Manley's Golden Key (Simpson)

Empro

Spencer has placed 3 times heading into his senior year: 3-1-1. Obviously a talented athlete with DI aspirations and an outstanding academic record to boot. Plus, a gentleman. With Leen in position to win a 4th state title, it's worth noting... That as a freshman Spencer actually pinned Patrick Simpson in the semi-finals. Yes, I know he lost the match, but anyone who watched the match saw Spencer catch Simspon on his back, step over into a TIGHT bodylock position with 1:00 (a full minute or more) on the clock, only to have the match stopped by some Nashville home-cookin officiating. Simpson, who was a better wrestler at the time, came back to beat Manley in a close match. But it was clear what really happened. What's done is done, but as Manley's now a senior, it's worth mentioning we could have had another 4-timer. Best of luck to all this weekend.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Spencer has placed 3 times heading into his senior year: 3-1-1. Obviously a talented athlete with DI aspirations and an outstanding academic record to boot. Plus, a gentleman. With Leen in position to win a 4th state title, it's worth noting... That as a freshman Spencer actually pinned Patrick Simpson in the semi-finals. Yes, I know he lost the match, but anyone who watched the match saw Spencer catch Simspon on his back, step over into a TIGHT bodylock position with 1:00 (a full minute or more) on the clock, only to have the match stopped by some Nashville home-cookin officiating. Simpson, who was a better wrestler at the time, came back to beat Manley in a close match. But it was clear what really happened. What's done is done, but as Manley's now a senior, it's worth mentioning we could have had another 4-timer. Best of luck to all this weekend.

Spencer's dad couldn't have said it better.

soms

Empro...I don't know what your point of that message was besides to bash some people in Tennessee wrestling. First to bash the referee, who I don't know who it was, but I am going to guess that he made the call he thought was correct. Secondly, who are you to go on and give credit to Manely for winning the match. Forgive me if I am wrong, but didn't Simpson get his hand raised (hence the state title). And a close match...didn't Simpson go on to pin McCallie's Manley at the beginning of the second period. Correct me please if i am wrong because i hate to post wrong info. Also, i can only imagine that these two wrestled earlier in the year. If these two were close competitors, let me know. If they wrestled, could you please give me those results.

Please tell me the point of this message, because it is message posters like you who make this board disgusting for me, a great fan of tennessee wrestling, to read. I don't like any of this non-sense out of want-to-be greats like you. Maybe you are living your dreams through Spencer Manley and think that you can fullfill your dream by playing it off like Manely is one of the greatest ever. Not to take anything away from Spencer, he is a dern tough wrestler, but you sure are putting him up on a thrown. Stop living in the past whoever you are and jump to the present...3 years ahead of where you are living. Could have, would have, should have...sorry Empro...maybe next time. But until then, don't post any trash like this again please for the sake of Tennessee wrestling.

yours truly,

fat man

Empro...I don't know what your point of that message was besides to bash some people in Tennessee wrestling. First to bash the referee, who I don't know who it was, but I am going to guess that he made the call he thought was correct. Secondly, who are you to go on and give credit to Manely for winning the match. Forgive me if I am wrong, but didn't Simpson get his hand raised (hence the state title). And a close match...didn't Simpson go on to pin McCallie's Manley at the beginning of the second period. Correct me please if i am wrong because i hate to post wrong info. Also, i can only imagine that these two wrestled earlier in the year. If these two were close competitors, let me know. If they wrestled, could you please give me those results.

Please tell me the point of this message, because it is message posters like you who make this board disgusting for me, a great fan of tennessee wrestling, to read. I don't like any of this non-sense out of want-to-be greats like you. Maybe you are living your dreams through Spencer Manley and think that you can fullfill your dream by playing it off like Manely is one of the greatest ever. Not to take anything away from Spencer, he is a dern tough wrestler, but you sure are putting him up on a thrown. Stop living in the past whoever you are and jump to the present...3 years ahead of where you are living. Could have, would have, should have...sorry Empro...maybe next time. But until then, don't post any trash like this again please for the sake of Tennessee wrestling.

yours truly,

fat man

This is why we should all be willing to identify one another.

Anyone know who legman is? He says anyone unwilling to identfy themself is a coward. That's pretty strong language, but I wonder if he ain't right sometimes, especially when some of you have multiple handles.

soms

AMEN Justin. I think some people on this board are severly overlooking Nick. I assure you that Manley is not doing this. And if he is I hope he overlooks everyone in the tournament and doesn't make it to the finals because he wouldn't deserve it.

Oh and just for the record again Soms. I am Garrett House an assistant coach at Saint Benedict.

See you all tomorrow.

Edited by WrestleSBA

Well Mr. Saint I do agree with you that Manley can not look over Marable who is a great wrestler and has a chance to get the monkey off his back and win his first state championship it will be an exciting match and worth the price of admission... But you should be more concerend with yourself and the chance you have in the State Championship, let the talking be done on the mat, and not worried about taking up for a teammate on this message board.

Embro - I'm not sure who you are, but I assume from your post that your attempt was to pay Spencer a compliment. Unfortunately, it didn't come across that way. What's done is done, let sleeping dogs lie.

Fatman - For the record, Patrick Simpson was the best wrestler 4 years ago and most likely still is today in light of his time at West Point. IMHO, for Spencer to have beaten Patrick that year, he would have to catch Patrick in the whip. Unfortunately for Patrick, he did get caught 10 seconds into the match. Unfortunately for Spencer, the Nashville ref with the crooked fingers was assisting and told the head official to stop the match because of blood for which there was none. To Patrick's credit, he recomposed himself after his favorable miscall and came back to win his 2nd of 3 titles like a champion wrestler would. That's exactly what happened, its all on video, and anyone who says different is a liar. Patrick Simpson is a champion wrestler, a classy young man and again, what's done is done.

WrestleSBA and cb56 - I don't believe any intelligent wrestling fan in TN is handing the match Saturday to Spencer. I know for a fact that Spencer isn't. Make a list of the 10 best wrestlers in TN regardless of weight or division, and your an uninformed fan if both Nick and Spencer don't make your list. They are both nationally ranked. There will be 28 state champions on Saturday but 1 of the 10 best in our state won't be in that happy group. The Manleys and Marables are friends and neither side would have picked the other for an opponent, but things happen.

Tom and Nick - Looking forward to traveling back to Enid with you guys this summer and doing some more water skiing in Chattanooga. Regardless of the outcome, Nick and Spencer are both champions.

I don't believe any intelligent wrestling fan in TN is handing the match Saturday to Spencer. I know for a fact that Spencer isn't. Make a list of the 10 best wrestlers in TN regardless of weight or division, and your an uninformed fan if both Nick and Spencer don't make your list. They are both nationally ranked.

Cream of the crop!! Leen, James, Davis, Gibson, Holliman I believe have all gone to fargo. I'm not sure about Hiller, Saint, Cordell, Stark, Scott, Blair, Borneman, Cleveland, Simpson, Dunning. I'm sure I have forgotten a couple. BUT, ALL TOP QUAILITY ON THIS LIST.

soms