DII duals predictions

best_of_the_west

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I repeat from an earlier thread....D2 is NOT a blind draw, nor is it touted as a blind draw. This is directly from the TSSAA Handbook....

2003-04 TSSAA Handbook

Page 4 July 1, 2003

VI. DUAL MEET REGIONAL AND STATE TOURNAMENTS

A. In Division I, each region shall determine a champion by any method the region selects. This shall be determined by the last Saturday in January.

B. In Division II, the East and Middle Regions shall determine their first-, second-, and third-place teams by any method the regions select. The West Region shall determine its first- and second-place teams by any method the region selects. This shall be determined by the last Saturday in January.

C. The Division I winners from each region shall meet on the Friday and Saturday of the first Saturday in February to determine the state dual meet champion. The draw for the tournaments will be released following completion of all region tournaments.

(it specifically mentions a draw)

D. In Division II, the winner, runner-up, and third-place team from the East and Middle Region and the winner and runner-up from the West Region shall meet on the Friday and Saturday of the first Saturday in February to determine the state dual meet champion.

(no mention of a draw)

E. No school will be allowed to schedule a wrestling meet or tournament on the dates of the state dual meet championships.

Nadar... I am a supporter of McCallie as well, but still... I don't think you should be going around saying that we will dominate! Yeah we are good, but you never know what can happen... I just don't want you to have to swallow your words... alright... I think this weekend will be a bunch of great match ups and we will just see what happens there!

Anais- you know... I have seen what you have been saying all over this message board, and I think it is pretty safe to say that you are a Baylor fan. Now... I think we should just let this go. I've seen you bash the McCallie coach, and his wrestling program... why don't you let him run it the way he wants to, and you can run your Baylor team however. No need for ridicule. By the way, Moore is a first year wrestler... I would have to say that he's doing pretty well!

Nadar... I am a supporter of McCallie as well, but still... I don't think you should be going around saying that we will dominate! Yeah we are good, but you never know what can happen... I just don't want you to have to swallow your words... alright... I think this weekend will be a bunch of great match ups and we will just see what happens there!

McCallie may take the tournament, but Baylor will take the dual championship this week. Jim will make sure they redeem themselves from that big mistake from a week or so ago. It's like a chess match.

soms

Som-

What will be the head to head results? What line ups did Baylor and McCallie use when you saw them wrestle this year.

I've seen so many variations (especially from Gordon) that I cannot give you an intelligent answer.

General answer: I just believe Jim has the consistent horses "top to bottom" to take the blue in another dual match this time around. The difference? Jim will be more prepared to adjust as necessary and his wrestlers will clearly have their assignments based on these adjustments. Again, it's a chess match.

I'm having second thoughts on the tournament, however. I'm beginning to wonder if the Irish won't take that one? I'm talking Ryan. Also, could Baylor pull it out in the consolations? I think McCallie is the front runner. Gordon is allowing the varsity to peak right now, which is good strategy.

We'll see Dec. 21st. This is exciting!!

soms

Soms - I think that your theory lacks merit.

Results of the earlier dual meet:

189--Derek Walker (B) defeated Flynt Rudolph (M), 9-1. Baylor leads, 4-0.

215--Nick Moore (M) pinned Houston Holt (B), 1:37. McCallie leads, 6-4.

275--Brandon Hufstetler (B) defeated Charles Green (M), 4-3. ' Baylor leads, 7-6.

103--Reed Doster (B) won by forfeit. Baylor leads, 13-6.

112--Corey Manson (B) pinned Josh Wheeler (B) in 5:42. Baylor leads, 19-6.

119--Will Young (M) defeated Jake Geismar (B), 7-4. Baylor leads, 19-9.

125--Joe Young (M) pinned Jay Carson (B) in 4:38. Baylor leads, 19-15.

130--Cody Cleveland (M) pinned Will Murray (B), 5:56. McCallie leads, 21-19.

