by any method the region selects. This shall be determined by the last Saturday in January.

B. In Division II, the East and Middle Regions shall determine their first-, second-, and third-place teams by any method the regions select. The West Region shall determine its first- and second-place teams by any method the region selects. This shall be determined by the last Saturday in January.

C. The Division I winners from each region shall meet on the Friday and Saturday of the first Saturday in February to determine the state dual meet champion. The draw for the tournaments will be released following completion of all region tournaments.

D. In Division II, the winner, runner-up, and third-place team from the East and Middle Region and the winner and runner-up from the West Region shall meet on the Friday and Saturday of the first Saturday in February to determine the state dual meet champion.

E. No school will be allowed to schedule a wrestling meet or tournament on the dates of the state dual meet championships.

I did not open the discussion or thread, I am not upset about the situation. I am just glad we qualified. I have no quarrel or argument with that (in the dual format). It is the best for the sport to have the best 2 teams in the finals.

All I said was that was the two options that are allowed....Sorry I gave the wrong impression.

Well, I just looked in the TSSAA handbook (online) and nowhere does it state anything about a blind draw for D2 State Duals. (see below)

2003-04 TSSAA Handbook

Page 4 July 1, 2003

VI. DUAL MEET REGIONAL AND STATE TOURNAMENTS

A. In Division I, each region shall determine a champion by any method the region selects. This shall be determined by the last Saturday in January.

B. In Division II, the East and Middle Regions shall determine their first-, second-, and third-place teams by any method the regions select. The West Region shall determine its first- and second-place teams by any method the region selects. This shall be determined by the last Saturday in January.

C. The Division I winners from each region shall meet on the Friday and Saturday of the first Saturday in February to determine the state dual meet champion. The draw for the tournaments will be released following completion of all region tournaments.

D. In Division II, the winner, runner-up, and third-place team from the East and Middle Region and the winner and runner-up from the West Region shall meet on the Friday and Saturday of the first Saturday in February to determine the state dual meet champion.

E. No school will be allowed to schedule a wrestling meet or tournament on the dates of the state dual meet championships.

You're all over it coach!! You're always a fair, reasonable, and knowledgeable competitor.

soms

.... the 2004 DII Dual bracket will look like this:

McC (East Champ)

vs.

MUS (West Runner-up)

ND (East Third)

vs.

MBA (Middle Runner-up)

Ryan (Middle Champ)

vs.

Bay (East Runner-up)

BA (Middle Third)

vs.

CBHS (West Champ)

PinU46 provided us with "Option A" (quoted), but I prefer "Option B" (below) because there is no way in the world that the TSSAA will allow Baylor and Ryan to meet in the first round!

McC (East Champ)

vs.

MBA (Middle Runner-up)

ND (East Third)

vs.

CBHS (West Champ)

Ryan (Middle Champ)

vs.

MUS (West Runner-up)

BA (Middle Third)

vs.

Baylor (East Runner-up)

The brackets are posted on the TSSAA website. As predicted, DII brackets are as follows:

McCallie

vs.

MUS

ND

vs.

MBA

CBHS

vs.

BA

Baylor

vs.

Ryan

Now for the fun part, I predict the following results:

Round #1:

McCallie defeats MUS

MBA defeats ND

CBHS defeats BA

Ryan defeats Baylor

Round #2:

McCallie defeats MBA

Ryan defeats CBHS

Championship Finals:

Ryan defeats McCallie

Consolation Finals:

Baylor defeats CBHS

What do you all thinks?

PinU46, you were right. I still cannot believe that Baylor and Ryan meeting in an opening match!

Well, here are my predictions...

Round #1:

McCallie defeats MUS

ND defeats MBA

CBHS defeats BA

Baylor defeats Ryan

Round #2:

McCallie defeats ND

Baylor defeats CBHS

Consolation Finals:

Ryan defeats CBHS

Champioship Finals:

McCallie defeats Baylor

Edited by Bluewhirlygig

PinU46, you were right.  I still cannot believe that Baylor and Ryan meeting in an opening match!

Well, here are my predictions...

Round #1:

McCallie defeats MUS

ND defeats MBA

CBHS defeats BA

Baylor defeats Ryan

Round #2:

McCallie defeats ND

Baylor defeats CBHS

Championship Finals:

Ryan defeats CBHS

Consolation Finals:

McCallie defeats Baylor

I can see this except I really can't see ND advancing past MBA, I hope John can pull it off actually, but I see another FR/MBA faceoff in the consolation finals. I'm not sure CBHS will get past MBA either, but with papabear3, you never know.

soms

Edited by Sommers