McMinn County Cherokees

atn301

Some will argue that District 5-AAA is one of the state's most difficult districts and that may be the case, but how does a team go an entire season with a Division 1 basketball prospect in JuJuan Smith and not win a single game. I will be the first to admit that his leadership qualities are suspect and that his supporting cast is no day at the park, but no district victories tells me that something serious needs to change at McMinn County.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will tell you this much about the Cherokees... they actually don't have a bad team considering they haven't won a single district game all year. The just cant pull out the victory when it comes down to the wire!!! I can't even begin to tell you how many times they have lost by 1, 2, or 3 points- I know the coaching staff personally, and I think it has something to do with them. Jajuan maybe a D1 prospect, but when you have a poor supporting cast it really doesn't matter- the Juice can't do it all himself. Mcminn lost by 1 point last night to Cumberland County... another one of those games that should have been won, but went the other way.

I agree 100%, McMinn is right at Cleveland, Cumberland, and Rhea County's level. They just haven't found a way to win the close games. McMinn could have very easily been 6-2 or 5-3 with the two losses being to Bradley and the other one maybe being at Cumberland. I wasn't at the game but they got beat by close to 20 so I don't think they could have won that one. Maybe it will start clicking for them at tournament time and start hitting the crucial shots they need.

Edited by ProHScout

McMinn has not been a very good team the past several years with or without Jujuan. They just neve find a way to win the big ones. But this year will be different. They are going to beat Cumberland tomorrow and play Bradley Tuesday. Then they will choke but by then they will already be guaranteed of two more games and a region game.

It is the same song every year. Jujuan is a great player but often chews on his own teammates on the floor. Maurice is a good player too, foul happy sometimes though. Jared Price is solid and will be a team leader next year. Lot of rumors swirling about coaching again.

Hopefully one game tomorrow and at least a ticket into the region for a couple more games.