CAK and DII---Enlightenment

BiggestElk

Once again, another enlightened comment on DII. How do these guys get published?????

Richard Cowan , CAK AD says "I can't speak for the school, but my gut feeling is we would give the multiplier a try," he said. "I don't think our mission as a school is to be an athletic scholarship school.

Knoxville News-Sentinal Wednesday story :

http://www.knoxnews.com/kns/high_school/ar...2645392,00.html

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Richard Cowan , CAK AD says  "I can't speak for the school, but my gut feeling is we would give the multiplier a try," he said. "I don't think our mission as a school is to be an athletic scholarship school.

It’s obvious that Mr. Cowan doesn’t know what the Student Service for Financial Aid in Princeton is, or what function in serves in the financial aid process.

Stick to the jock straps, Mr. Cowan, and leave school administration to others.

charlie and rollredroll,

I think Mr. Cowan is merely saying that CAK doesn't choose to spend money on athletic scholarships. Why do you have a problem with that? Both public and private school have to make decisions to spend available resources based on the mission and vision of their individual school.

Richard Cowan , CAK AD says  "I can't speak for the school, but my gut feeling is we would give the multiplier a try," he said. "I don't think our mission as a school is to be an athletic scholarship school.

It’s obvious that Mr. Cowan doesn’t know what the Student Service for Financial Aid in Princeton is, or what function in serves in the financial aid process.

ATTENTION!!!

We apoligize for the use of the term " athletic scholarship". The proper term should be "financial aid for athletes". I know that's a huge difference and we are sorry for any offense that may have been inflicted.

BTW- CAK doesn't use the Student Service for Financial Aid in Princton. Maybe that's why he didn't mention that. Of course, you didn't know how CAK determines financial need which begs the question why are you commenting on another school's policies?

ATTENTION!!!

We apoligize for the use of the term " athletic scholarship". The proper term should be "financial aid for athletes". I know that's a huge difference and we are sorry for any offense that may have been inflicted.

BTW- CAK doesn't use the Student Service for Financial Aid in Princton. Maybe that's why he didn't mention that. Of course, you didn't know how CAK determines financial need which begs the question why are you commenting on another school's policies?

I would like for someone to explain to me the difference in "athletic scholarship" and "financial aid for athletes."

Does financial aid mean you have to pay it back?

Do athletes at DII schools pay tuition back if they get this "aid?"

charlie and rollredroll,

I think Mr. Cowan is merely saying that CAK doesn't choose to spend money on athletic scholarships.  Why do you have a problem with that?  Both public and private school have to make decisions to spend available resources based on the mission and vision of their individual school.

If a Division II school gives financial aid to a student with a 1480 SAT and 4.0 GPA who also plays football and baseball, is that Division II school giving academic financial aid or athletic financial aid?

A certain Division II school has won numerous state championships in football over the past six years while also leading the entire state in National Merit students on multiple occasions (and on multiple occasions having students as members of both groups). Would you classify that school as an "academic scholarship" school or an "athletic scholarship" school?

I don't have a problem with CAK's decisions or missions or that school's representatives talking about them. I have a problem, however, with words that misrepresent what other schools do. I would be happier with his comment if it read like this: "I don't think our mission as a school is to be an athletic scholarship school, although failure to give athletic scholarships precludes us from getting more quality students in the doors."

Division II students on financial aid are on need-based financial aid. Schools can decide if a prospective student meets certain pre-determined academic (or athletic at some schools) criteria, but they don't decide on aid (SSS does). A 230-pound LB on aid is on need-based aid and not athletic aid; the four-eyed, 4.0 geek is on need-based aid and not academic aid. The 230-pound LB who also has a 4.0 who is on aid is on need-based aid and neither athletic nor academic aid.

The term "athletic scholarship" is a misnomer (thanks to Dalton91 for pointing that out).

Edited by rollredroll

So when Baylor offered to pay half the tuition for my good friend's son it wasn't because he is a three sport star and they just so happened to have picked him out of about 1800 other students at his current high school out of pure luck because he was "in need of academic or financial" aid?

The intent behind the comment was, if Mr. Cowan knew what role SSS (whether his school uses it or not) plays in the process of determining financial aid, he would have refrained from using the term "athletic scholarship", as those scholarships do not exist in Division II.

I know what he "meant", but the words were incorrect.

So when Baylor offered to pay half the tuition for my good friend's son it wasn't because he is a three sport star and they just so happened to have picked him out of about 1800 other students at his current high school out of pure luck because he was "in need of academic or financial" aid?

Is this boy now a student at Baylor? How much is tuition at Baylor (day and board)? Maybe $15K and $25K, respectively? So daddy is shelling out $7.5K or $12.5K? Are you saying the father previosuly chose to pass over other private schools which cost less than $7.5K, but when Baylor came-a-calling that he was willing to spend the money?

McCallie has better athletics and academics - how much did they bid?

Is this boy now a student at Baylor? How much is tuition at Baylor (day and board)? Maybe $15K and $25K, respectively? So daddy is shelling out $7.5K or $12.5K? Are you saying the father previosuly chose to pass over other private schools which cost less than $7.5K, but when Baylor came-a-calling that he was willing to spend the money?

McCallie has better athletics and academics - how much did they bid?

He is not at Baylor.

Do you think this happened or did not happen?

I do not care if any one believes me or not, I know the truth.

This young man was offered half his tuition paid, call it "aid" call it "scholarship" call it "athletic" call it "academic" call it what you want, but BAYLOR WANTED HIM TO COME TO SCHOOL THERE BECAUSE HE CAN PLAY FOOTBALL, BASKETBALL, AND BASEBALL AS GOOD AS OR BETTER THAN MANY OTHER YOUNG MEN IN THE AREA.

It does not matter how much Baylor's tuition is or McCallie's or Temple's for that matter or how much his father makes or if any other PRIVATE school "bidded" for his "academics" or "athletics", the fact is BAYLOR WANTED HIM TO ENROLL AT THEIR SCHOOL TO PLAY SPORTS AND WAS WILLING TO CUT HIS TUITION IN HALF FOR IT.

From the Baylor website:

The ability to pay tuition does not play a part in the Admission Committee's decision. Financial aid is granted on the basis of need, which is determined by the School and Student Services (SSS) for Financial Aid of Princeton, N.J., the same organization used by all independent schools across the country.

Are you contending that the statement should read:

The ability to pay tuition does not play a part in the Admission Committee's decision. Financial aid is granted on the basis of need or academic/athletic merit, the former or which is determined by the School and Student Services (SSS) for Financial Aid of Princeton, N.J., the same organization used by all independent schools across the country, and the latter of which is dictated by a prospective student’s academic or athletic abilities as determined by school administration.

Why didn’t Baylor offer him a full “scholarship” or full “aid” – the whole ball of wax? When the offer was rejected, was a counter offer made; say, three-quarters “scholarship” or “aid”? Was the original offer made before or after the entrance exam? What type (grades, scores, etc.) of student is the child? What level of knowledge or understanding did the school have about the family’s economic status before extending the offer? Why is the child not at Baylor? If it’s because the family could not afford the other half of the tuition, did the family enter the financial aid process via the SSS to determine any further eligibility?

I haven’t made up my mind yet as to whether or not I believe the story. The answers to the questions above will help formulate my opinion.

Why do public schools have great athletes if private schools offer athletic “scholarships”?