McCallie Rumors Come True!

matfan

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tex-

If you are talking about Coach Connell. I can tell you for a fact that he doesn't post on here. He is a close friend of mine. And if you knew him as well as I do you would know that he doesn't need to get on here and talk about himself or his program or the decisions he makes for his team. He has told me that he reads this stuff from time to time out of curiousity. But he doesn't listen to what the peanut gallery has to say, nor does he need to. He coaches his team as God directs him, not some random fan fanatic. He not only coaches his kids but he teaches them more than what shows out on the mat. So tex I would be careful when you and a lot of others on here challenge the respect that he has earned over the years. But as for me I can get on here and debate just as much as the next fan can. Everybody has their team and their opinion, that's what keeps this message board exciting!

Hey now. I don't think that Tex was trying to be disrespectful. He's just asking questions. I know that his up front demeanor can seem a little harsh at times, but I assure you that he has good (or at least not so bad) intentions.

Maybe so in tex's case, but it is all too common on here to bash him and his coaching decisions. And when anyone questions/second guesses Coach Logsdon the multitudes come rushing to his defense, while Coach Connell seems left out to dry.

tex-

If you are talking about Coach Connell. I can tell you for a fact that he doesn't post on here. He is a close friend of mine. And if you knew him as well as I do you would know that he doesn't need to get on here and talk about himself or his program or the decisions he makes for his team. He has told me that he reads this stuff from time to time out of curiousity. But he doesn't listen to what the peanut gallery has to say, nor does he need to. He coaches his team as God directs him, not some random fan fanatic. He not only coaches his kids but he teaches them more than what shows out on the mat. So tex I would be careful when you and a lot of others on here challenge the respect that he has earned over the years. But as for me I can get on here and debate just as much as the next fan can. Everybody has their team and their opinion, that's what keeps this message board exciting!

Hello Bob,

I am glad to hear the fact that he does not post on here. Interesting that you are his friend as well. I am glad that God is directing him in his coaching too.

Now, I have never challenged the McCallie Coach's respect, in fact I believe I have been as respectful as you have.

You asked me a question (you baited me) and I answered. I knew you were fishing when you asked what coach I meant. I believe it was clear to all who have read every post.

And finally, I was not rude to you or saying that your opinion was not correct or even interesting. Your exactly right, everybody has their team and their opinion and that is what keeps the board exciting!

I enjoyed the exchange and I am looking forward to your next post.

tex-

If you look at my post just before your last one you will see what I really meant. Going back and reading your original post I realize that you weren't being disrespectful. It is just that like I said, it is all too common for me to read people's posts on here in the past that have not been very kind toward him or is decision making. Sorry for accusing you of being disrespectful I guess I just saw the discussion heading that way. No hard feelings.

tex-

If you look at my post just before your last one you will see what I really meant. Going back and reading your original post I realize that you weren't being disrespectful. It is just that like I said, it is all too common for me to read people's posts on here in the past that have not been very kind toward him or is decision making. Sorry for accusing you of being disrespectful I guess I just saw the discussion heading that way. No hard feelings.

Bob Jones,

No hard feelings at all. It is also very common on here for posters to misunderstand what is meant. I typically do not try to offend someone personally, but I do like to ask direct questions on try to stay on topic or response.

So, thank you for coming back and saying what you did.

On to the post, the reason I asked my questions is that a parent of a wrestler had

denied that the McCallie coach picked his line up (vs. challenge matches), but then the Chattanooga paper on the very next day reported in an interview with the coach that he actually did pick his line up this year.

You will have to go and search the threads to get this information. But, trust me, it is there.

There is also many rumours that parents were not happy with this situation and maybe a few of the wrestlers as well. This last comment I can not and will not confirm with any direct examples. Sorry.

The duals are a coaching battle, but the individual tournament is meant for each wrestler to get to the top on his own. That's why I believe that the McCallie kids all agreed to allow Smith to go 140, and hopefully, Coach Connell was not making this shift to increase team points.

Best,

I respect that viewpoint but have to disagree. The Individual Tournament is certainly meant for each kid to shine and go as far as his skills and desire can take him. However, I am sure each coach weighs what is best for his team. He'll want to put his best line-up on the mat in order to win the whole tournament. I think McCallie has a better shot to with the tournament with Smith at 140. Possibly 5 state champs with him there. Placewinners at 119, 125, 171, 189, 215 for sure. Maybe even 112 and 160?

Well, I guess that's where we disagree. Wrestling is unique, in that it is both a team and an individual sport. When I start coaching, I will always let the individual state tournament positions be settled on the mat. This probably is not the case now, but sometimes a kid is shooting for a college scholarship. If he can win a state title, he can get more publicity, and the chance for a scholarship. Someone in Manley's position might be upset (although I don't think that is the case here).