carmel questions still?

trojanbob

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cutiepie......we are adults, we are not naive, we know she went to Craigmont for basketball purposes only. It happens everywhere....
Really?

Did you guys hear or read anything?? Is someone saying something? Must be my imagination...for a second, I thought I smelled a "HATER". Guess not...

By the way, I heard Westview has a great band! Maybe they can get two All-Americans to transfer to Westview, swap basketball for band, and really grab the attention of all the "band scouts". What fun! (yeah right)

Yes, we are all adults here and we are not naive so let's just get it all out in the open. The TRUTH is if she was interested in band or debate no one on this forum would give a second thought to Jackson or Jones switching schools, but because it upsets some little apple carts to have these two All-Americans at one school the suspicions and gossip mill are still grinding out the same ole' lies.... Give it a rest already!!! Toya and Jess! Keep it up and ALL those yucky brown apples'll be on the floor!!! :angry: Love You Girls!

You're right!! No matter what happens, no one can take anything from these girls and they don't have to prove it to anyone but themselves because the parents and their fans (like me) already know what they are capable of and see not just the potential, but the elite level talent that they already have. They don't need the hype that some need...and Memphis doesn't necessarily need the gold balls either...that'll just be icing on the CAKe...plenty of girls have gone on to get the GOLD BALLS that sit in their coaches offices or in the school trophy case while they work at the town Kroger and talk about "way back then" and past accomplishments...we have girls EVERYWHERE getting what matters more...College diplomas...and they are playing D-1 basketball, not having to pay the get them either!!

Just add these two names (and several more in the future from our underrated city) to the list! The recruiters know where to go to find the players they need for their programs and it ain't in Martin, TN that's for dang sure!

You'll see where all the talent is when AAU begins if you haven't already.

Did you guys hear or read anything?? Is someone saying something? Must be my imagination...for a second, I thought I smelled a "HATER". Guess not...

I wouldn't get to cocky cutipie, the way the Memphis players move from school to school, year in and year out, she may not be there next year! ;)

Just add these two names (and several more in the future from our underrated city) to the list! The recruiters know where to go to find the players they need for their programs and it ain't in Martin, TN that's for dang sure

Did she just say "THE RECRUITERS"? :angry: Oh sorry thats right your from Memphis the "magnet" school capitol, its not really recruiting over there is it! :o

Edited by devilfanatic

I asked 2 questions and ya'll get all fired up. Memphis is like the rest of the state. If you have something good, over here, people in this area will want to be a part of it. Same happens at JC and Univ. of Shelbyville, Briarcrest. You can't fight it. TSSAA won't, can't, don't, and ain't gonna police it. Live with it. If you build a successful program, they will come. It may be easier to get it done someplaces than in others.

Going to Shelby State and working in Tunica is not the same thing as getting a college diploma...... :D

You must be talking about a different type of gold balls because outside of Briarcrest, there can't be that many sets in Memphis for girls basketball.

I didn't know you attend Shelby State (especially since it doesn't exist anymore) and work in Tunica. Boy, I envy you...I want your life! :P

Seriously, though, the girls that I am talking about have gone to Kansas, North Carolina, Indiana, Louisville, St. Johns, and Tennessee (just to name a few) not to mention the ones we have at Kentucky, Texas A & M and too many schools to name in addition to the signees from this year and last and the ones from next year and the year after.

I know it sounds kinda cocky, and I don't mean it to be that way,really, but we have people who constantly belittle this area for its basketball quality. If you listened to them (as most of you have and now believe), you would think that no one over here can play at all and that the level of basketball is just stagnant. The number of signees and AAU state titles in recent years proves the naysayers wrong. I won't ever say that we have been great in girls basketball and have been the best and produced the best high school teams annually, because that would be a flat out a lie. What the Shelbyville's and Jackson County's and Oak Ridge's have amassed and accomplished over the years is UNREAL to say the least, and that's a credit that has to be given to them. What those programs have done probably won't ever be duplicated again by any single program in the state.

You other people, however, have no room to talk, because your programs haven't done anything either! We are simply tired of people adding to the myth that there's no good basketball in West Tennessee and Memphis, a myth that several top college coaches have already verbally stated they ignore and it shows by the players that they sign. I will admit that the level of coaching is no way up to par with the coaching that girls receive in the stronger regions of the state and that just is what it is--there's no denying it. But, I would hope that people would wake up and be realistic as well and examine this for what it really shows...there is a buttload of talent in this area, period. The players aren't responsible for the lack of coaching, but they receive the brunt of the criticism for it.

