McCallie Rumors Come True!

matfan

Speaking of McCallie's line up, what happened at 171. It was my understanding that Huffaker won a challenge series against Hobbs yet Hobbs is wrestling in the tournament.

Huffaker had won the last challenge series. But they had another series earlier this week in which they wrestled where Huffaker had to only win one and Hobbs had to win two. Hobbs won the first match so the next match was winner take all. If you noticed when the brackets were put up for DII there was a delay for the 171 brackets that is cause they were waiting on the second wrestle off between Hobbs and Huffaker, and Hobbs won that one too. So he earned his starting position at state.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Based on my limited experience, it is (unfortunately) not uncommon for parents to be unhappy "with the situation" unless a coach recognizes their child as the second coming of Matt Kellar, Spencer Manley, Jordan Leen, etc

chattcity,

I think you are correct about parents being upset is not uncommon. But I think if the situation is like what has been described on this thread, it seems a little different than something like my son is not starting and he should be.

Also, it was not just the parents but some wrestlers too that were upset.

But your point is a good one.

chattcity,

I think you are correct about parents being upset is not uncommon. But I think if the situation is like what has been described on this thread, it seems a little different than something like my son is not starting and he should be.

Also, it was not just the parents but some wrestlers too that were upset.

But your point is a good one.

If the situation is how I am understanding it, Manley did not get any chance to wrestle-off for the position (which obviously he would have won). Of course, all this is moot if Manley was willing to go 152. Maybe some McCallie people can chime in...perhaps someone who has talked to Coach Connell or one of the wrestlers about it. Otherwise, we are just discussing a never-ending topic (although, that has never stopped us before).

Rumor has it that Connel has a very odd way of running his program. My guess is that Manley wanted to go 45 or 40 even but their lineup didn't work out so smoothly. They have 3 of the best wrestlers in the state all at the same weight, and it shows how tough they are because we have seen them win anywhere from 135 to 160, and I would put money on scott or manley against most 171 pounders. Manley will brawl with Marable but I am not sure how their styles will clash. Manley's beat on the head chin and underhook will not work so well against the stout Marable, but he has a whole nother arsenal that we haven't seen. Gordon was put in a tough position with these 4 weight classes and I think he handled it in the way where he could win a team state title. Manley surely deserves to be a 3 timer more that Scott deserves to be a 4 timer. Anyway Leen is gettin OW and all the glory.

Andrew Smith cut a lot of weight last year in order to make 130. He didn't recieve anything personally from it other then running into Raymond Dunning. I believe part of the deal he made with Gordon (and his teamates) was to be able to choose which weight he would go the next year.

Fatboy-

I question your point that Smith got nothing from making 130. He got a starting position which otherwise he would not. He's a good negotiator. Get to start on the team and get to move state champion seniors around the next year.

If the situation is how I am understanding it, Manley did not get any chance to wrestle-off for the position (which obviously he would have won). Of course, all this is moot if Manley was willing to go 152. Maybe some McCallie people can chime in...perhaps someone who has talked to Coach Connell or one of the wrestlers about it. Otherwise, we are just discussing a never-ending topic (although, that has never stopped us before).

BOTW-

Hobbs and Huffaker got to fight it out for the spot. Why would this not be the case elsewhere?