TNT vs TMSAA

FullcourtPress

The TMSAA does have the Small & Large classifications - the problem is that they allow the schools to choose which classification they play in. This creates problems when larger schools play in the Small classification simply to prevent travel costs. Its not fair to the small rural middle schools that feed A high schools to be competing with the large middle schools that feed AAA high schools.

Large & Small dividions only exist in Middle & East TN. West Tennessee only has a large division.

http://www.tssaa.org/MiddleSchool/home.htm

Scroll down to TMSAA AREAS & SECTIONS.

We have no choice but to play in the large division. I hardly consider a K-8 school with 375 students (95 students in 7th & 8th grade) a large school. Our school does feed a AA high school. There also happen to be 4 other feeder schools (we are by far the smallest, by almost half) for the high school, and the HS draws students from a near-by citiy that has its own school district.

Why are the rules different for West Tennessee??

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The TNT is a class tourney with many top notch teams playing in Springfield each year. Many teams play both the TMSAA tourney and the TNT tourney although it is rough as far as logistics.

The idea of a real TMSAA tourney is something for which I think the time has come. I think the main reason it has not already happened is that we are talking about middle school here and that means two years. By the time a parent is fed up with the way things are now, they are moving on to High Shool and are no longer concerned about it.

As far as I know, a school does not pick the large or small division. The division you play in is set by the TMSAA. I do know at Coffman I have heard it talked about before that if our enrollment goes above a certain number we will have to play the large division tourney. So I assume that rule is still in place. It makes no difference what size high school you feed, as Sacred Heart in Lawrenceburg is a feeder to Lawrence County, Coffman and New Prospect also. The enrollment is the only way to determine what class you should play in. More numbers mean a larger pool of students from which to form a team. I don't think this is a travel issue either. Take Dickson for example. They play in a conference in the North that includes all the schools that were in the small school division in the "Boro" but Dickson had to go play in the Large school tourney.

Eagle Claw. I think I know who you are, and if that is so, your daughter is now in High School and mine will be next year. It seems this subject is still a concern to you as it is with me. If you want to try and get something done, count me in and I will help all I can. Also assuming I do know you, I love the fact that when you play Summertown, you don't just play a game, you had better be ready to go to war. Best of luck in the tourney!

HOOPS TO YA!!!

kw

Well don't feel too sorry for teams like Dickson. This school has an enrollment of about 400 in the 8th grade alone. At my school we don't even have 750 in four grades. We play Dickson each year and in the conference tournament as well. Let's just say if I took away all the beatings I have taken from Dickson over the years our school record would be very impressive. I don't mind playing them and it's hard to find teams to participate in Middle School sports. The bottom line to all of this is that when you have to drive an hour and 1/2 to play someone in your conference when there are plenty of other schools located within 25 minutes and nothing is forcing them to play. Metro, Montgomery, Williamson, and I am sure other counties don't participate in TMSAA and the association will never get any better without full participation. This is my opinion.