McCallie Rumors Come True!

matfan

The word out of the McCallie Camp a few weeks ago was Andrew Smith was going to "declare" which weight he was going to wrestle in the Traditional State Tournament! I did not give this much credence, because Smith, although one of McCallie's best, is only a junior with no state titles under his belt.

It appears that Smith did indeed get to choose which weight he was going to wrestle without having to challenge one of three returning Senior State Champions, who have 6 state titles between them!!! I don't think Smith could beat Justin Blair(State Champ), Spencer Manley(2 x State Champ), or Ryan Scott( 3 x State Champ). This appears to confirm the article in The Chattanooga Times/Free Press that stated that McCallie does not hold challenge matches for all of it's wrestlers.

My question, how in the world can this happen? Or, let me ask, how can a junior dictate where the wrestlers weight classes end up, in particular the case of Manley, who now has to face probably the only wrestler in the state that has a chance to ruin his quest for a third state championship?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

andrew can probably decide because he has three other guys that can wrestle anywhere and still win state he is looking at where he can win state the best...look at the baylor-mccallie match where manley won at 160 i mean he didn't just win he pinned the guy..i would think that is why if andrew did decide that that is why he was allowed to

My question, how in the world can this happen? Or, let me ask, how can a junior dictate where the wrestlers weight classes end up, in particular the case of Manley, who now has to face probably the only wrestler in the state that has a chance to ruin his quest for a third state championship?

This happens b/c the other 3 seniors care more about winning a state championship for their TEAM. McCallie has the BEST chance of winning a state title with Smith at 140, Blair at 145, Manley at 152, and Scott 160. That's why this can happen.

Here's another question. Why is Manley going 152? I don't know how close Scott and Manley are, but it seems like Manley is more undersized against Marable than Scott. I guess Manley had to certify at 145 for duals. It's still interesting. It seems like Manley is getting the raw end of the deal, but he should have a great match with Nick. It's encouraging to see wrestlers that are that tight-knitted.

Just an educated guess but this is what I think happened. They (wrestlers & coaches) talked about this for a few day's and could not decide what to do. Manley steped up and said something to the effect of, I have already won two state titles and everyone is saying that Marable is the best so let me have the opportunity to show everyone that I am better. This is part motivation on Manley's part and part of being a senior leader. He is already a champion and now he is going to prove to everyone that he can beat a national champion. Sounds like a mature leader!!!!!!!!!!

Just an educated guess but this is what I think happened. They (wrestlers & coaches) talked about this for a few day's and could not decide what to do. Manley steped up and said something to the effect of, I have already won two state titles and everyone is saying that Marable is the best so let me have the opportunity to show everyone that I am better. This is part motivation on Manley's part and part of being a senior leader. He is already a champion and now he is going to prove to everyone that he can beat a national champion. Sounds like a mature leader!!!!!!!!!!

cbq,

Are you kidding? McCallies coach could not decide what to do for several days and then went to the wrestlers.....and then they still could not decide and Manley made the decision for the team? Wow.

But you did say it was an "educated guess". What kind of education led you to believe this is the way that situation solved itself?

I do believe that Manley has the character to suggest what you have said, and if it is true he has certainly stepped up as a leader, again as you have said.

cbg

I agree with your statement. I think Manley has more to prove by going 152 than any of the others. I also think you are right about his senior leadership. It is apparent that he is the man on the team that has shown the most leadership. Good luck to them all. I think McCallie has their own "Four Horseman", (Smith, Blair, Manley and Scott).

cbg

I agree with your statement. I think Manley has more to prove by going 152 than any of the others. I also think you are right about his senior leadership. It is apparent that he is the man on the team that has shown the most leadership. Good luck to them all. I think McCallie has their own "Four Horseman", (Smith, Blair, Manley and Scott).

Manley has no more to prove at 152 than he does at any other weight. He is one tuff wrestler. Word is that they didn't want Scott at 152 because they wanted to make sure he wins his 4 state champ. That makes sense to me because 152 is alot harder than 160 in DII. Manley can beat Marable but it won't be easy.