Whether you admit it or not, your opinions won't change the obvious fact that the top players for next year will be coming from this area and will be the most highly recruited players in the class of 2005 from Tennessee. You might as well just get ready to deal with it.

Edited by caramelcutiepie

I know it sounds kinda cocky, and I don't mean it to be that way,really, but we have people who constantly belittle this area for its basketball quality. If you listened to them (as most of you have and now believe), you would think that no one over here can play at all and that the level of basketball is just stagnant. The number of signees and AAU state titles in recent years proves the naysayers wrong. I won't ever say that we have been great in girls basketball and have been the best and produced the best high school teams annually, because that would be a flat out a lie. What the Shelbyville's and Jackson County's and Oak Ridge's have amassed and accomplished over the years is UNREAL to say the least, and that's a credit that has to be given to them. What those programs have done probably won't ever be duplicated again by any single program in the state.

Carmel, you make some very valid points here in your posts, and i for one agree with you that the Memphis area has as many or more "talented" D-1 level girls in it than most of the state of Tn combined. There are alot of great individual players in the Memphis area and if you take a coach like Insell or Brown and give them that kind of talent, i'm not sure they would lose a game ever! Atleast not many, and i can guarantee that. Your statements don't sound cocky to me, not when your basing them on facts, and the fact is that the talent level in Memphis is alot higher than in any other major city in Tn let alone the surrounding small counties like ours! But in the end its coaching that will make the difference and that is why the Memphis area doesn't have many gold balls, not to say there aren't good coaches there because there obviously are, however there are some "great" coaching minds in other parts of the state that have been able to make their teams believe they are better than they are and 5 against 2 will always win. :P

Carmel, you make some very valid points here in your posts, and i for one agree with you that the Memphis area has as many or more "talented" D-1 level girls in it than most of the state of Tn combined. There are alot of great individual players in the Memphis area and if you take a coach like Insell or Brown and give them that kind of talent, i'm not sure they would lose a game ever! Atleast not many, and i can guarantee that. Your statements don't sound cocky to me, not when your basing them on facts, and the fact is that the talent level in Memphis is alot higher than in any other major city in Tn let alone the surrounding small counties like ours! But in the end its coaching that will make the difference and that is why the Memphis area doesn't have many gold balls, not to say there aren't good coaches there because there obviously are, however there are some "great" coaching minds in other parts of the state that have been able to make their teams believe they are better than they are and 5 against 2 will always win. :D

You're right on target, Devilfanatic. :D I think less and less of our coaches in this area focus on fundamentals like they should and quite a few if not most, actually lack having their own basketball philosophy that proves to be successful. I think that a lot of the coaches now, particularly in the city, don't try to create "basketball purists" and players who really know the game and believe in a system, whatever system that might be. Most depend on talent and I'm hoping that this is not so obvious when our teams from Memphis/West Tennessee advance to State. The coaches in our suburbs are better at this, but lack a full team of talent sometimes to be able to compete both locally and statewide.

There were only a few who I can name (and one who coached me as well) who benefitted from having an several super talented players combined with exceptional coaching ability and most were very successful. Robert Newman at Melrose is an example, but he hasn't had the overall team talent that he has had in past years (80s,90s). Hugh Freeze at Briarcrest is one, although the level of play in D-2 is not as comparable these days and Lesa Mears (former coach at Harding Academy) is another. She actually coached at a private school that played a MONSTER of a schedule (there was no D-2 back then and they actually played Christ the King in Ny while Holdsclaw was there) and very seldom lost, having talented players like Juana Brown (UNC) Tasha King (Kansas) and Nikki White (Kansas). She sent over a dozen players to top level D-1 college programs by herself. They were the first team in our area (I think) to be ranked by USA Today. Briarcrest was the second team to accomplish this. There are other coaches in the past who have been great, but I think now the level of commitment by the coaches to spend an immense amount of time is not as strong as in the past.

I don't know if we'll ever see this trend fade...maybe I should teach high school and coach myself...then, you'd see a change. (haha!) :D