SCIENCE HILL GIRLS BASKETBALL

bassman99

Okay so the coach (Brenda Evans) was quoted in the paper as saying "We cannot score" Duh!! Why is that coach? Why can't you score?

You might find the answer in asking other people since YOU can't figure it out.

You are running a crappy offensive play!!! Does anyone else that sits in the stands see this? I blame 3 of the last 4 losses on the COACHING!!!!

Stop telling the girls the guards lost the game. Duh!!!

You are going to lose two girls next year that you are counting on. Rumor has it that Whitney Fields is tired of being yelled at and losing and she's going to concentrate on track which is her specialty anyway. Stephanie Phelps, according to a reputable source is getting paperwork to register at University High or TriCities Christian.

You better take notes and re-evaluate your offense. Start playing to the strengths of your players. Teach them to set picks and screens and get free for some open looks at the basket. You need to quit putting the ball into the post every play down. You have virtually no post game so quit trying to go there. There is no shame in running 4 or 5 guards on an offense.... especially if you want a good defense.

I sure hope you wake up before you lose these two players and others probably.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not just scoring....its rebounding, defense, and all the other little things that need to happen to win. They don't box out! They don't play defense! THey don't play fundamental basketball. For the last 4 years they have relied on Alisha Deel and won games just on her offense (she is a great player). But now they don't have her to rely on and the others don't know how to step up. That's coaching!

why is it when something goes wrong it's always the coach's fault? try putting some blame on the players. do you go to practice every day? do you know what they are trying to teach them? just because players don't do it doesn't mean it's not being taught. again I don't go to practice so I don't know either. but it is not always the coach's fault when something goes wrong. it's probably a combination of both. players have a tendency not to listen to their coach when other people are telling them that their offense stinks. it gives them an excuse not to exicute and try to do things on their own.

coach farthering would probably make a good coach but if they were looking to make a change coach larry able from the valley would be a better one. but again, might be the coach's fault, might not.

I will agree with you Homer!!! Amazing isn't it!!??

Coach Farthing would make a great hire. Has always got the most from his girls.

Thank you for the compliments, as coaches we do not always hear positive comments. I am currently quite content in my present role and will continue to strive to help Elizabethton reach a state tournament. I would like to be a head coach someday, if not at Elizabethton, then maybe somewhere else if the opportunity should arise. However, I will not undermine another coach to do so. I have said before, Science Hill would finish 3rd and it looks like they will. They have an excellent JV team and a good looking future. I am not close enough to the situation to evaluate the coaching, so that situation can be evaluated by the Science Hill athletic department. I have no dog in this fight.

I don't think they will finish 3rd. They just lost to South and then to Boone. Right now they are sitting in 4th. I don't see how they can do very much next year, not if they lost Stephanie and Whitney. They'll be rebuilding again next year. Its just strange that some coaches have winning seasons year after year...rebuilding or not...and some never have winning seasons even with all the talent in the world. I'm not saying she is a bad coach. Just that she is not getting the most from her players.

why is it when something goes wrong it's always the coach's fault? try putting some blame on the players. do you go to practice every day? do you know what they are trying to teach them? just because players don't do it doesn't mean it's not being taught. again I don't go to practice so I don't know either. but it is not always the coach's fault when something goes wrong. it's probably a combination of both. players have a tendency not to listen to their coach when other people are telling them that their offense stinks. it gives them an excuse not to exicute and try to do things on their own.

coach farthering would probably make a good coach but if they were looking to make a change coach larry able from the valley would be a better one. but again, might be the coach's fault, might not.

What about Rik Anderson??? He is a proven winner and Cloudland won with him gone. Now, it's Birchfield's team!

coach able would be a wise choice if it came available. he has done a great job leading the jv of the lady warriors for a few years and been a great assistant coach.

"What about Rik Anderson??? He is a proven winner and Cloudland won with him gone. Now, it's Birchfield's team!" if anderson is a proven winner then they wouldn't have won after he left. and compaing high school basketball to aau basketball is totally wrong. not the same thing. no where close. maybe it is the coaching. again not there everyday to see but I am saying don't always point the finger at the coaching for all that is going wrong. it is very rare that players that transfer become "players" because of the change of school. most are the same just a different uniform. most girls teams in this area do have a hard time scoring. hv, no exception. most kids are not taught proper in their early years and by the time they get to high school they have developed bad habits that are hard to change. if possible. most plays, even the simplest, can work if exicuted correctly. look at the nba, simple pick and roll. sure it is the coach's responsibility to get the players to reach their potential but a coach can not make them. they have to be willing to learn, listen, and practice. but if looking, coach ables the man for the job.
Edited by hvwarrior