135--T. Manson (B)) defeated Zach Goss (M), 14-4. Baylor leads, 23-21.

140--Jordan Leen (B) defeated Justin Blair (M), 6-2. Baylor leads, 26-21.

145--Ryan Scott (M) defeated Chris Doster (B), 13-4.' Baylor leads, 26-25.

152--Andrew Smith (M) defeated Timothy Moore (B), 8-5. McCallie leads, 28-26.

160--Spencer Manley (M) pinned Philip Spitalny, 2:41. McCallie leads, 34-26.

171--Bobby Huffaker (M) defeated Doug Vaughan (B), 6-2. McCallie wins, 37-26.

My contention is that if either team gained an advantage via lineup changes, it was Baylor. I predict that you will point to the Moore/Green swap as McCallie's benefit. Although Huff pinned Moore at the GIT, IMHO Moore will win their next match straight up. Moore had just returned from 3 weeks in Hawaii and was not at his best. From the matches I've seen, Green would be favored over Holt.

From 130 to 160 McC gained a 12 point advantage where Bay adjusted their lineup. What if they wrestled straight up?

130--Cody Cleveland (M) defeated T. Manson (B).

135--Jordan Leen (B) pinned Zach Goss (M) .

140--Andrew Smith (M) defeated Dan Waddell (B) .

145--Justin Blair (M) defeated Chris Doster (B) .

152--Spencer Manley (M) pinned Timothy Moore (B) .

160--Ryan Scott (M) pinned Philip Spitalny (B) .

In this senario McC gains a 15 point advantage, possibly more if Cleveland and Blair score bonus points like in earlier matches and Goss avoids the pin.

Remember, McC won by 11 so Bay will have to turn at least 2 losses into wins plus maintain all their prior points to change the outcome. McC can win this dual with only 6 ind winners and will win the dual if it goes 7 to 7. Bay must win at least 8 to 6 and possibly 9 to 5 to win the dual. My challenge to you is to provide some logic as to how that will happen.

Also, I bet FR plans on having a say in the outcome.

Edited by walkenvol

Walkenvol has a point. Not only did McCallie have a convincing victory over Baylor, but indicating that there will be a rematch is saying that Father Ryan won't beat Baylor in the first round. Be careful.

Baylor vs. Father Ryan

103-Doster (Bay) over Schoettle by fall 6-0

112-Dunning (FR) over Manson by dec. 6-3

119-Geismer (Bay) over DeMille by fall 12-3

125-Hiller (FR) over Carson by fall 12-9

130-Oddo (FR) over Murray by fall 12-15

135-Manson (Bay) over Mondelli by dec. 15-15

140-Leen (Bay) over Myers by m. dec. 19-15

145-Doster (Bay) over Morales by m. dec. 23-15

152-Moore (Bay) over Clarke by dec. 26-15

160-Mayo (FR) over Spitalny by dec. 26-18

171-Stark (FR) over Vaughn by fall 26-24

189-Walker (Bay) over Adams by dec. 29-24

215-Lomas (FR) over Holt by fall 29-30

275-Hufstetler (Bay) over Lawrence by fall 35-30, Baylor

This should be a good match. One upset could swing it. It's just a prediction, and I know that these teams haven't seen much of each other. What do y'all think?

Edited by best_of_the_west

I think that it is clear that McCallie is going to be in the championships but I think that the Father Ryan/Baylor match may be closer than most suspect. It should be interesting to see who comes out on top there. I also will hold to the fact that if a few key people step up for CBHS the Purple Wave may have more of a say in the finals than most think. One thing to remember there is that Justin Saint, CBHS 215, has been out with an injury but plans on being back for the duals. If Saint can compete then that makes CBHS a much stronger team but their light weights will have to come up big for them. The duals will be a good showing of some great wrestling, I only wish DI and DII were together so we could see all these great teams matchup and come out with a true state championship.