Basketball anouncers

UTVB

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

occhsfanviachattanooga**** I take it you are speaking from a professional stand point or from just an individual stand point----which in either case is just one mans opinion. But i know of several fans that listen to Danny Carr while they are at the game and say they like to listen to him, and that he does a good job----and i to thank he does a good job myself---of course just speaking from a laymans opinion.

zelmarie......thats your opinion and i respect it......my opinion is quite opposite....and for those folks that are not able to attend games for health or age reasons,really i feel sorry for them that they have to listen to him do games...as far as professional standpoint..lol...no quite different..from a fans point...and if you cant stand to listen to your teams announcer and have to listen to another game while you are watching the game you came to see...well thats bad...the problem with the fans that actually say they like him is they havent heard many good ones. robin francis is a good one russell hilton is a good one jim cawley is a good one.of course maybe me growing up listening to the likes of john ward and jack buck make me have a little higher level of standard for radio announcers.the job of a radio announcer in my opinion is to make the listener feel like they are at the game...you know almost smell the popcorn and hot dogs...let the listener know little things like which direction a team is going in direction to the radio dial..what color uniform the teams are wearing...who on the other team is the star player...some facts about the opposing team...you know a little homework...i dont want to hear dead air and throat clearing and little inside jokes and snickering and for goodness sakes there will be a time when a ref calls a foul or a penalty on the Rebels and its a good call...i dont have anything against Danny personally quite frankly dont even know him....I do know he is a police officer in Union City and I respect that and tip my hat to him and appreciate him for his service. of course that has nothing to do with his broadcasting skills which are really lacking...an up to date account of the score and time on the clock would help also in listening to the game..when an announcer is broadcasting to how many ever people in a listening area they broadcast to ....like it or not they are representing the school they are covering...but as far as yours and mine opinion on this matter im not going to fight with you...just let me say this take a radio to a game...objectively listen to the broadcast in relation to what is going on on the floor or football field and remember its radio and not t.v. and also remember the listener cannot see the action...count how many times a throat is cleared or a sarcastic remark about a referees call...both ways...see if you can not look at the scoreboard and tell how much time is left in the game and what the score is...it will surprise you...if you can say that you heard a professional,classy broadcast then you won't be changed and more power to you....

Let me put my two cents in on this subject. First of all, Danny does a pretty good job with Obion County Central. He probably does it for the love of the game and not for any special recognition. I don't think any of the high school play-by-play announcers in West Tennessee do it for anything other than the love of the game. With that said, here are my favorites.

PA Announcers: Steve Holt..........Covington

Play-by-Play: Dave McCully.....(Not doing them this year, but will be back)

shooter...i never said he didnt love the game ...im sure he does...and no they prolly dont get paid much for their time and im sure it takes away from their family time and all that stuff and i knew when i posted this there would be people for and against...but it is good to have a forum where you can express your thoughts...and i just feel the OCCHS fans are getting what the radio station is paying him....not much

Smell the popcorn----the hot dogs--I believe that all of our radio announcers in this area do a good job, and most do it because of the game and not for the money, maybe not professional in the area of announceing as you would like. There is a lot of time involved in getting ready for a game, especially if it is an away game, most of the announcers have other jobs (Danny Carr--police officer) and they don't have the time to put in collecting all the information about other teams as those that do it as their regular job. A lot of times they leave their job and go directly to the game and don't get home till late. Maybe not professional announcers, but in my opinion special people.

and again you are missing my point....yes it does take a special person to do what he does im not even talking about that......the point is a professional job on the radio....he is getting paid for it i suppose...and yes there is time time to get stats and facts and the like...there are enough good newspapers in the area to get a good idea of what to expect from another team..heck even talk to the opposing teams radio guys and swap info....get past what you think of him personally...if i knew him i would probably like him too

and again you are missing my point....yes it does take a special person to do what he does im not even talking about that......the point is a professional job on the radio....he is getting paid for it i suppose...and yes there is time time to get stats and facts and the like...there are enough good newspapers in the area to get a good idea of what to expect from another team..heck even talk to the opposing teams radio guys and swap info....get past what you think of him personally...if i knew him i would probably like him too

I actually like your opionion of what the job of the announcer should be. My question is on these broadcasts.....is it just one guy doing play-by-play or a duo?